Old 07-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
COLUMBIA , Missouri
Airstream value advice...

Would anyone be willing to look at some pictures of an Airstream and tell me if you think the price is right?

Opn Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:25 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Some might be willing to take a stab at it, but it's really hard to tell from pictures. For example, would you be able to say a used car is offered at a fair price just from the pics?

skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:28 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
COLUMBIA , Missouri
I understand. I was looking more for advice if the size & model matching up with the price, IF everything was in the condition it appears in pictures.
Opn Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
You would have better luck if you posted the trailer info photos and the asking price. In the meantime if this is a vintage unit I will look at the pics and you might try this:

vintageairstream.com/airstream-price-guide
Old 07-10-2018, 07:22 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Probably the best you will get based on an honest estimate from pictures is something like $20,000 to $40,000 depending .... Even that is a function of who took the pictures and how much they knew about what they were taking pictures of.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
What the hellópost the pictures, the description, the link to the ad if there is oneóthere will be plenty of folks here who will offer their opinions. The more pictures and information you can post, the more accurate the guesses at value will be.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
The value of any Airstream varies greatly according to a number of factors. I learned some of these factors during the appraisal process of my trailers for "agreed value" insurance policies.

I have seen many posts along the lines of "what is this trailer worth?" A good place to start is gathering "comparables" from the marketplace for that year and model. What are folks asking?

Another idea is to have the trailer "inspected" by a Airstream Forums volunteer inspectors. This process systematically inspects everything from tire manufacturing date, axle starting angle, belly pan, frame condition where possible, subfloor, windows and doors, moisture, plumbing, electrical, all appliances, etc, etc. It takes a few hours to complete. It has nothing to do with the value of the trailer, only a systematic assessment of the condition of the trailer, which is a major factor in the value of course for the buyers consideration.

Airstreams are expensive due to their all aluminum construction. Airstreams are expensive because they are an "American icon" and in high demand. If you are looking for a bargain travel trailer, an Airstream is not likely the one.

David
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:32 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Forest Grove , Oregon
Wow, this one got Belegedhel going snarky fast.

Its not what you said but how you said it. I see you are a Rivet Master, which I am not so maybe I have things wrong. If so let me know.

Just my opinion......
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:14 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is one exception to this. If the picture shows the tree that fell across the middle of the trailer, the numbers are going to be pretty easy. On the other hand if the damage is not quite as extensive, the repair costs will be highly dependent on what you find once the skin is off. Pictures do at least give some indication of impact damage.

If there is a way to take a picture and tell from it if the wooden sub-flooring has rotted, that's a pretty amazing camera. Pulling a trailer apart to fix a surprise like that is costly. It also is a bit more common than people trying to fix a trailer crushed by a tree. Some damage simply is "invisible" to the camera.

What a trailer is worth also depends a bit on what you intend to do with it. Are you going to go out on a 6 month trip in it tomorrow? Do you expect all the systems in the trailer to be in fine shape? Are you getting ready for a gut job to customize the vintage trailer of your dreams? A "good price" is dependent on what your plans are. Knowing a bit about them would help a lot. "Don't bother with this one" is far better information than a range of prices.

Lots of variables.

Bob
Old 07-12-2018, 09:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Wow, this one got Belegedhel going snarky fast.

Its not what you said but how you said it. I see you are a Rivet Master, which I am not so maybe I have things wrong. If so let me know.

Just my opinion......

No snark or attitude intendedójust suggesting that the OP go right ahead and post the pics. In other words, Iím encouraging him to not be shy and throw caution to the wind. The worst thing that can happen is you get so many opinions that you donít know who to trust, but that is the nature of discussion forums, especially concerning matters of opinion.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:26 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Forest Grove , Oregon
Starting your post with "what the hell" for a newby in my opinion is getting snarky and not realizing we all start somewhere.You posted "what the Hell"....I did not.Think about your words Rivet Master.........
I just think there are better ways to encourage and support newby questions.
Again, not what you said but how you said it.
And as I said before if I am being overly sensitive then let me know and we both move on to help this person with there question.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:52 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
I agree post the pics, we want to help. It also make everyone happy.
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:39 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Starting your post with "what the hell" for a newby in my opinion is getting snarky and not realizing we all start somewhere.You posted "what the Hell"....I did not.Think about your words Rivet Master.........
I just think there are better ways to encourage and support newby questions.
Again, not what you said but how you said it.
And as I said before if I am being overly sensitive then let me know and we both move on to help this person with there question.
I read it as an encouraging "Sure, go ahead, can't hurt to post the pictures" vs. a "what the heck is your problem just post the damn pictures already". The internet can be hard to tell what people are trying to convey, so it's easier to not read offense into things and ignore it when it's obvious.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:42 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
I read it as an encouraging "Sure, go ahead, can't hurt to post the pictures" vs. a "what the heck is your problem just post the damn pictures already". The internet can be hard to tell what people are trying to convey, so it's easier to not read offense into things and ignore it when it's obvious.
Hi

I get the impression that the OP is looking for a private evaluation ....

Bob