Old 08-27-2014, 10:53 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrug View Post
We have been down some questionable roads. Sometimes we have found stuff on the floor. The biggest problem we have encountered was being able to turn around. My husband is very good at backing up
I think that's my biggest fear, having never towed any thing before. Backing a trailer up for a quarter mile has to be nerve-racking, especially in the dark.

One of the joys of our cross country trips to visit the grandparents was not planning. Giving ourselves a week to drive across, a week to spend with relatives, and a week to come back. It gives you the opportunity to see a road that looks interesting and just take it.

We once saw a sign for Route 666, and pulled out the map, planned a route and just took it (it's since been renamed 491). The pleasant surprise was getting to visit Four Corners, the kids really got a kick out of jumping from state to state.

Or taking a detour on a whim to see Carhenge. Seems the quirky things seem to stick most as memories. My kids still talk about that one.

I suppose I'll need to be more careful pulling a TT. But these days with (mostly) continuous connectivity to the Net, it's a little easier to research. Back in '99, I had a primitive GPS and a cell phone that 'gasp!' could only call people.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm leaning right now on 'almost new.' I'm keeping a spreadsheet on ebay sales for AS in the five to ten year old category, to see where the sweet spot is WRT depreciation.

Airstream discontinued the International Sterling, which was a favorite of my wife. How long do you think they will make the Eddie Bauer?

Old 08-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
FYI, I believe the International Sterling is now the Serenity… or at least my old Sterling was very much like my new Serenity.

Re: Route 66. I just returned from some brief ventures

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fantin...7635355281002/

also

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fantin...7645669640090/

and am headed out in a couple days for some venues in Illinois.

As to TV. I have stated before the diesel is the way to go. Far less headaches, IMO, and the ability to move in traffic, go up the side of mountains, the extra weight, all seem to be beneficial.

Learning how to back a trailer……. FYI, the longer the truck, the longer the trailer, the easier this is. But, remember a few things….. very slowly, very slowly…….small wheel corrections……stop and go forward if it does not go well in initial try. And, soon you will be able to drop the truck and trailer in between two trucks at the Flying J with about three feet on each side…LOL

I have just returned to a truck/trailer after having done 50,000 miles in an SOB Moho…which I backed about 100 feet into my 58 foot long garage usually on one attempt. But, I am relearning how to get the truck and Airstream into the garbage and it takes some patience and caution.

Backing from the street into the large garage door on the far right…
Greensboro_Snow_02.12.14-3 by Fantinesvoice.com, on Flickr

I look forward to your new adventures….

AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:18 AM   #17
Airstreamer dreamer...

Currently Looking...
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
Yeah, I'm think I'm leaning towards a 3/4 ton pickup. I thought about the new Ram 2500 Power Wagon, since it's designed for off road and has a towing capacity of 11,200 pounds, and a 1,903-pound payload.

But I'm wondering if I should go diesel. We do seem to explore places at high altitudes.

I'm not really a hard core off roader, I'm more interested in getting to the great view or spot than creeping over rocks.

I would never consider something like trying to drag an AS to the Saline Valley Hot Springs. But I like taking advantage of free BLM spots. I've also camped on some of the remaining portions of Rt 66 and some the pavement is pretty rough.

Mostly mild dirt roads and gravel. Worst gravel road would be something like the road that leads to Zzyzx in CA.
I think you made your decision on TV right there...no need for the Power Wagon.

I was considering both trucks for quite some time and ended up buying a '14 Ram 2500 with the Cummins. Love. It.

The Power Wagon is really geared for those that will spend a heap of time in rugged terrain - the kind of terrain that I wouldn't feel comfortable driving a new 55k truck in. If you don't plan on spending time 'creeping over rocks', then the front/rear lockers with sway bar disconnect are just overkill for your needs. It's also helpful to note that the payload capacity of the Power Wagon is lower due to the softer suspension that help give it stellar off-pavement capabilities. It's all a compromise with these things. The 6.4L motor is getting a lot of praise on the forums - it's a great truck.

Your statement about exploring places at high altitude is another big reason I went for the diesel. I just moved back to TX after 10 years in Colorado and miss the mountains terribly. Once we get our trailer, we will certainly spend a lot of time traveling out west and I am thankful to have the extra grunt of the diesel along with the exhaust break for the steep grades down. Toss on some decent all-terrain tires (BFG or your favorite flavor) and you are ready for pretty much anywhere you would likely want to go. It may be 2" shorter than the Power Wagon, but it's still got gobs of ground clearance. Which reminds me, get the side steps!

I'm also very happy we ended up with the Mega Cab configuration for the increased storage and comfort of backseat passengers. I just can't say enough good things about this truck.

Now, if I only had a trailer, I could be a windbag on that topic. We are still researching and are at least a year out.

Good luck!
Old 08-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #18
Airstreamer dreamer...

Currently Looking...
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
Airstream discontinued the International Sterling, which was a favorite of my wife. How long do you think they will make the Eddie Bauer?
There seems to still be a fair few of the Sterlings available out there if you look and are ok with the purple floor I reckon the EB will be around for a while yet as it offers a very unique feature with the rear hatch. With the popularity of toy haulers, it would probably be a mistake for AS to drop their only foothold in that market.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Most of the time alerts common denominator is payload estimations for TV choice - "towing capacity" is debated here on forums

Having driven my ram 2500 diesel for a year now - the exhaust brake when in the great smoky and blue ridge mountains makes the trips very low stress - easy up and easy down.

