Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Highlandville , Missouri
Question Airstream park in Branson, Missouri

Hello everyone....

I am a new member as of today and the developer of a project in Branson, Missouri called Branson Cedars Resort.

We have themed this resort with a "retro" feel and have an additional 48.5 acres that we just added to the original 80 acres and are looking into developing it into an exclusive Airstream ONLY RV park as part of the property?

We presently build and sell Treehouses, Storybook cottages and Log Cabins and feel that an RV park that would cater exclusively to the Airstream community would be a welcome addition to our project. What do you think as owners of an Airstream?

Are we on the right track? Would enough people travel to Branson to use such a facility? and if so, what would you like to see us build as amenities for your exclusive use as well?

Last question would also be would you prefer to just rent space on a nightly or weekly basis? or actually own an exclusive fully outfitted RV spot that would be around 60'X 48' with built-in fire pit, paved 18'X40' section, with shade treatment & privacy landscaping?

Let us know what you think and also as part of our commercial area we are building at the top across from the entrance to Big Cedar we want to add a small "retro cafe" type restaurant and build it out of the shell of an old Airstream.... so, if you have one to sell or know of one that's available please do not hesitate to email or call.

Thanks for reading my post and my wife and I are looking forward to seeing what you think about our "retroRV" concept.

Michael Hyams
COO/ Developer
michaelhyams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:36 PM   #2

Currently Looking...
Highlandville , Missouri
Did I do something wrong?

Nobody wants to give us any feedback? That's disappointing.... We just wanted to know what everyone with an Airstream would like to see in a park created just for them.... But no takers? Oh well, I guess we must have misjudged the loyalty that Airstream owners felt for their vehicles. Thanks to the 25 who at least viewed the post, I sure wish you would have commented on it as well.

We really wanted to build an exclusive RV park just for owners of Airstreams..!

Michael
Old 11-29-2011, 02:17 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Olympia , WA
Hi. I live in Oregon and have seen a lot of advertisements for Branson. Because of those tv commercials, I plan on visiting Branson next year. I like the idea of having an Airstream RV park not only because I own one but it's so neat to see the Airstreams all together in a park. I think a lot of people are captivated by Airstreams so it may be a draw for people who don't own them. Anyway, I hope you get more feedback on your idea. This thread of yours is on the 3rd page of "new" posts so not a lot of people will see it at this point. If you don't get anymore responses, you might try starting another thread asking about an Airstream to buy for the retro cafe. You might get more people replying then you can open up the dialogue from there. I wish you and your wife the best on this new endeavor. It sounds like a great idea and a fun place! Take care.
Carlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:49 AM   #4

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I for one would think it would be cool. We camp there at the state park by the water and love it! It's a nice area and you can get to Branson pretty quick, I think it's easier than winding through town. I'm not sure how many airstreams visit Branson in a year but our Air Midwest group meets there 2x a year. Good luck and check out the Classifieds for a trailer, there are some project trailers there from time to time.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:01 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
We enjoy visiting Branson. I like your idea and if you develop it would take advantage of it 1 to 2 weeks per year. Probably not interested in ownership as not enough use.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
You asked for it

Well Michael, like they say, "Don't ask for my opinion if you don't want to hear the truth." "Truth" as I see it anyway.

Strictly speaking, if you are planning on opening an RV Park and decide to limit it only to Airstreamers, you are reducing your client pool drastically. Building an upscale facility with great amenities sounds like a great idea and you most likely would fill the place with upscale trailers and motor homes. You say "Airstreams only" and it might be a little harder for you.

Personally, I don't like to support places that exclude people. I would prefer a sign that said "Airstreamers Welcome" rather than one that said, "Go Away".

There might be a market out there to sell sites only to Airstreamers. That would be a little different but as someone has already posted, Branson isn't the kind of place that people want to return to time and time again like they might go to the ocean, or the mountains, or places warm.JMHO
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhyams View Post
Nobody wants to give us any feedback? That's disappointing.... We just wanted to know what everyone with an Airstream would like to see in a park created just for them.... But no takers? Oh well, I guess we must have misjudged the loyalty that Airstream owners felt for their vehicles. Thanks to the 25 who at least viewed the post, I sure wish you would have commented on it as well.

We really wanted to build an exclusive RV park just for owners of Airstreams..!

Michael
You posted this less than 24 hours after you posted your original question. Give us a chance here....

