Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2014, 11:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Airstream wannabe here

Hello, I'm new here, as far as registering, but I have been a long time reader, since every google search about all things Airstream lead back to this site.

I don't own an Airstream, but I hope to remedy that someday soon.

I grew up next door to neighbors that owned one of those shining spaceships (my imagination as an eight year old). I marveled at all the places they would go and the pictures they shared with a wide-eyed kid that had yet to see the world.

I'm 55, and while retirement is around a decade away, my wife and I have started discussing what we will do when we are empty nesters. My oldest daughter is 18, a son in the middle at 16, and a youngest daughter at 15.

I was surprised to find out my wife of almost twenty years has been a fan of airstreams all her life. Guess I married the right one.

My family is no stranger to traveling. We've crossed the continent nine times, with three youngsters, two dogs, and camping in a Westfalia-converted VW Eurovan, every time taking a different way.

Anyway, I'm here to learn. Everything from TV (I'm a bit of an off-road enthusiast, but my Jeep can't tow anything), to new vs vintage. I'm a DIY kind of guy, but I have nowhere to put an AS while I renovate it, living in the city of Seattle.

My wife and I originally thought we buy one when we retire, but we have few adventures left with our kids, and really want to take advantage of our time left with them. The Northwest is enchanting, (I'm originally from SC, my wife is from Seaside, OR), but I've always been fascinated by deserts.

Way too many words for an introduction, so let me ask a question. I'm interested in the Eddie Bauer 27FB. Just how rough of a road can I take it on?

Tomy
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Gosh-- not much of one, I should think. You do want to protect your investment. If a road turns rough when you're on it, just drive as slowly as you can to minimize shaking and bouncing. Our strategy has been to drop the Bambi in a snug campsite on a decent road, and then to take the truck on day outings into the back of beyond.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:48 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Tomy,
Welcome aboard!

I don't tow 'offroad' ... but, I do leave the hard roadways at times, briefly, or to get to a spot... but not for 'miles' of trails... I don't want to put that kind of stress on the trailer.

Hope your search goes well... get what you like. 'used'.. see how it works for your lifestyle... then, get your own 'new' one if that is possible later...

There are plenty of folks who 'boondock' mostly 'off the grid'... but, we don't due to need for AC in Texas...at least during the summer!!

This thread could go any of thousand directions... so, enjoy the paths...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
How rough of a road?....probably anything on a AAA state map, if one goes slowly.

TV? It is about how much to spend. And, search the forum, there are multiple threads on this. I originally, when first in an Airstream in 2008, pulled with a Porsche Cayenne Turbo, but the fuel mileage of 12 mpg, small fuel tank, and that it wanted to downshift on grades on the Interstate highways, and the cruising range with only 26 gallons was terrible.

So,sold it and purchased a 2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins diesel, and get about 14 mpg, but have 35 gallons, so the range is over 400 miles.

As to which Airstream to purchase, while the Eddie Bauer has the rear door and can hold things like a kayak, and other bulky items, I think some comfort is lost. My previous models were a 2007 International SS Ocean Breeze and a 2009 FB International Ocean Breeze. I would suggest taking a close look at the 27 FB, very nice, good room, and will sleep four fairly well. Or if larger still.... The 30 footers either RB or bunkhouse, really have lots of room and have larger fresh water tanks, 54 gallons vs. 39 gallons, I believe

In any case, come and join us on the road.

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:47 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
As to which Airstream to purchase, while the Eddie Bauer has the rear door and can hold things like a kayak, and other bulky items, I think some comfort is lost.
Can you explain the differences? My wife and I love the Land Yacht, but price and weight are prohibitive. I'm hoping to use a half ton pickup. The Ram ecodiesel at 28 mpg is very attractive. But I'm worried about it handling 7600 pounds.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:18 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
I'm a DIY kind of guy, but I have nowhere to put an AS while I renovate it, living in the city of Seattle.
Does that also mean you have no place to put one when you buy it? It seems to me that most places where you could store an Airstream, you could work on one as well.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
A half ton truck, properly set up with a WD hitch is fine for pulling any 27 foot Airstream, just watch how much "other stuff" you are carrying in the truck so you don't exceed the payload capacity of the truck. We have a 27 foot Eddie Bauer and have been living in it for about two months while touring Atlantic Canada. We find the 27 EB to be quite spacious for two on a very long trip. I'm sure you could make it work for four while on shorter trips with the whole family which you are likely to do while you are still working. Then when you switch to "retirement mode" the two of you will have enough room to live in the trailer full time if you choose to do so. Remember, you can always get a bigger truck to store your stuff. Just be aware of payload limitations (we tow with a extended cab long bed 3/4 ton - F-250 - to carry our four bicycles. If you didn't have the bikes, you could probably carry all your portable worldly possessions in that thing!)

There is very little room or storage capacity "lost" between the 25 and 27 foot Eddie Bauer and any other 25 and 27 foot front bedroom model. The area under the seats is available for storage in either milk crates or soft sided luggage (such as duffel bags) instead of having hard sided lockers in the non-EB models.

We find the hatch to be very nice to open up when we have a good view out the back. Below is a picture out our open rear hatch and site on the Bay of Fundy where we re right now!

We found the EB model to cost about the same as the other equivalent International models so by all means, go for it!

I would be careful about taking any trailer down a very rough road (I'm thinking a logging road.) These things have limited ground clearance and should not be shaken on washboard roads. By slowing down you will probably be able to take it anywhere that is reasonable.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EBInterirPanorama.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	220002   Click image for larger version

Name:	FundySite2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	430.3 KB
ID:	220003  

Old 08-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Does that also mean you have no place to put one when you buy it? It seems to me that most places where you could store an Airstream, you could work on one as well.
I have a storage facility not far from my house, but it is basically a big parking lot with high chain link fence surrounding it. There is no power and they don't allow anything other than parking.

I may try to find something further out.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:34 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
We have a renovated vintage with a "tall" axel and do nothing but boondock. We have taken it on some very rough roads, and thanks to that slope on the bottom rear of our AS, we have never bottomed out. Of course we use common sense about just how rough we are willing to go, but we have been down some interesting roads.

Enjoy your own adventures, whichever route you take!
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
We have been down some questionable roads. Sometimes we have found stuff on the floor. The biggest problem we have encountered was being able to turn around. My husband is very good at backing up
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Quote:
Can you explain the differences? My wife and I love the Land Yacht, but price and weight are prohibitive. I'm hoping to use a half ton pickup. The Ram ecodiesel at 28 mpg is very attractive. But I'm worried about it handling 7600 pounds.
I have noticed that those half ton trucks that brag high fuel mileage have a rear end gear of about 3.15. For me a tow vehicle needs at least a 3.55 rear end gear or larger. My last truck was a 2001 F150 5.4L with a 3.55 rear end and gave me 10 mpg towing. today I have a 2005 F250 6.8L V10 with a 4.10 rear end and I get, believe it or not, it gives me 11mpg towing the same trailer. The F250 feels much more stable towing than F150 ever did.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Welcome !
The Eddie Bauer is an excellent choice. We tow ours on secondary and gravel roads frequently ... no problems ... even parking on 3-4" of ice! You are on the right track to get it now so that your whole family may enjoy the fun together.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #13
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Just a thought... you might want to consider a fully renovated trailer from the sixties that has had a gray tank added. It would weigh less and probably be more offroad friendly. A truly redone trailer won't be cheap but you might save some dough vs a new one. The lighter trailer would allow you to stick with smaller tow vehicles.

