Old 08-17-2006, 11:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Jake, we hope you managed to go camping as well as getting so much done cleaning up your new trailer. It sounds like you have made some major strengthening and brightening changes with your flooring. Post some pics of the new interior soon to show off your new look! Congrats. ~G

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:35 PM   #16
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Jake,

You get gallery space with a membership here. How about a picture of the couch?

Lamar

2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 04:22 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
About your brakes are they electric? If so make sure you have good controller. If you have hydraulic brakes replace with electric easy to do for about 420 bucks with new pads and everything (brake's also help with swaying thats why I say get new brakes) new Marathon tires 420 bucks with new heavy duty valves and balenced...
Old 08-27-2006, 10:01 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Erie , Pennsylvania
Uploaded some pics.

I uploaded some pictures this am. They're in the members area. Remember it's a work in progress. I took it out a few weeks ago, to break it in and find all the things that I need to fix. It's been sitting in the yard since then so that I cna fix everything. I camp out in the weekends and pretend I'm further in the woods than I am. (100' from the house but there's trees around) My grandmother stayed in it for a week (we referred to it as the guest house) and she thought it was greatest thing, next to spending the week with me. The next big trip is Labor day weekend for 5 days. I got the crack in the water tank fixed and the valves on the holding tank fixed, electric fixed so I'm almost set. I discovered yesterday that the full propane tank leaks propane around the knob when you turn it on so now I'm in a rush to get some new opd lines installed so I can use the tanks from the grill until I get the old tanks updated...they're aluminum so I'm going to get new valves put on.

The brakes are hydraulic and not hooked up at this time, that will be next years project, this trip will probably be the last trip for the year and it tows and stops fine without them. (It's getting closer to winter and I need to get back to working on the house) Electric brakes for $420 sounds like a good deal...where would I get those? I currently have the hydra-vac disc brakes.

There, I think I covered everything in the previous posts. Have a great Sunday.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:44 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Erie , Pennsylvania
http://www.airforums.com/photo...0&userid=14384

So that you don't have to go find them...here they are.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:53 PM   #20
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Jake,

Thanks! That's a very cool trailer. I came of age during the 70's and it reminds me of just cool we were. (Don't tell the modern kids that we knew just as much about fun and debauchery as they do now . . . and we still do!)

Nice-looking radio installation, too.

I love the couch, but I wonder if it's original? The fabric looks TOO NICE somehow.

Love the flower-power bathroom print. Alas, I got an old-fogy's trailer, and to make the point, Airstream not-so-subtly put an autumn-leaves print in the john.

And, cool man! Ducted air-conditioning in an Airstream!

Looks like you have the frost-free Dometic, too. Check to see if it has two sets of wires going into the flue assembly - it might be a three-way with a 12 VDC option!

Jake, I love it. You have a great looking trailer there.

Hmm... this is a biggo trailer to be hauling without any brakes. I would not recommend that. That sounds biggo dangerous to me.

What some folks here have done is keep the disc brakes and dump the controller/vacuum actuator and all its complications in favor of a new electric-over hydraulic controller. I think it's more cost effective than either repairing the existing system or converting to electrics. It's certainly what I'd consider if my '79 still had the discs when I bought it (knowing what I know now - and learned here).

Safe travels!

Lamar
Klaatu barada nikto
Old 09-01-2006, 10:09 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
What is approximate value range of a 31' 1978 Rear Bath Sovereign? There are two near me (unusual) and both are RB. I think both have been sitting in a campgroud setting for a number of years.

What is your thought assuming OK condition but not great...likely in need of "moving" parts?

If either was "sound" condition is this a 1)terrible 2)marginal 3)OK or 4)great first AS...with the thoughts of "trying" for a year and then "trading up". And...what is a potential price range?

Tom R

Just a question as they are nearby...Tom R
Old 09-01-2006, 11:48 AM   #22
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Tom,

Values are all over the place now in the Ebay era. This should help:

http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_t...condition.html

I do suggest that you bounce on the rear bumper to see if dreaded tail separation has taken place. Then do a lot of poking around on the floor with an awl. Look for soft spots and holes under windows, the fresh water fill, the toilet, the water heater, the front windows, and right in front of the door.

If any appliances are missing, list them for us and we'll share the bad news with you and maybe make some money-saving suggestions.

Figure on repacking the wheel bearings and replacing the tires before you move it. Also, it may have the 7-pin ROUND-HOLE connector on it, so you'll need an adapter cable if you have a newer tow vehicle. They may also have the vacuum-hydraulic brakes. If you find those, you'll have to study their condition a bit before deciding what to. You choices are to ditch them and go electric, or update the system by replacing the actuator.

Happy consumering!

Lamar

Lamar

Klaatu barada nikto