Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Do not left your wife anywhere near these forums before you buy an Airstream. No one in their right mind would buy one after reading the hardships of Airstream ownership. Welcome to the asylum.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I was lucky in that it was Mrs Toad who drove the Airstream project; she's the main earner in the house so she's allowed to. It's not that I didn't want to get an Airstream but it was a step away from the hotel room/holiday cottage that I'd become accustomed to. But Mrs T is not one to let the grass grow under her feet and had me down at the local TT dealers' place before I could say J W Marriott and of course, once faced with a real live Airstream, I was smitten.

We were fortunate enough to be able to buy new, which is just as well as my DIY skills are, erm, limited, and we've had a fantastic first season. North America is a big place so we're now planning out our next thirty years traveling, albeit that retirement is a while away so we're a little restricted in the short term.

So, Army Nurse, there's no substitute for getting Mrs Army Nurse down to the dealers and getting her converted. Mrs T's specialty is the bathroom so perhaps you could show Mrs Army Nurse that facility first.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #23
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Do not left your wife anywhere near these forums before you buy an Airstream. No one in their right mind would buy one after reading the hardships of Airstream ownership. Welcome to the asylum.

Perry
perry

I respectfully disargue with you.
Someone has to help hold the reins.
DW.. boss of the inside.
Bob... everything else.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
It is unfortunate that your Wife had these bad experiences. Most families would say that camping is the best things they do together. As far as convicing her that an Airsteam is the way to go I will tell you what happened with us.
We were on the final day of a great trip in a class C motorhome and were stopping for the evening. As it turns out, there was an Airstream rally happening at this RV park. We met some great people and were VERY envious of these beautiful travel trailers. From that moment on it was a done deal that our next rig would be an Airstream.
Cheers
John
Old 12-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #25
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
When I was still in the Army and stationed in the Pentagon, I bought a small MH. My son and I loved it. My wife, not so much. "I don't want to cook when I'm on vacation." I kept it 5 years and sold it. That was many years ago. I've been retired now for longer than I served, my wife passed away some years ago, and I have a son, daughter-in-law and two young grandkids who live 100 miles away. I just bought a brand new 28' International CCD. I've had two short overnights, including a short hop so my grandkids could see it. I plan to use the AS to take them on trips in the summer. NO PCS paranoia with the 0500 departure! I named the AS "Silver Leaf" -- as it plays on the aluminum and what I'm getting paid for by DFAS each month. Your family will be young only once, then you can use the AS with your grandkids. Maybe I'll see you at one of the Army Family Camps! There's no such thing as a retired AS, BTW....!
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Another woman here.

I Airstream solo, but there are many families like yours at the campgrounds/RV parks.

On my last trip, I noticed many husbands/fathers were away with the kids a good part of the day swimming, hiking, ATV'g etc. The wives/mothers had the whole day to themselves to do what they want. It's even better with an Airstream because it is like a luxury suite in a hotel. Sleep, read, have a shower, watch TV or a DVD, listen to music....relax.

Now, what mother with children wouldn't love that????
Old 12-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
"My wife, not so much. "I don't want to cook when I'm on vacation."

Get the kids involved with the "cooking" - especially with a campfire. Roasted weenies and beans, s'mores....they'll love it.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
portland , Oregon
i am a solo mom to 2 girls age 6 and 9. i upgraded from a 16 foot vintage kin to a 22 foot 1957 flying cloud that is undergoing restoration. i absolutely love to camp and can't wait to take my kids on the national park tour and exploring our gorgeous state of oregon. my kids also love to camp and i feel that is a gift i can give them- the outdoors and my time.our as will be done in april or may and i have my list growing of where we are going.

i love the idea that families and couples can grow closer with as adventures. hopefully she will find some kindred spirits. and a few times out with a different experience she may become a convert. good luck.
cbcnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I'm all for outdoor adventures with the family, am also career military (long retired). We camped with tents and VW camper vans for years only recently buying an Airstream to use in full retirement.

All of the travel we did was wonderful, and the the type of camper didn't matter much. Depends on your family's tolerance for roughing it.

I think the most important consideration is what can you afford. Airstreams are expensive to buy and maintain (they are a lot less durable then you may think). Any large camper can be a nuisance to store, especially if you moving around a lot. You will enjoy camping most if you keep it simple.

Try some family camping before you stick your neck out by renting something. We are at a military famcamp right now. They have several small trailers for rent at Outdoor Rec. You will all learn if you like it, and what you really need in a camper. But don't be sucked into the big fifth wheel/motorhome or expensive Airstream as they will break your bank and depreciate like you can never imagine.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #30

Currently Looking...
Elgin , Oklahoma
Well, I got the news today, and it wasn't good...

http://www.portablenorthpole.tv/watc...Yd6cY7CXOGVkew
Old 12-24-2011, 08:37 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Oops... Sorry you have been so naughty. Really sorry.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #32
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Ah well there's always next year. Hilarious video
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Nurse View Post
Well, I got the news today, and it wasn't good...

http://www.portablenorthpole.tv/watc...Yd6cY7CXOGVkew
Well done!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Three Quick Comments

First, you gotta' enjoy the search, enjoy the "fixin' it up your way" and enjoy the trips, or its not worthwhile. Part of the search ought indeed to go to an A/S rally. Just drop in on one at supper time on a Saturday night. You'll get fed, be taken through as many coaches as you have time for, and will meet a bunch of really nice, enthusiastic people. I'm not kidding. Just show up. You don't need to rent a trailer, etc. Travel there and back from home, or plan a motel overnight.