The loyalty we have for our Airstreams does not transfer to a loyalty to your business concept. Perhaps the 25 "who at least viewed the post" might have been trying to tell you something.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Most, if not all, Airstream only parks came about through WBCCI or through a co-op of the owners. The attraction is that they are fairly cheap and are run by the owners. The concept of a private, for profit, Airstream only park is sorta limiting. Perhaps as a section of a existing park? Several of the original Airstream only parks have removed the Airstream only designation in order to survive.
The idea does have some appeal to me. If looking for a place to stay I would probably check out an Airstream park and lean towards staying there. But are there enough of us to make it worth while? Except when on a caravan or rally I seldom see more that 1 or 2 Airstreams in the campgrounds we frequent anyway.
Nightly rates. Discounts by week or month.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
I agree with aftermath! I was on this a few different times since before and after your initial post and missed it. I can tell you I was a little put off with "...must have misjudged..." comment.

I'm fairly new to Airstreams, and would like to see and stay at an Airstream exclusive park, but not if my intentions (or loyalty) are questioned....
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Interesting, but honest and straight forward, responses thus far. The luke warm response is not because the OP misjudged Airstream loyalty, but rather misjudged how perceptive Airstream owners are. IMHO firing off a zinger about loyalty is not a way to promote interest in a project.

"Airstream Only" parks are a thing of the past, and only a few still exist.....the market just can't support them. Some of the ones still around (I have been to three) were built/exist due to club members' efforts with self-help projects. I'm not sure they could be replicated today, and as was stated earlier, some have opened their doors to other makes.

If you build a nice RV resort.....Airstreamers will come. But, if you start making it "exclusive," you really cut into your client base. Having been to Branson three times, I would have been interested in staying at an "upscale" RV park (if it were competitively priced). However, having been there three times it is doubtful that I will ever return.

Chief

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
I'm new to Airstreams, myself. I don't normally comment on people's business plans unless asked, but I guess in a way you sort of have asked...so here's my first unexpurgated thoughts.

I guess I would caution you about limiting your demographic as well. It's a tough economy right now, and what I've discovered here is that there don't seem to be huge swaths of one kind of Airstreamer owner, all of whom want the same thing out of their time spent wandering, all of whom have the same kind of discretionary funds, so it's difficult to make generalizations among such a small demographic of what kind of money they'll put out for something like this.

Have you done much RV'ing yourself? Do you own an Airstream yourself or have you spent any time in one? There's nothing like hands-on knowledge of traveling in an Airstream to know what Airstream owners need more than any other RV owner does. (I used to sell $6k sewing machines. Trying to do that without knowing how to sew makes it more difficult.) Do you have personal connections in any of the Airstream clubs? As in any situations where you want to cater to a community, knowing and being part of the community first makes it a heckuva lot easier to sell to them.

Limiting yourself to just Airstreams is sort of asking to give yourself the same problems any exclusionary group has, and you would have to expect that. Catering to Airstream owners specifically is slightly different from this.

Perhaps you could be like those vacation condos, and sell memberships in the pads, where people buy into time periods, and then schedule as they can? And then market to Airstreamers first and see if you can fill your pads that way?

I probably don't need to actually be asking you these things, I understand, since as an experienced developer you probably know most of them.

Good luck, and if I ever go through Branson, I'd be thrilled to stay in such a place, because I love Airstreams and always have - it'd be fun to see so many in one place, and I bet it'd feel like a perpetual rally. The cafe sounds like a brilliant idea no matter what, that's for sure!

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #12

Currently Looking...
Highlandville , Missouri
Thank you one and all for the responses... I apologize for my curt comment about Airstream loyalty, that was just a stupid thing to say! On the other hand your comments have given me something to think about and its not that I "dislike" any of the other types of RV's in the market, its that we just love the look and feel of what an Airstream says to people. Our whole resort concept for the Branson Cedars Project (you can find it online by typing in the full name.com) you will see we are fed up with building "sterile, no personality" type projects for the vacation home industry and wanted to do it completely different at BCR. The Retro look & feel to everything we do is because at 56 I remember what vacations really used to be like as a kid with my family and how much we all "really" looked forward to that time together camping, traveling the highways stopping at every Roadside Attraction we could find, going to the Jersey Shore or up the Lake Wallenpaupack in the Poconos and just exploring this beautiful country we have.

Vacations are about people - not buildings or swimming pools or attractions - its about connecting once again with friends, family and even strangers and making memories.

So, thank you all again, we are not deterred by those that think its too small a market or will "offend" people by its exclusivity - we just wanted to do something truly unique and to capture what in essence is a "time gone by..." and those of you who stumble upon us someday you will see that our focus although is about making money - its not the ONLY thing we care about!

Much appreciated everyone.... and again my sincere apology for being rude as that was not my intention. Michael Hyams
Old 11-30-2011, 09:29 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
2006 30' Classic S/O
Pine Bluff , Arkansas
Michael,
Thank you first for being an "airstream fan", I enjoy staying with other streamers but also realize that most people make themselves happy with the usual " white box" for many year(as we did). With that said my suggestion would be to not open only to airstreams but instead, open to all and offer a discount for airstreams...bigger discounts for groups. They will come and then in time and after the inital investment you might be exclusive.
As for amenities...the usual ones offered in other campgrounds....with special consideration to being level, easy entry sites(maybe pull thru), full utilities, privacy and nice view.
We come to your area many times just for the relaxation out of the "rat race" and would love not to have to weave our way through tight,strrp, winding streets to get to a site!

Lots of luck!
glogeo
glogeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
I'm speaking for thousands of RV owners, not just Airstreamers. We love to stay at luxury RV resorts near desirable destinations! And we'll stay at an excellent park in the Branson area year-round, not just when school’s out. We'll pay top dollar to stay in an RV resort that's shady, spacious and quiet with excellent utilities and easy access. Don't limit access to Airstream owners because you can maintain exclusivity by charging top dollar if the campground is truly a resort. Also, Airstreamers don’t mind parking next to Prevosts. Design and build an RV resort near a great destination, such as Branson, charge top dollar and we’ll be there!
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #15

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Resort

I agree with the dont limit yourself to only Airstreams. It would be nice but I think it would hard to only rent to Airstreams. Im setting up a rally in Hot Springs AR at Catherine's Landing at were getting a rally rate of $35 a night. It seems high until you see the grounds and the set up. All built for big rigs on level concrete pads with wifi, salt water pool, boat docks, pontoon rental, canoe and kyack rentals, super cool clubhouse etc. Its a fancy place so a few extra $$ isnt bad. We normally avoid RV parks but this will feel like a resort vrs a trailer park. Good luck and keep us posted.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Thumbs up

I grew up in St.Louis and spent most of my summers in the Branson area. Infact we camped at Old highway 86 on hwy UU. I now live in Co and just this spring we bought an Airstream and joined the forum. Ever other year we go back to Table Rock Lake at Old Highway 86 and camp for a few weeks with my whole family, about 15 of us. It would be nice to have a new place to go. Will there be any places on shore front to camp? The is my all time best place to vacation. Just dying to take our Airstream there and camp. Well good luck to what ever you decide to do, and let us know.

Jim
Old 11-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamRollin View Post
I grew up in St.Louis and spent most of my summers in the Branson area. Infact we camped at Old highway 86 on hwy UU. I now live in Co and just this spring we bought an Airstream and joined the forum. Ever other year we go back to Table Rock Lake at Old Highway 86 and camp for a few weeks with my whole family, about 15 of us. It would be nice to have a new place to go. Will there be any places on shore front to camp? The is my all time best place to vacation. Just dying to take our Airstream there and camp. Well good luck to what ever you decide to do, and let us know.

Jim
FYI StreamRollin, Old 86 was closed the entire season this year. We had tremendous rains in the spring. Table Rock flooded all Corps campgrounds and many, such as 86 were not opened at all.

Millcreek, which was in its first year of remodel was basically closed also, save a few sites which were higher in elevation.

Looks like the Corps of Engineers is being "penny wise, but pound foolish", when is comes to the various shore line campgrounds. They're not in a big hurry to restore the damage done.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We don't own an Airstream (yet), but I'd agree with JBinKC. Come up with a great park, designed for today's RV's, and you will keep it filled. Spend some time on several forums, paying attention to what people like and don't like. Consider having most, if not all, of your spots pull-through ones long enough to accommodate a large MH with toad or HDT and large FW. Electrical should have both 30A and 50A service at each site.

I like your idea of being able to purchase a lot. We're looking to be full-timers traveling the country for a few years, but if that idea were to fall through, the Branson area is where we'd like to settle down. If we did that we'd be part-timers, so we'd be interested in having our spot looked after, or better yet, rented out, when we're gone. Will you be offering that service? Take a look at Escapees parks.

Good luck with your ideas. Since we're not all that far from Branson, and like to visit there, we may just show up on your doorstep one of these days.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:31 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
FYI StreamRollin, Old 86 was closed the entire season this year. We had tremendous rains in the spring. Table Rock flooded all Corps campgrounds and many, such as 86 were not opened at all.

Millcreek, which was in its first year of remodel was basically closed also, save a few sites which were higher in elevation.

Looks like the Corps of Engineers is being "penny wise, but pound foolish", when is comes to the various shore line campgrounds. They're not in a big hurry to restore the damage done.
That's to bad about the flooding this year. We were there in 2010 in July,(nothing better than the fireworks display at Big Cedar Lodge) and I believe that we had a trip planned in 07 and the camp ground was flooded to.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
There is no reason you can't have airstream only events two or three times a year. You could also host antique car shows etc. Antique engine shows are pretty cool as well. You could host as many retro events as you want to. You could have cabins with different retro themes. I would not go too touristy/campy though.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote