Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2017, 10:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Newmarket , Ontario
Airstream Newbies

Hello fellow Airstreamers! I'm very excited to be able to say that. We're first-timers expecting delivery of our 2017 FC 28 next month. We're still getting over the shock of taking the plunge. It's kind of like jumping into a cold lake - exhilarating but it takes your breath away for a while.

Right now we're in prep mode, getting all of the stuff we'll need (or at least, stuff we think we'll need). And so much to think about - insurance, storage, and where do you put all of your pots and pans in a 28?

See you on the forums!
IrkdScientst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
28'; where to store stuff...good question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrkdScientst View Post
Hello fellow Airstreamers! I'm very excited to be able to say that. We're first-timers expecting delivery of our 2017 FC 28 next month. We're still getting over the shock of taking the plunge. It's kind of like jumping into a cold lake - exhilarating but it takes your breath away for a while.

Right now we're in prep mode, getting all of the stuff we'll need (or at least, stuff we think we'll need). And so much to think about - insurance, storage, and where do you put all of your pots and pans in a 28?

See you on the forums!
Welcome to the Forum...we have owned 3- 25's including a Safari model which had the dinette and L-shaped couch...we loved the layout and have always liked the 28' for that set up; except for your question about storage. They likely did not have a woman on the design team for the 28', or there would be more logical storage then what is there. After all, who want to open a cupboard door to get at drawers in galley area or open a trick flip-cabinet door to get at the closet; and where is the pantry? Love the dinette and the couch layout and counter/sink layout! I am sure you will tell us how you like it once you have access to your new unit! How exciting!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:23 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
We did the same thing and ordered a 26U. Not total newbies, but pretty darn close (bought an Rpod and too small). So for us there is certainly an amount shock and disbelief that flows from day to day. Keep asking myself "What are you doing?" Only time will tell I suppose.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:37 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Leawood , Kansas
Hello! We are new Airstream owners as well. We took delivery of our 2017 Int'l Serenity 28FB in November, and just completed our first long road trip...2 months. We are also new to camping/glamping, so this was a new and fun experience! Happy to announce that we didn't get on each others nerves either.
Our setup works perfect for us, plenty of storage room if we don't bring a lot of clutter....essentials only. Under the bed (in the bins) were sweaters/bulkier items, while some shoes went in another bin. We were also able to squeeze in extra paper towels, foil, cling wrap etc. In the side tables, we bought fabric "boxes" to store undergarments , and a catch all/random stuff tote fits in there too. I'm a meal planner (keeps things organized and stress free), so a weeks worth of planning for dry goods (in top side storage), along with snacks and misc. Plates, some bowls, collapsible salad spinner, coffee cups, etc, in lower pull out. My Instant Pot (pretty big) fits in 2 places, the small part goes in the storage above the table, and the heavier part goes in storage below sofa. Pots/pans go under sink/above "pantry", and in the oven when not in use.
Paper plates/napkins/dvd's and some bar items also go above the table. Dog food/supplies go in one of the drawers, and voila!
In the double wide closet, we stored linens on the top, 1 1/2 - 2 weeks worth of clothes, some shoes (along with a few dryer sheets to keep it smelling fresh). We have a collapsible laundry bag that we keep in the shower while not in use. Keeping the vent open and giving the shower a quick wipe down keeps the odor and moisture out.
All other things, like camping chairs etc, go in the bed of the truck.....along with bikes.
That's it! Like I said, works for us. Good luck!
graygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Newmarket , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
... After all, who want to open a cupboard door to get at drawers in galley area or open a trick flip-cabinet door to get at the closet; and where is the pantry? Love the dinette and the couch layout and counter/sink layout!...
Agree 100%. I'm hoping we will learn to live with the quirks. One of the big issues for us was, ummm, bathroom space. I'm very tall and most of the other layouts are quite cramped in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graygoose View Post
Hello! We are new Airstream owners as well. We took delivery of our 2017 Int'l Serenity 28FB in November ... plenty of storage room if we don't bring a lot of clutter....essentials only...
Glad you're enjoying your new rig. Thanks for the tips! That's probably the key to happiness in any Airstream since they're infamous for their lack of storage space. Reduce clutter and bring only what you need.
IrkdScientst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Leawood , Kansas
Agreed! And yes, it can be tight in other areas, as I'm 5'8", and my husband is 6'5"....We managed and weren't complaining about it! It wasn't an issue for us.
graygoose is offline   Reply With Quote