Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
airstream owner wannabe

Hi, my name is Sandy. My husband and I are retiring this year, and looking for a vintage Airstream to do some traveling in (with our 3 cats). We have just begun to look, and I have been reading everything I can find on the web about owning one, and I can't wait to find "our" trailer. I have fallen in love with the Argosies at this point, I love the big front wrap around windows and all the light! Seems that they are a few out there, but they are always in California or Florida, and that is a long ways from Missouri just to go look at a trailer! We hope to find about a 22-24 ft Airstream or Argosy somewhere in the fourstate area that we can look at in a day or two drive. We are not really mechanically inclined so we need something that is pretty much road ready, and is sound, but we can redo the interior ourselves if need be, and anyway I like to pick out my own fabrics, floor coverings, etc. Any comments to help a newbie? Ideas? Don't have a TV yet but looking at the new Toyota Tundra.
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Hi Sandy, welcome.
I'm assuming that you have found the classified section here?
You can reduce your risk on a long-distance purchase by using one of the volunteer inspectors here on the forums. You would still probably want to make the final judgement in person, but this would give you some local eyes to give you an unbiased initial opinion.
Besides, California is a great place to vist!
Nice to have you here,
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:28 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Best of luck in finding the perfect Airstream. You've now found the place for the best Airstream info out there.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
_

. , .
hi izzi and welcome to the argosy forums!

there really are LOTS of units available in middle america, just gotta cut some brush and go looking!

best thing to do while learning is to look and and get inside as many 'streams as possible.

while mostly new stuff visiting a dealer lot is good because u can see dozens of units in an afternoon.

also great is FORUM RALLYS, where again lots of units can be viewed.

there is a rally next month very close to you and there will be fun folks, food and trailers to see!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/cale...y=2008-4-4&c=1

check out the rally info (above) for this rally and join the cyber chat below!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...lly-38700.html

you could drive down for a day or rent a room in the lodge and enjoy ALL of the fun stuff planned.

with bbq and road kill cooking the focus that weekend, you might wanna leave the kitties home!

go for it!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Welcome to another Missourian on the forum! I understand your attraction to the Argosy line. We love our larger Airstream, but I'm always looking for a small Argosy-for-sale advertisement in our paper (how we found our current A/S). Good luck in your hunt. I agree; they always seem to be far away, not here at home. Be sure and visit the Branson forum rally that 2air speaks of in the post above. This will give you lots of things to think about and to be even more confused by! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Thanks about the info on the Branson rally, in fact we have a vacation coming up the first week in April and that will be perfect for us to go and look around for the day. We have found a 76 Safari that we will look at next week, a 22' that may work for us if it is in good condition. At least until we find the perfect Argosy! In the meantime, we are still looking!
Old 03-04-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
You might want to contact Gene at Airstream of Arkansas--if he doesn't have what you are looking for he might be able to get a line on one for you! He is Airhog1 on the forums or at Airstream of Arkansas: RVs for Sale in Searcy, AR - Airstream, Airstream Trailers For Sale - Airstream Travel Trailer.

Congrats! You will never regret your decision. Airstreams and Argosys are GREAT!!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Welcome to the forums.

It is always nice to see another Missourian on here...we are growing!

We will be attending the Branson rally the 2-6th of April so feel free to grab a room at the lodge if you don't have a trailer (We have another member joining us, but staying at the lodge). I will 2nd Alumatube's endorsement of Airstream of Arkansas, and have bought a trailer from them myself.

Steve
Old 03-04-2008, 05:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Thanks, we just live in Joplin so it is a short drive for us. We'll just come down for the day.Hope to meet some of you all there.

We did get in touch with Airstream of Arkansas, they said they didn't have anything right now but would get in touch if they did.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Hi folks! Been Airstream shopping, looked at a 76 25' Argosy yesterday but decided it wasn't quite the one for us...if anybody is interested it is at Bison Campers south of Springfield, Mo. Not in bad shape but does need some tlc. Just needs a loving home!
Old 03-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Argosy in classifieds?