Second, I often travel solo, but when my wife is along, I NEVER make her cook. I cook ahead and freeze stuff for the trip or do easy-for-me-to-prepare meals or grill steaks, or whatever, but I do ALL the cooking and cleaning, etc. So it's sort of a vacation for her, wherever we go. That helps a lot.

Third, do plan as you travel, to "take it easy." I'm sort of a Type A, and I've always gotten real tired of all the slowpokes and nutso drivers who are "in my way" when I'm driving a car. But when I tow, I usually slow down, to perhaps five mph below the legal limit ... this is no doubt safer, and remarkably, everyone else has to deal with me, and presto! It's a lot easier and more relaxing ... pour another cup of coffee and tool along. Tired? Sleepy? Hungry? Need to pee? Any exit or crossroads has a flat spot or a parking lot or a rest area ... any of those is plenty once you've got a trailer. Stop wherever you want for a break. See the sights. Relax. Fix an sandwich. Pull out a Diet Coke. Take a nap.

Hope you get the coach of your dreams and have fun!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
Merry Christmas! I hope you managed to get off the naughty list; doesn't look like Santa gave you much time to work on that, though!

I was one of those wives that wasn't keen on camping. I am not a 'happy camper' when I have to sleep in a tent on the ground. Also, I've found that my bladder capacity is inversely proportional to the distance to the campground toilet facilities + the weather conditions.

In 2007, some good friends of ours informed us in late April that they had reserved a campsite for us on the Oregon Coast for Memorial Day weekend. They are avid campers and have had travel trailers for many years. They told us we could either borrow their tent and camping gear, or find a used trailer - but we WERE going to go camping with them! Weather forecast? Rainy and cold. Time to look for a trailer!

We were very lucky, and fell into a great deal with our Argosy - under $3000. It needed curtains, cushions, upholstery and a few other things, but was in pretty good shape otherwise. We probably spent at least another $1200 getting it ready to camp - Sean did all the sewing of the curtains & upholstery - and were ready to go for Memorial Day!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3258.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	476.1 KB
ID:	147605

I had more fun than I ever expected, and so did our son, who was 14 at the time. We went camping quite a few times that first year, and have gone more often each year since then. I love having my own bathroom - even the tiny one in an Argosy! I can shower whenever I want to, and if I have to get up in the middle of the night, my destination is only a few steps away. Because of this, I prefer camping where we have full hookups, but we have a blue boy waste tote that we use for the grey water if we don't have hookups.

It has been really nice to be able to spend time with our son camping in the Argosy. We've gotten to visit so many great places, and created wonderful memories. He slept in the trailer with us on a few trips, but decided he would rather have his own space, so he sleeps in his own tent. He has it set up with a cot, end table, electric lantern, etc, and loves it. I'm not sure when he'll get to go camping with us again, though; he's 19 now, and about to graduate from the Marine Corps boot camp!

I can't tell you how relaxing it is to be parked in a beautiful setting, with my family nearby, and be on vacation! I can feel my blood pressure drop just by going out into the trailer when it's sitting in my driveway. Sean and I have lots of fun together coming up with new things to do with the Argosy: replace the shower curtain rod, kitchen faucet, speakers, toilet, stereo, install rock guards, a TV & DVD player (for those rainy Oregon nights), and so on. Our budget now has a line item for 'trailer stuff'!

Cooking is never a problem. We set up a table next to the trailer, and put our grill on it. Most meals are cooked outside, no matter what the weather is like. We can put the awning up for shade or rain protection if needed. I will advise against cooking bacon inside the trailer; everything - including your clothes - will smell like bacon grease for the rest of the trip!

Name:	IMG_1499.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	327.0 KB
ID:	147606

There are some great tips on the Forum for preparing food before you go camping. My favorite one is to buy meat for the grill, pack enough for one meal in a freezer bag, pour some marinade in (your own homemade marinade, or your favorite store bought BBQ sauce, for example), and freeze. It'll thaw quite well in the fridge while you're driving to your destination, and it will be perfectly seasoned when it's time to grill! Also, wrap veggies in foil, add a dash of seasoning and a couple of teaspoons of water or lemon juice, and pop on the grill to steam. You can also put them in a steam basket before wrapping with foil if you're concerned about the grill being too hot.

All in all, I think buying the Argosy was one of the best things we've ever done. And it's true - if you bring your wife to a rally, she'll be hooked! We started camping with another set of friends a couple of years ago. They bought an old hard sided pop up trailer and used it for two years. They came to a rally we went to, and that was it. Last year they bought a 1979 Ambassador! Theirs was in very good shape, just needed some water line and sewer repair. They camped in it a few times before they fixed those issues & just used the campground facilities. Now we make a pretty picture with the trailers parked next to each other.

Name:	IMG_4946.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	147604

Good luck with your quest; I hope you're going to be ready to camp next spring in your own Airstream!
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote