Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2008, 02:08 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
wannabe owner

Actually we have looked at several of them, a couple locally but not the right one yet. We looked at a few dealerships on our way home from Arizona last mont. Not exactly a new idea, been kicking it around for a couple of years now, since we decided to retire this year.
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The big wrap around windows are not limited to the Argosy. Our '86 Sovereign has them and they are great -- lots of light, great view (usually).

The big thing in purchasing used is to look beyond the cosmetics. New curtains - easy. New flooring - less so but doable at home (but rotten subfloor is a big problem). Appliances - reasonable (mostly). Frame corrosion or sag - run away, run away!

Search the Forums, get inspection tips and, if possible, get one of the volunteer inspectors to look at any potential purchase.

It took us 5 months to find ours so be patient...

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
Bat Cave Man

Hi! I also bought my vintage trailer from Richard T in Bat Cave. He is sometimes a little slow to respond - but he is reliable - so keep trying.
And I checked the classifieds and did not see a "sold" on that unit. If you decide to go to Bat Cave, NC - it's a drive from any airport - but a beautiful and scenic ride. Don't give up!
pcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:18 PM   #24
_

. , .
that's good info, not included in the first post...

having been in and around so many rvs, make a big difference.

what the heck, hitch up and go to the bat cave n buy the 'gosy

you'll be all set for the rally!

the ad says the unit is 'readytocamp', maybe it's got your name on it...

heck' i might buy it

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
No project!

We are definitely not interested in a project, we have plenty of those to do around home! I have been studying the forums for a while now, learned a lot about what and what we don't want. All the "project" we are interested is cosmetic. So we need a solid trailer with most everything working on it. I know what there will always be something to do, but we don't need anything major to replace, and most assuredly don't want to be taking anything down to it's skins! But as for trailering, we camp a lot, and I have been trailering before. My huband was a landscaper for years, so he has hauled a lot of trailers of one kind or another, no newbie at that.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:28 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Richard seems to be a very honest person. If you get to talk to him he will tell you about what he has and may be able to send you pictures. Keep trying to reach him or PM him from this site. I love my little Argosy, 1978 - 24ft. They are great trailers. We now have a 31ft Sovereign too, so be careful. The addiction is strong and you already seem to have an addictive personality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00384.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	56019   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00040.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	56020  

juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
I love yours! That is the kind of set up we want, with the back gaucho and front dinette. We looked at one up by Springfield, Mo but it had the curbside dinette, and the back door with the front dinette also. It wasn't the right floor plan for just the two of us. Also needed a bit too much work for us. We will keep looking, maybe the one Richard has is the right one. We'll see. Thanks everybody for your input.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:03 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Found this on craigslist, honest opinion, please, before we make a trip to Dallas!

1955 Airstream
Old 03-12-2008, 10:11 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Isadora,

look on the branson rally thread for the forum member named john baker. He is a really nice guy and I bet he wouldn't mind going and looking at this trailer for you to ensure that everything is alright with it. I believe there is also a well known AS shop near Dallas that could look at it and ensure it's safety. Not knowing the true condition I would say it is priced too high, but then again, it may be an amazing deal. 13 Panels are nice to have as well.

You could likely get this one for a lower price than asking, but it may be too big for you.

Steve
Old 03-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
I saw that one, I do like it but it is too big. we just need something around 24 ft. My husband liked this one in Dallas, but I don't know.....don't the 1950's trailers lack a black water tank? Unless it has been retro fitted. We haven't been able to get hold of the owner yet. I liked the looks of it, but....I kind of thought it was overpriced too but if it is sound and ready to go, maybe not.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:19 PM   #31
_

. , .
50s units are narrower, have less storage and 50 YEAR OLD appliances.

while the flooring may be new, does that include the subfloor?

it very likely doesn't have ANY holding tanks and and a very small fresh water tank that is also 50 yrs old...

so travel will become an issue, as some parks do not allow blue totes...

it may also have leaf spring axles and may need brakes, or new spindles and hubs.

while it has a roof air, keeping a unit like this cool in midwest summers and warm in midwest winters IS a big issue.

IF this unit were really ready for current camping needs and fully restored it would be priced at 2-3 times that figure.

i see a back yard PROJECT not a ' lets go camping' unit...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:09 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Thanks, we have decided to go with Richard T's Argosy, will be going to pick it up in a couple of weeks. We are excited! MIght not make the Branson Rally, we might not be back in time.

If anybody else wants that '55, you are welcome to go for it!

Now. My husband gets to indulge his truck fever, and we are going truck shopping!
Old 03-13-2008, 03:00 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Congratulations. You will love the Argosy; however, even a camping ready trailer will have you adding and re-doing things. It is the most fun you will ever have though. I hope you enjoy yours and I would love to see it when you get it home. Joplin is not that far from Chandler.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:03 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Just went to Clasifieds and looked over your new trailer. Boy, does that look nice. I'm not certain if it's the same layout as ours. We have the front couch that makes a double bed, and the mid double bed. Take pictures when you get it home.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:16 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Did you go to Richard T's flicker? He has more pics of it there, just click on his name and it takes you to his page, then on his flicker site. It has the back double bed, front dinette that makes into a bed, and it looks really good. JUst the lfloorplan we wanted. I don't think we could find one that suited us better, with the condition it is in apparently we don't have to do anything to it, but of course we will, rugs and carpet and the cork flooring I want, and new curtains, etc. LOL can't take the decorator out of us, can they? Hope we can get together, as you say, you aren't far from us!
Old 03-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I was also thinking about that '55 in Dallas, but from what I've seen in my brief couple of months of looking, and from what vets like 2Air above have said about similar cases, it really does look more like a "project" than a "ready-to-camp." And an $8500 startup cost for a project like that seems pretty steep to me. But, I do still love the look of the 13-panel.

On the 31' 1966 that soldiermedic posted, I called and talked to the guy, who is really nice. Their folks have a lake house so they just don't use the trailer that often. It's probably closer to being camp-ready than the '55, the owner towed it to Florida and back just last year (claims to have anyway, I'd certainly check out the running gear and tires first regardless). I really like the looks of that one, and agree that he'll probably go lower because he has already come down from over $5K just in the last couple of weeks, but it's a bit too big for me as well. I'm really looking more for an Overlander-sized trailer.

Anyway, congrats on the new Argosy. It looks like a real nice one!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote