Old 11-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Rolleston , Canterbury
Airstreaming Kiwi style

My first posting on Airforums should start with a big ‘thank you’ for all the great information available here.

We’ve just collected our first Airstream: a 2006 16 foot International CCD. We had it shipped from California to a port on New Zealand’s North Island and we’ve spent the past week driving it down through our amazing country to our home on the South Island.

And it sure has attracted some attention! We’ve had some great conversations with folk wanting to know what it is and where it’s from. You don’t see too many Airstreams over here. We’ve even shared a bottle of great Sauvignon Blanc with a couple on vacation in NZ from the US who were just thrilled to see an Airstream – they were missing their own 19 foot!

So back to the ‘thank you’. Without the great information on Airforums we would have found it hard to choose the right Airstream for us, we’d have struggled work out how to set up the electric brakes, and we would never have figured out the intricacies of hitch weights and WDHs. A big ‘thank you’ from the land of the long white cloud!

Old 11-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Always glad to hear from a Kiwi. I've watched your All Blacks demolish our Canadian team last week. And to add insult to injury, it was the B-Squad.

Hope you'll enjoy your camper. I've got many friends in NZ from my time living in London, but haven't had a chance to visit the South Island, yet.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Congratulations on your new airstream! Sounds like you have had quite the adventure already, and made some great memories, that's what its all about.

Kevin
Old 11-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Rolleston , Canterbury
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Always glad to hear from a Kiwi. I've watched your All Blacks demolish our Canadian team last week. And to add insult to injury, it was the B-Squad. Hope you'll enjoy your camper. I've got many friends in NZ from my time living in London, but haven't had a chance to visit the South Island, yet.
Ok - time to 'fess up. I'm actually a pom living in NZ...with a US travel trailer. So kind of faux Kiwi. But loving it.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiAS View Post
Ok - time to 'fess up. I'm actually a pom living in NZ...with a US travel trailer. So kind of faux Kiwi. But loving it.
It's always good to be honest, but if you hadn't shared this "pom" information, we'd have never known the difference. Also, I'd have never had my curiosity piqued about the word pom. I take it that you are from the UK. So where do you hail from over there and how long have you lived on the South Island?

I've never been to NZ, however, I've corresponded with some folks from Auckland. The pictures that I've seen of South Island are beautiful!

Steve

BTW
Congratulations on your new AS. Welcome to the group.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Rolleston , Canterbury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
It's always good to be honest, but if you hadn't shared this "pom" information, we'd have never known the difference. Also, I'd have never had my curiosity piqued about the word pom. I take it that you are from the UK. So where do you hail from over there and how long have you lived on the South Island? I've never been to NZ, however, I've corresponded with some folks from Auckland. The pictures that I've seen of South Island are beautiful! Steve BTW Congratulations on your new AS. Welcome to the group.
Shifted out to NZ from the UK (north of London) 18 months ago. The South Island is awesome and a great place for Airstreaming. We know of one other (20 foot Flying Cloud) plus a handful of vintage models converted to coffee bars.

Thanks for the welcome.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Okay.... I got to ask, what is a 'pom'?

By the way, welcome to the forum!
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:06 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Rolleston , Canterbury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott J-24 View Post
Okay.... I got to ask, what is a 'pom'? By the way, welcome to the forum!
Ok. 'Pom' is the name used by Aussies and Kiwis to describe expat British folk. I think it originates from seafaring days when British sailors ate apples (pommes) to avoid getting scurvy (vitamin C deficiency) on long sea voyages. And you don't get much longer voyages than Blighty to the antipodes.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Ok. 'Pom' is the name used by Aussies and Kiwis to describe expat British folk. I think it originates from seafaring days when British sailors ate apples (pommes) to avoid getting scurvy (vitamin C deficiency) on long sea voyages. And you don't get much longer voyages than Blighty to the antipodes.
Got to love this forum, I learn something new every time I log on!
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:57 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
British sailors ate limes, not apples, which is why they're called "limeys."

According to British expats I know (currently living in Perth) the origin of the term "pom" is unknown; but probably more due to the use of the word "pomegranate" as Cockney rhyming slang for "immigrant." In 1912, an Australian newspaper used the term "pommy grant" to refer to financial assistance for an immigrant.

Side note, the term "pom" has been officially ruled as non-derogatory by the Advertising Standards Board of Australia, and therefore usable in advertising.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Rolleston , Canterbury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
British sailors ate limes, not apples, which is why they're called "limeys." According to British expats I know (currently living in Perth) the origin of the term "pom" is unknown; but probably more due to the use of the word "pomegranate" as Cockney rhyming slang for "immigrant." In 1912, an Australian newspaper used the term "pommy grant" to refer to financial assistance for an immigrant. Side note, the term "pom" has been officially ruled as non-derogatory by the Advertising Standards Board of Australia, and therefore usable in advertising.
Yep. The etymology of the term 'Pom' is surprisingly vague given its relatively recent introduction. I'm unconvinced by the popular pomegranate rhyming slang explanation because, well, it doesn't really rhyme with immigrant. The alternative suggestion that recent arrivals got sunburn and resembled pomegranates is perhaps more plausible.

But I like my fruity French fusion explanation. And my new Airstream, about which I am stupidly excited!
Old 01-23-2016, 10:49 PM   #12

1974 Argosy 22
Vancouver , British Columbia
Hey guys

Stoked for another kiwi airstreamer! Well mine is an Argosy, but same same :P
Anyway I guess it was a few years ago now, but just wondering if you can tell me how you got on with shipping - cost, timeframe etc.. I'm hoping to ship mine back home when I'm finished travelling over here, but haven't found shipping companies to be too helpful so far...