Saw a 76 Argosy in the classifieds this morning, and not knowing what the heck we are really doing about maybe buying it, how do we find out whether it is a good deal or not? We can't go look at it for 2 weeks, and by that time it may not be there any more. Comments please? Do we just "go for it" or what is the best way to proceed? We are really nervous about doing that. Have already emailed the seller but so far he hasn't responded.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Don't buy it sight unseen.
At the minimum, post here on the forums requesting someone to inspect it for you. There are many who do this as a service. This is the minimum I would suggest.
It is so easy to get burned, especially on the older units.
Good luck,
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Old 03-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
argosy in classifieds

That's what I was thinking, don't want to buy anything I haven't actually laid my hands on. But where in this forum should I post a question like that? How do I find out if this seller is reliable??? He is a member here.I did look at his feedback. One of these days I will learn more about everyone, and I am really looking forward to that!
Old 03-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Good question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora
That's what I was thinking, don't want to buy anything I haven't actually laid my hands on. But where in this forum should I post a question like that? How do I find out if this seller is reliable??? He is a member here.I did look at his feedback. One of these days I will learn more about everyone, and I am really looking forward to that!
I would post it in the "Off topic" forum, if that isn't where it belongs a Moderator can move it.
Just make sure that the inspector isn't the seller.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Old 03-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Argosy in classifieds?

Thanks, I appreciate it. I will do that. I looked everywhere on here for inspectors, and if there is a list, I sure couldn't find it!
Old 03-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #16
_

. , .
hi izzi...

the trailer in question looks solid...

the "bat cave man" is well known in our little a/s world.

i'm sure he will respond when time permits.

here is your thread on inspectors...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...tor-22956.html

now...

imo having someone inspect this trailer, isn't the most important issue.

if i've got this right, in just a few weeks you've gone from falling in love with streams...

to buying one sight unseen and having never even been INSIDE one yet?

i'm all for adventure and impulsive actions sometimes but,

you are total newbies to rv camping and have never towed yet either?

while it may seem like there aren't many units available, that's really not so...

there are LOTS. you really need to get inside some.

and with spring about to happen the midwest units will start to pop up, as they do every spring.

reading does help some, but it may only be fueling the excitement at this point.

the unit mr T has up looks fine but there are and will be others.

what u think u want, what u find is needed, and the reality of a 30 year old mobile house...

come together better after being inside new, old, clean, beatup 'streams...

don't toss money into a good trailer that may NOT meet your needs...

and an inspector can't reveal those secrets for ya...

cheers
2air'

if you are going to the branson rally, u will be SO MUCH SMARTER afterwards....

that old hats won't fit no more!!!

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:54 PM   #17
_

. , .
and here are 2 MORE suggestions....

1. RENT an rv for a week, and go somewhere...

many folks who have never rv'd find out this way,

IF the like the lifestyle or not.

it doesn't have to be a trailer or even a stream...

ANY moho, class b, white box thing will work.

then visit some rv parks, state parks and walmart parking lots, with it....

2. ALSO u are just 20 minutes from one of the LARGEST rv salvage yards on the planet!

COLAW RV PARTS & SALVAGE | WE HAVE YOUR PART!

and they often have 'parts' of old steams...moho and trailers....

you probably won't find one to buy, travel or live it, but you will see some, that's for sure.

it is sort of like going to a junk yard before buying a new car!

honestly it will be a valuable learning experience and it's RIGHT IN YOUR OWN BACKYARD...

cheers
2air'

Old 03-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Inspector wanted

Thanks so much for your info, I will check that link to inspectors. I know, I know, there will be some more coming up, maybe closer to home! And I am sure we will be MUCH more informed after the Branson rally, I can't wait to go there! Just really getting axious to find one. Got rivets in my britches, lol! Does anyone know anything about The Airstream Guy in Herington, KS? We are going to drive up to see him tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:02 PM   #19
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora
... Does anyone know anything about The Airstream Guy in Herington, KS? We are going to drive up to see him tomorrow.
he attended the fall rally in branson with a trailer...

and did a polishing demo, as i recall.

cheers
2air'

Old 03-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
wannabe owners!

We have been to Colaw's, they just sort of laughed at us. Got nothing olderthan a 2000 anything on their lot. Tried to sell us something else. I used to camp in a Spartan, for a while, and an assortment of other trailers and moblie homes, so I am not a stranger to them. And we have two brothers who have 5th wheels, so we have been innundated with trailers for a while now. I have always wanted an Airstream, and I have gotten my husband infected with aluminum fever now too! But we will keep looking. I like the floor plan of that one in the classifieds, it would fit us perfectly.