Old 08-28-2014, 11:34 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Welcome to the forum Tomy
We went with the 27 Eddie Bauer. It has a little more ground clearance.
This has really helped when pulling in and out of tight places, like our driveway.
The back-end just clears the ground as I angle out on a slight grade, dodging our fence, the side of the house, a telephone pole and our mailbox.
We really like the hatch opened on a nice day
Good luck in your search.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:44 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassCan View Post
Welcome to the forum Tomy
We went with the 27 Eddie Bauer. It has a little more ground clearance.
This has really helped when pulling in and out of tight places, like our driveway.
The back-end just clears the ground as I angle out on a slight grade, dodging our fence, the side of the house, a telephone pole and our mailbox.
We really like the hatch opened on a nice day
Good luck in your search.
Thanks for the info, the additional clearance and the Michelin tires are nice. I'm partial to Michelins. I worked for Michelin for 17 years. I know how they obsess over quality.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:32 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
I have one more question and I'm not sure where I should post it. I've searched and not been able to find this information. The Airstream site doesn't have it either.

Is there something like a build sheet in the automotive world? I would like a list of available options and their cost.

Also, exactly which is the Land Yacht sod expensive? I love the nautical theme, but yikes, that price. And the price isn't enough to scare you, a half ton more in weight than any other model. Does it come with gold bars?
Old 08-30-2014, 01:04 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Oh yes, an Airstream build sheet... LOL. Actually, if you are very nice your dealer or the factory may send you a retail price sheet on any one model. Then, understanding this is the issue.

Cost on the Land Yacht.... Lots for the designer's name, then the more elaborate construction, wood floor, Corian, fancy shower, cabinetry, are why the cost. While the land yacht is nice, if one wants the real deal, the new Classic is the best floor plan, IMO. Too bad they do not put a Land Yacht bathroom on the Classic.

As to options on most of the larger units.. Over 25 feet... Second A/C, 1000 watt inverter, gas oven, UltraLeather, full awning set, power patio awning, front recliners, and of course twin or queen beds. The floor plans are the big difference. Airstream is changing their website and I believe eventually will have the options more clearly listed or so I am told.

I may have forgotten some of the optional equipment, so check with the factory.

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:47 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I think in retrospect I would have skipped the inverter option -

Options otherwise has oven vs convection micro combo - combo gives you more drawers but we love our gas oven but others never use (long threads about these sorta things)

I also had them add michellins 16 inch tires as an option (so called EB upgrade - EB has them stock I think) - it was not on the build sheet

Attached is from 2014 so it probably changed - you'll want a new one

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1409402661.584253.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	982.7 KB
ID:	220250

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:42 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I think in retrospect I would have skipped the inverter option -

Options otherwise has oven vs convection micro combo - combo gives you more drawers but we love our gas oven but others never use (long threads about these sorta things)
What don't you like about the inverter?

I think I've read about all of the threads on the oven. I'm in your camp. I want to be able use the oven while boon docking.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:35 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Well - I think for me the inverter is nice if boondocking but if I recall for a fraction of the cost you can install sometime to charge cell phones and laptops and such with a small portable inverter then take that money and probably could buy a higher quality inverter or use those funds toward a better 3 stage converter

If you ask yourself what devices you will use it for then you can help yourself decide

Just a thought anyway - I have not done much boondocking yet so perhaps my mind will change - I think if you read long enough some think it's not worth it

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:57 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
My plan, and correct me if this doesn't make sense, was to buy two Honda e2000 generators. Having redundancy and running two of them for AC.

My dream is to always be where the temp is 70 to 80.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:08 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Two Honda 2000s is what many of us here have done, including us. We find the dual Honda 2000s a good solution to handle anything... (Be sure one of them is a "Companion" model ... easier paralleling, plus had a 30-amp outlet built in.) We don't always take both gennies, which save us space when we only need one, and my back ... I can manage the 2000w on my own...but a 3000w is just too heavy for me.

We also have factory solar which we really like and can go several days without needing to even use the genny if it's sunny and we mind our power consumption. That said, if you want solar, you might want to research after market solar to get a better system.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:04 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
My plan, and correct me if this doesn't make sense, was to buy two Honda e2000 generators. Having redundancy and running two of them for AC.

My dream is to always be where the temp is 70 to 80.
If you really intend to stay where the daytime highs are in the 70's & 80's, you may not need to run the AC while boondocking and may not need two generators. And, if you happen to find yourself on the wrong side of this temperature range for a short period, you can always duck into a private campground with electric hookups. I'd give this lifestyle a try before investing north of $2k for a pair of e2000's. If you do get a genny (of any size) consider getting one that has been modified to run on propane as well as gasoline and natural gas. You can poke around the forum and find several threads that discuss the pros and cons of the triple fuel converted generators.

Inverter Generator with CMD Triple-Fuel System

Yamaha Propane and Natural Gas Generators
Old 08-31-2014, 12:04 PM   #39
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post

I have just returned to a truck/trailer after having done 50,000 miles in an SOB Moho…which I backed about 100 feet into my 58 foot long garage usually on one attempt. But, I am relearning how to get the truck and Airstream into the garbage and it takes some patience and caution.

Backing from the street into the large garage….

I try to avoid backing into garbage. :-)

My F150 Ecoboost with max tow, a Hensley hitch, handles our 30' Classic very well, although I have yet to conquer the Rockies.

New, gently used or vintage, each has advantages and disadvantages. You might want to consider renting a rig, to see how pulling is, and to see if you can fit your lifestyle into the approximate space. Then, you will have more information to base your purchase decision on.

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post

Airstream discontinued the International Sterling, which was a favorite of my wife. How long do you think they will make the Eddie Bauer?
It has been rumored for several years that it was to be / will be discontinued ... but, we are on our second EB ... now a 2015. If you are worried, my wife suggests to take the plunge and get one now.

As I said earlier, we take ours off road to unimproved CGs quite frequently. It is nice to have the larger tires / wheels that most of the new 2015 AS now have** but was formerly only available on the EBs. Used EBs are rare - our traded in EB was sold in a week. If you want the EB features, don't be dissuaded by others. We have voted with our checkbook on an EB twice and find - for us - it is still the best choice. YMMV

We found the parallel Honda EU2000 gens to be adequate for boondocking, but it is simpler for us to have just one EU3000 in the back of the truck ... electric start is quite nice when it is raining or snowing outside! The front electrical socket on the EB makes using a gen quite easy to connect from TV to AS.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
@tvketchum

LOL…. yup, I try to avoid backing into the garbage as well….

I might have been a victim of autocorrect…. or am becoming paranoid...
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
We found the parallel Honda EU2000 gens to be adequate for boondocking, but it is simpler for us to have just one EU3000 in the back of the truck ... electric start is quite nice when it is raining or snowing outside! The front electrical socket on the EB makes using a gen quite easy to connect from TV to AS.
One of the other reasons I was inclined to the two units is it is easier to handle two 50 lbs units instead of the 134 lbs EU3000, but I didn't realize that the EU2000's were pull start. Can you run the AC on the EU3000?

I see from the AS website that Dometic specifies 3500 watts to handle the startup serge, even though 2800 watts is enough to run it after startup.