All Airstreams no matter the vintage are likely to have some odds and ends that need repair occasionally - especially if you are bouncing around on rugged roads. being a little handy is highly useful - welcome to the forum

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:30 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
I have noticed that those half ton trucks that brag high fuel mileage have a rear end gear of about 3.15. For me a tow vehicle needs at least a 3.55 rear end gear or larger. My last truck was a 2001 F150 5.4L with a 3.55 rear end and gave me 10 mpg towing. today I have a 2005 F250 6.8L V10 with a 4.10 rear end and I get, believe it or not, it gives me 11mpg towing the same trailer. The F250 feels much more stable towing than F150 ever did.

Yeah, I'm think I'm leaning towards a 3/4 ton pickup. I thought about the new Ram 2500 Power Wagon, since it's designed for off road and has a towing capacity of 11,200 pounds, and a 1,903-pound payload.

But I'm wondering if I should go diesel. We do seem to explore places at high altitudes.

I'm not really a hard core off roader, I'm more interested in getting to the great view or spot than creeping over rocks.

I would never consider something like trying to drag an AS to the Saline Valley Hot Springs. But I like taking advantage of free BLM spots. I've also camped on some of the remaining portions of Rt 66 and some the pavement is pretty rough.

Mostly mild dirt roads and gravel. Worst gravel road would be something like the road that leads to Zzyzx in CA.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:53 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrug View Post
We have been down some questionable roads. Sometimes we have found stuff on the floor. The biggest problem we have encountered was being able to turn around. My husband is very good at backing up
I think that's my biggest fear, having never towed any thing before. Backing a trailer up for a quarter mile has to be nerve-racking, especially in the dark.

One of the joys of our cross country trips to visit the grandparents was not planning. Giving ourselves a week to drive across, a week to spend with relatives, and a week to come back. It gives you the opportunity to see a road that looks interesting and just take it.

We once saw a sign for Route 666, and pulled out the map, planned a route and just took it (it's since been renamed 491). The pleasant surprise was getting to visit Four Corners, the kids really got a kick out of jumping from state to state.

Or taking a detour on a whim to see Carhenge. Seems the quirky things seem to stick most as memories. My kids still talk about that one.

I suppose I'll need to be more careful pulling a TT. But these days with (mostly) continuous connectivity to the Net, it's a little easier to research. Back in '99, I had a primitive GPS and a cell phone that 'gasp!' could only call people.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm leaning right now on 'almost new.' I'm keeping a spreadsheet on ebay sales for AS in the five to ten year old category, to see where the sweet spot is WRT depreciation.

Airstream discontinued the International Sterling, which was a favorite of my wife. How long do you think they will make the Eddie Bauer?
Old 08-28-2014, 07:44 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
FYI, I believe the International Sterling is now the Serenity… or at least my old Sterling was very much like my new Serenity.

Re: Route 66. I just returned from some brief ventures

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fantin...7635355281002/

also

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fantin...7645669640090/

and am headed out in a couple days for some venues in Illinois.

As to TV. I have stated before the diesel is the way to go. Far less headaches, IMO, and the ability to move in traffic, go up the side of mountains, the extra weight, all seem to be beneficial.

Learning how to back a trailer……. FYI, the longer the truck, the longer the trailer, the easier this is. But, remember a few things….. very slowly, very slowly…….small wheel corrections……stop and go forward if it does not go well in initial try. And, soon you will be able to drop the truck and trailer in between two trucks at the Flying J with about three feet on each side…LOL

I have just returned to a truck/trailer after having done 50,000 miles in an SOB Moho…which I backed about 100 feet into my 58 foot long garage usually on one attempt. But, I am relearning how to get the truck and Airstream into the garbage and it takes some patience and caution.

Backing from the street into the large garage door on the far right…
Greensboro_Snow_02.12.14-3 by Fantinesvoice.com, on Flickr

I look forward to your new adventures….
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:18 AM   #17
Full-time travel family

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Wichita Falls , TX
Quote:
Yeah, I'm think I'm leaning towards a 3/4 ton pickup. I thought about the new Ram 2500 Power Wagon, since it's designed for off road and has a towing capacity of 11,200 pounds, and a 1,903-pound payload.

But I'm wondering if I should go diesel. We do seem to explore places at high altitudes.

I'm not really a hard core off roader, I'm more interested in getting to the great view or spot than creeping over rocks.

I would never consider something like trying to drag an AS to the Saline Valley Hot Springs. But I like taking advantage of free BLM spots. I've also camped on some of the remaining portions of Rt 66 and some the pavement is pretty rough.

Mostly mild dirt roads and gravel. Worst gravel road would be something like the road that leads to Zzyzx in CA.
I think you made your decision on TV right there...no need for the Power Wagon.

I was considering both trucks for quite some time and ended up buying a '14 Ram 2500 with the Cummins. Love. It.

The Power Wagon is really geared for those that will spend a heap of time in rugged terrain - the kind of terrain that I wouldn't feel comfortable driving a new 55k truck in. If you don't plan on spending time 'creeping over rocks', then the front/rear lockers with sway bar disconnect are just overkill for your needs. It's also helpful to note that the payload capacity of the Power Wagon is lower due to the softer suspension that help give it stellar off-pavement capabilities. It's all a compromise with these things. The 6.4L motor is getting a lot of praise on the forums - it's a great truck.

Your statement about exploring places at high altitude is another big reason I went for the diesel. I just moved back to TX after 10 years in Colorado and miss the mountains terribly. Once we get our trailer, we will certainly spend a lot of time traveling out west and I am thankful to have the extra grunt of the diesel along with the exhaust break for the steep grades down. Toss on some decent all-terrain tires (BFG or your favorite flavor) and you are ready for pretty much anywhere you would likely want to go. It may be 2" shorter than the Power Wagon, but it's still got gobs of ground clearance. Which reminds me, get the side steps!

I'm also very happy we ended up with the Mega Cab configuration for the increased storage and comfort of backseat passengers. I just can't say enough good things about this truck.

Now, if I only had a trailer, I could be a windbag on that topic. We are still researching and are at least a year out.

Good luck!
wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #18
Full-time travel family

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Wichita Falls , TX
Quote:
Airstream discontinued the International Sterling, which was a favorite of my wife. How long do you think they will make the Eddie Bauer?
There seems to still be a fair few of the Sterlings available out there if you look and are ok with the purple floor I reckon the EB will be around for a while yet as it offers a very unique feature with the rear hatch. With the popularity of toy haulers, it would probably be a mistake for AS to drop their only foothold in that market.
wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Most of the time alerts common denominator is payload estimations for TV choice - "towing capacity" is debated here on forums

Having driven my ram 2500 diesel for a year now - the exhaust brake when in the great smoky and blue ridge mountains makes the trips very low stress - easy up and easy down.

But for me if I were considering a 25 or 27 and even a vintage - I would be tempted to strongly consider 1/2 ton varieties to better enjoy driving them when not in tow - the 3/4 ton when not in tow is annoying - and gas guzzling

Good luck - we have two small kids and have loved our bunkhouse so far in 1st year of ownership - we slept 3 adults and 4 kids last weekend comfortably for a quick family camping weekend - but if you plan on a lot of solo couple travel beyond kids then perhaps the bunkhouse would be a poor option unless you find a nice price used then resale later (that would be nice)

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
FYI, I believe the International Sterling is now the Serenity… or at least my old Sterling was very much like my new Serenity.

Re: Route 66. I just returned from some brief ventures

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fantin...7635355281002/

also

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fantin...7645669640090/
Thanks for the pictures. We've done one across and back in the winter months and took I-5 from Seattle down to I-40, with many detours on Route 66, but I don't think we got to see everything. I definitely want to go back. But I'm not sure I want to drive across New Mexico in the winter. The winds were making all the tractor trailers sway, and it was very white knuckle driving.