Old 06-19-2010, 08:10 AM   #15
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Hey, Josh!

I wish you the best in whichever you choose - this is highly personal and you have to be comfortable with the financial outlay and your budget.

The ONLY complaint (for me personally) that I have with the non-AS unit you selected is that I do not see any windows on either the front or the rear of the unit.

Our personal experience with our 25FB (great layout!), is that we most often back right into our view, and I love sitting at the dinette or relaxing on the sofa and looking out at the ocean, woods, whatever beautiful view nature has provided us with.

We bought ours new, and you WILL take a depreciation hit; I wish we had done the research you are doing (we just stopped in to look and left having bought - no research, totally unlike me!).

I think you said your current unit can be used this season, so IF you decide on the AS, you can take your time finding a unit just a couple/few years old at a much more reasonable price, and can expect it to last a good long time with minimal maintenance.

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin Cat View Post
The ONLY complaint (for me personally) that I have with the non-AS unit you selected is that I do not see any windows on either the front or the rear of the unit.

Our personal experience with our 25FB (great layout!), is that we most often back right into our view, and I love sitting at the dinette or relaxing on the sofa and looking out at the ocean, woods, whatever beautiful view nature has provided us with.
Hi Cats,

No front or rear windows is my biggest complaint about Resort as well; I'm a big fan of front and rear windows for the same reasons as you and have a tough time buying a trailer without at least rear windows.

The lack of front and rear windows on the new SOBs seems to be industry-wide, and I have no clue why. It's almost impossible to find models with front windows any more, and you usually have to go up to a 28'+ trailer (way too large for me) to get a rear living room setup with large back windows.

IMO, the 25FB is the best layout I've seen in a trailer under 26'. This floor plan seems to make the best use out of a relatively small space. It seems SOB manufacturers could easily copy the floor plan of the 25FB and they'd probably sell a ton of them, especially if they added a slide to the lounge area.

The only complaint I have with the 25FB besides the high initial cost is the round single-basin sink in the galley. Why did AS every switch to this style of sink in their kitchens? I realize it adds to the look of the trailer, but a square dual-basin sink seems so much more practical. Those of you with this setup in your AS, does this every annoy you when out camping?

Thanks!

'?? AS 25FB?
Portland, OR
OBS F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
Other Things to Consider

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBS F250 View Post
All the plumbing, even the stuff hidden in the cabinets looked well organized and properly sealed.
Even a "properly sealed" SOB may not stand up to the road like an Airstream with riveted construction. How is that SOB being held together and how will it stand up to the road over time?

Look at this used 25FB in the classifieds to give you an idea of the asking prices on used. This unit has been *garaged* and should therefore still look brand new. It's 1000 miles from you, but another one just like it will eventually come up near you.
75th Anniversary Edition 2006 25' Airstream Safari SE/LS - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Used Airstreams For Sale

It sounds like you'd be happier with an AS. The price needs to be within your budget, of course. My theory here is if a certain model year AS is not in the budget, then go slightly older until the prices come into the range of what you're planning to spend on a brand new SOB. It sounds like you'd be much happier with a used AS than a new SOB.

The windows issue is going to bug you. Our AS has the fully-opening windows and they are so nice and allow the breeze to come right through. We boondock quite a bit and usually have beautiful views not only from the panoramic end windows, but from the large street-side windows behind the couch.

Many used units will have the double sink like ours. We really like it. I keep a dish rack inside the other half to let dishes dry right in the sink.

The awning over your RV pad will be great, but I would not put a cover on an Airstream. It'll really scratch up the skin with the wind.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #18
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBS F250 View Post
Hi Cats,

The only complaint I have with the 25FB besides the high initial cost is the round single-basin sink in the galley. Why did AS every switch to this style of sink in their kitchens? I realize it adds to the look of the trailer, but a square dual-basin sink seems so much more practical. Those of you with this setup in your AS, does this every annoy you when out camping?

Thanks!
We have an '08 25FB Safari and have the rectangular double sink. At the time, the 27FB had the round galley sink and was a major reason I rejected it (though I would dearly love that extra two feet!!! Queen bed turned to allow easier making of and access to the bed, one foot more closet and pantry space!). I thought I saw pics of a new 27'FB that had a similar sink as mine.

I agree with you, this layout makes great use of the space! We have been very pleased with it. IF you have a tall overnight guest, his feet can extend from the sofa onto the dinette area (my son is about 5'10" and this was an important part of our consideration, and if he has a friend with us they both have their feet in that corner).

If you love it, keep looking, be patient, a good one will come to you at just the right price. Once you have been bitten, there is no cure

For me, the windows would be a deal breaker. When you are inside for whatever reason, unless it is dark out, you still have your view

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote