Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Just contacted the PO and I'm about to schedule my trip. I've got all the info I need on WD he does have some parts so I'm going to go up without it pre-installed and get to the first available place to put one on. I went out and looked at my door stickers on the Suburban just to make sure that I wasn't going crazy.

GVWR 3176KG / 7000 lbs.
GAWR (Frt) 1452 KG / 3200 lbs.
GAWR (RR) 1814 KB / 4000 lbs.

Rear Axle 3.73 Ratio

Trailer towing capacity (2WD) 3210KB / 8400 lbs.

My model is a C15906 with the Trailering package which included a transmission oil cooler and a 7000 LBS GVW Rating. I'm still not sure whether my springs will be adequate or not.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Just to be complete the trailer itself should weigh as follows

1973 SOVEREIGN INTERNATIONAL LY 31 REAR BATH TWIN
5005 lbs. dry wt.
485 lbs. hitch wt.
19.5" ball ht.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razinni View Post
Just to be complete the trailer itself should weigh as follows

1973 SOVEREIGN INTERNATIONAL LY 31 REAR BATH TWIN
5005 lbs. dry wt.
485 lbs. hitch wt.
19.5" ball ht.
Hi - does that include furniture, appliances, clothes, freshwater, etc? I believe the 70's were lighter, but you'd still want to know what it actually weighs on cat scales when fully loaded for camping to be really sure.

My 27 comes in camp-loaded at 5880 on the scales. Tongue weight is about 1100 (though the marketing materials say it's less than 800....).

I'm guessing a 31 footer has to come in above 6000 and that tongue has to be over 800. But guessing won't help you much :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #24

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Just a note. Most hitch receivers have two ratings. One is called weight carrying and the other is weight distribution. The receiver will have a manufacturer's sticker with these ratings. When towing without weight distribution hardware you will find that your receiver may be rated for less weight than the hitch weight of your trailer.

For example I have a Class V hidden hitch on my van. It is rated for 1,200 lbs weight carrying, and 1,400 lbs weight distribution. If I tried to tow without my weight distribution hardware, my Classic SO would exceed the weight carrying capacity of the receiver.

Use caution before towing without weight distribution equipment to make sure your trailer's hitch weight does not exceed the capacity of the receiver.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Thanks to everyone for making me feel so welcome. I'll make sure that I add the appropriate WD system before embarking on this long journey. I feel like I'm now officially introduced to the group so, I'll start a new thread in the correct forum once I start the journey if it turns out to be of any interest. Candidly I hope NOT to have anything to right about.

If its of interest I will share what I find with the new rig and any technical details about the trip which might be helpful to others.

Otherwise, assume no news is good news.

Thanks again to everyone for your responses.

Raz
Old 11-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Almost a new owner

Greetings Razinni!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for making me feel so welcome. I'll make sure that I add the appropriate WD system before embarking on this long journey. I feel like I'm now officially introduced to the group so, I'll start a new thread in the correct forum once I start the journey if it turns out to be of any interest. Candidly I hope NOT to have anything to right about.

If its of interest I will share what I find with the new rig and any technical details about the trip which might be helpful to others.

Otherwise, assume no news is good news.

Thanks again to everyone for your responses.

Raz
In observing the photos in your link, I am fairly confident that the trailer has the "classic" Reese Dual Cam Sway Control hitch. Should this be the case, you will have both weight distribution and sway control. I have this setup on both of my coaches and have been thoroughly pleased with its performance. The new Reese weight distribution bars that have a down-turned "beak" will work with the saddles on the classic Dual Cam Sway Control, but you may need to adjust the brackets forward or rearward on the hitch for proper operation (the sway control arms attach to the Airstream's hitch with two or three U-bolts so the nuts must be loosened and the brackets can be easily moved (directions for installation/adjustment of these brackets are readily available on the Internet). If the owner is including the weight distribution bars, they may be original to the coach and may have been set up for towing with a full-size 1970s family sedan rather than a pickup/sport utility, etc. The problem with the weight distribution bars for a 1970s family sedan is that they are likely 1,000 pound bars which will be too stiff for proper operation of the Reese Dual Cam system with a truck-based tow vehicle. With a truck-based tow vehicle, you will likely need either 600 or 700 pound weight distribution bars . . . I use 600 pound bars with my Overlander (750 pound hitch weight) when towing with my K2500 GMC Suburban.

Enjoy your adventure and your newly acquired Airstream!

Kevin!

P.S.: I have been on several excursions to retrieve recently purchased Airstream/Argosys, and the following link is to an article that I wrote regarding some hints that I have learned from those experiences.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #27
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
I would add a ton of patience and a Bible to the list of items to take. Keep your speed down while you learn how your TV handles the load, and leave twice as much room in front of you as you normally do. Most of us need a little time to travel the learning curve....
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
Razinni, Congratulations on your new adventure. Condo has a good list of things to take. If it doesn't come with a Weight distribution hitch and anti-sway, you will need one for the drive back to ATL. Also, you will need the brake controller mentioned. This is a separate piece of equipment installed in your Suburban. Having the factory tow package does not ensure that one is installed. Without one, the brakes on the trailer won't work.

There is a very robust and active Airstream group here in GA. Please consider joining us at one of our campouts/rallys. You will find a bunch of people who love Airstreams and are very willing to help with questions and repairs. You can find us on the web at Southeastern Camping Unit (012) | Moving WBCCI Forward!
Ok I got my trailer and suffered some damage on the trip. Who near Atlanta does any kind of insurance work on Airstreams. Specifically outer skin repair.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #29
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Ok I got my trailer and suffered some damage on the trip. Who near Atlanta does any kind of insurance work on Airstreams. Specifically outer skin repair.
Don't leave us hanging! What kind of damage, and how did you get it?

There's an old saying that the difference between a disaster and an adventure is solely in how you tell the story afterwards (trust me, I know from firsthand experience), so right now is the time to turn your disaster into an adventure and tell a good story about it.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Insurance work near Atlanta...that will be a difficult one. If you are simply looking for repair, I would start by sending a message to Skaterio here on the forum. He did a fantastic job on his trailer when a deer tried to jump between the trailer and their van while underway!
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Anything new

How are things going, did you get the trailer home. What was the damage you mentioned. Curious minds want to know.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:22 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Mableton , Georgia
Any updates Razinni? I hauled a 1974 Argosy 28' home to Atlanta last weekend and I'm hoping to start renovations soon. I'd be interested to hear if you had luck finding someone to do repairs locally.

I reached out to Skaterio via PM a few days ago, so I'm hoping he might have some recommendations or time to consult with me.
dwntreader is offline   Reply With Quote