But for me if I were considering a 25 or 27 and even a vintage - I would be tempted to strongly consider 1/2 ton varieties to better enjoy driving them when not in tow - the 3/4 ton when not in tow is annoying - and gas guzzling

Good luck - we have two small kids and have loved our bunkhouse so far in 1st year of ownership - we slept 3 adults and 4 kids last weekend comfortably for a quick family camping weekend - but if you plan on a lot of solo couple travel beyond kids then perhaps the bunkhouse would be a poor option unless you find a nice price used then resale later (that would be nice)

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
FYI, I believe the International Sterling is now the Serenity… or at least my old Sterling was very much like my new Serenity.

Re: Route 66. I just returned from some brief ventures

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fantin...7635355281002/

also

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fantin...7645669640090/
Thanks for the pictures. We've done one across and back in the winter months and took I-5 from Seattle down to I-40, with many detours on Route 66, but I don't think we got to see everything. I definitely want to go back. But I'm not sure I want to drive across New Mexico in the winter. The winds were making all the tractor trailers sway, and it was very white knuckle driving.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
But for me if I were considering a 25 or 27 and even a vintage - I would be tempted to strongly consider 1/2 ton varieties to better enjoy driving them when not in tow - the 3/4 ton when not in tow is annoying - and gas guzzling
I suppose this is the issue I am having. I'm concerned about using the vehicle when not towing. How different is driving a 3/4 vs 1/2?

If the main difference is in ride quality, that's not an issue, remember I'm a Jeep guy.

More of a concern is noise and handling.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #22
Airstreamer dreamer...

Currently Looking...
Fort Worth , Texas
I daily drive my '14 2500 and it feels like a luxury vehicle compared to the Tacoma and 4-door Wrangler I had previously. It is very quiet, though you can hear the diesel when you get on it. The rear suspension is coils now and I find the ride very nice, though it still retains some stiffness of a big truck. My only qualm about having it as a daily driver is parking; it's a big truck. I'm so thankful I made the choice of this truck over all others I was considering.

Sent from the æther
Old 08-28-2014, 12:38 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
I have used a truck as my daily driver since 1979. Toyotas, Dodges, Fords, Chevys, both 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton.

My favorite truck of all time is my current 2013 Platinum F-250 Ford Diesel. Best riding, excellent handling & braking, comfortable, decent mileage, clean burning, quiet, and plenty of power & torque. I have 40,000 miles in one year of use. No issues or problems at all.

I guess I am used to driving a truck as I prefer the 3/4 ton to the 1/2 ton. More interior room, built more durable, better visibility as it usually sits higher. Just all around more comfortable. I drive my 3/4 ton like a car and have taken it in heavy traffic in big city situations, not a problem.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:33 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I daily drive my '14 2500 and it feels like a luxury vehicle compared to the Tacoma and 4-door Wrangler I had previously. It is very quiet, though you can hear the diesel when you get on it. The rear suspension is coils now and I find the ride very nice, though it still retains some stiffness of a big truck. My only qualm about having it as a daily driver is parking; it's a big truck. I'm so thankful I made the choice of this truck over all others I was considering.

Sent from the æther
Very good to know. I've never minded the ride of the Jeep, so as long as it isn't worse, I'm okay. I have a '98 Ford Expedition that I hate when it comes to parking, the visibility is horrible. I suppose the front and rear parking cameras available on the 2500 are a good addition.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:37 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
I have used a truck as my daily driver since 1979. Toyotas, Dodges, Fords, Chevys, both 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton.

My favorite truck of all time is my current 2013 Platinum F-250 Ford Diesel. Best riding, excellent handling & braking, comfortable, decent mileage, clean burning, quiet, and plenty of power & torque. I have 40,000 miles in one year of use. No issues or problems at all.

I guess I am used to driving a truck as I prefer the 3/4 ton to the 1/2 ton. More interior room, built more durable, better visibility as it usually sits higher. Just all around more comfortable. I drive my 3/4 ton like a car and have taken it in heavy traffic in big city situations, not a problem.
I had narrowed my search to Ram when I was looking at the Ecodiesel engine, but now that I've realized a 3/4 is the way to go, I plan on looking at all brands.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Well - I miss my 1/2 ton truck BUT I only use my TV for towing

I don't mind how it handles and such - it's parking and fuel efficiency that bites the big one

Oh and I hate how high up the truck bed is for loading and unloading and such for 3/4 vs 1/2 ton

Ymmv as you can see based on responses

Clearly if payload figures require - that's it

If not then I would hate to subject my trailer to unnecessarily stuff and bumpy ride

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:20 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
I suppose I need to go drive them myself to know what I want. I don't want white knuckles to be increased more than I have already experienced. I drove down 25 from Asheville, NC to Greenville, SC in falling snow and heavy tractor trailer traffic with my wife and kids asleep in my Eurovan. That was one of the most harrowing experiences of my life.

I've been avoiding dealers. The last dealer experience was at a heavy pressure Ford dealer where they held me hostage because they had my drivers license. Stay far away from Bill Pierre Ford.

I had to go ballistic to get my driver's license back.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:35 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
it's parking and fuel efficiency that bites the big one

Oh and I hate how high up the truck bed is for loading and unloading and such for 3/4 vs 1/2 ton
Well my F-250 diesel gets 20 - 22 mpg on the highway running 70 with cruise control. That's as good as any 1/2 ton gas.

Also my Ford has many extras that really help with parking and higher truck bed.

ie: built in 8" touch screen for viewing reverse camera and reverse sensors (really makes a difference when maneuvering in a parking lot.)

also side truck steps and built in tailgate step with cargo handle. (really makes loading and unloading a breeze) no more trying to climb into the truck bed.