Old 04-22-2011, 05:47 AM   #1
Oshkosh , Wisconsin
Airstreamer wannabe

Hi, I'm Christine. I don't have an Airstream yet but I've been lurking here for quite a while and REALLY want one. I love traveling and road trips but hate hotels and restaurants. Taking my comfy bed with me wherever I go and not having to eat out 3 meals a day is my idea of traveling in style. If I enjoy Rving as much as I think I will, I will probably wind up join the snowbirding ranks(15yrs away unless I can find a way to work remotely). I currently live in Wisconsin but these winters are starting to wear thin. I've researched the various RV brands and I keep coming back to Airstreams. There is just something about simple and classic things that win me over every time.

I'm hoping that I can sell my investment property sometime this year. Anyone want a duplex in WI? Once that sells, I should have enough cash to buy a decent 10-15yo Airstream and then the fun begins. Until then, I'll just have to live vicariously through all of you and learn more about these shiny toys.

JustChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:54 AM   #2
1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Welcome to the forums.....and good luck in selling that property -- we're glad to have you!

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream):

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012:
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1973 25' Tradewind
Ringoes , New Jersey
Welcome JustChris!! As you now this is a great place to learn about As's Take your time and research what you are looking for, it helps in the purchase. I looked many months before finding and buying mine. Keep us posted on your search. Do you know what size or any other things you might be looking for in your AS? MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Greetings Christine,
You've come to the right place, welcome! When the opportunity arrives, make to you do a lot of reasearch & look at assorted trailers before buying. There are a lot out there & the condition varies dramatically.
Have fun with your journey,
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:46 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Welcome to this forum Christine. You are definitly at the right place to learn.
Keep you looking, your Airstream will find you when the time is right!
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
Nellysford , Virginia
You Captured The Essence of AS Life

Your summary of "why" to own an AS perfectly captures what Lin and I feel. We've only had ours for a little over a month, and are about to embark on our first long trip after Easter services. (Interestingly, we are coming to Wisconsin!)

We replaced the queen mattress with a Tempur-Pedic, just like the one in The Cabin bedroom, and are outfitting the Silver Otter with all the comforts of home. Having been tent campers for the first 40 years of our marriage, we have joined the ranks of the comfortable.

Like you, we lurked for months in here. The members of this forum have been So Helpful and encouraging to us as we begin this next great adventure.

Here's hoping you find your dream Airstream soon. Welcome Home!
Greg and Linda Heuer
'99 Excella 30 w/HAHA - The Silver Otter
'08 Chevy LTZ 2500HD 6.6 DuraMax
TAC VA-18 | WBCCI 1927 - Unit 149 | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:25 AM   #8
Oshkosh , Wisconsin
Thanks for the welcome. I'm will probably be targeting the 25-30 ft range. I think it will depend on what's available and the floorplan. I figure I'll try to keep an open mind about what I want and wait for the one that feels right.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #9
Oshkosh , Wisconsin
I'm glad I found this forum. I don't many people IRL that share my wanderlust Hope you enjoy your trip to WI. Make sure you pack a range of clothes, we've had some wild temp swings recently (78F-38F over the course of a week).
Old 04-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #10

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Greetings, and welcome!

One thing to test your theory that I had planned to do (and then my trailer found me in a surprise Craigslist sneak-attack!) is to find one of the KOA campgrounds that has an Airstream set up for on-site rentals to see how you like it risk-free for a weekend or a week.

Like I said, I INTENDED to do that, but ended up finding a deal I couldn't pass up 12 miles from my house, before I'd even bought a tow vehicle.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member
2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Welcome Chris- we just joined the ranks of AS owners. Love it, Love it, Love it!!! In fact, we brought her home about a month ago and we have only slept in the HOUSE one nite...our friends think we are absolutely nuts, and maybe we are-- they call it Alluminitis here on the forum - was told that the only cure was to get one, but that didn't work- we are hooked and can't get of luck in your search - and don't forget that the tow vehicle (TV) can limit the size of what you need to look for....
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome! Don't forget to budget for a tow vehicle. A big trailer will take a big tow vehicle. Then there's a weight distribution hitch, sway stabilizer, rock protection, brake controller, and extended mirrors. Those items add up pretty quick:-)
Click on the link to see a picture of the Sioux River falls near my home.
Eastern South Dakota is very pretty with hills, rivers, and trees.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
Welcome Christine. I think the hunt is half the fun. Remember - read, read, read! In 6 months you will be able to make a very smart decision.

DougZ is offline   Reply With Quote