Old 03-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
99% of non Airstream owners can not tell a 40 year old Airatream trailer from a brand new one.
That attitude turns me off so I usually just go somewhere else. Once, to amuse myself, I told them my '90 Excella was a 2005 Special Edition Commemorative model. They were impressed.

Cheers,
John

WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Some of these newer "RV Resort", parks that are springing up in our area, in southern Alabama, (Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, etc), are getting to be so exclusive that you have to have either a large moho, or 5th wheel, and they have to be relatively new.
Travel trailers, including Airstreams are not allowed regardless of the age of the unit.

Judging from the people whom we've met from these parks, I would just as soon not stay in those parks anyhow. Most of them are so self centered, they don't like to associate with us common people.....they are very impressed with themselves and little else.

Shame on them!

Larry

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
I was reading an online review of a RV park the other day and the women who wrote it must have said Prevost at least a dozen times:

"Our Prevost barely made the turn..."
"It was a little tight for our Prevost..."
"The Prevost was a little cramped the space..."

And the final:

"We visited in a Prevost motor coach.""

Perhaps the ultimate perversion of "camping". I feel sorry for the poor woman.

Cheers,
John
WBCCI #4291

Old 03-23-2015, 12:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
You have to understand that the 10 year rule is not geared toward Airstream's but toward SOB's. In most cases when I travel regardless where I stay I have the only Airstream in the place and without a doubt the oldest RV in the park. It does not look like the oldest one but if there is an SOB there that is 10 years or older it is for sure showing its age, trailer or MH. So more and more of RV parks are trying to keep these out, I don't blame them. But our Airstrem's get caught up in the "10 year" rule. So keep it looking good and lie.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:12 PM   #19
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy1970 View Post
I have been looking for nice rv parks around. Texas and I'm finding if your camper is over 10 yrs old they won't take you. So my all original. 1989 excella is not good enough for some places! What do you think ?
Troy,
I don't tell them unless they ask. When I arrive I always offer a tour inside. When the appearance is good there are smiles and the "Ok, nice Rig! Glad to have you!"

And we are in Texas.

When they get tight a€€ about it I say, "your park is obviously going to be unacceptable. I will spread the word to save you more phone calls."

Also I hit them up with "how old is your park? When was last time you have your pedestals and water supply checked? Have you resolved the discrepancies? Does your septic system meet current CODE?"....."how do you handle insurance claims for damage caused by your electric or water supply?

������
Old 03-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
You have to understand that the 10 year rule is not geared toward Airstream's but toward SOB's. In most cases when I travel regardless where I stay I have the only Airstream in the place and without a doubt the oldest RV in the park. It does not look like the oldest one but if there is an SOB there that is 10 years or older it is for sure showing its age, trailer or MH. So more and more of RV parks are trying to keep these out, I don't blame them. But our Airstrem's get caught up in the "10 year" rule. So keep it looking good and lie.
I do understand what the ten year rule is attempting to do. On park we stopped at last summer, the reservations clerk said "I didn't know they still made these! I invited her in and she couldn't believe the interior. When I told her they have be building them since the middle 1930's, and they are currently backordered at least 90 days for a new one, she was amazed....

I have to laugh when people are looking for their first older unit, and they hear the prices of a ten year old 30'er that price is usually close to a new 30' SOB...I guess I have a warped sense of humor...

Life is good.

Larry

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Vicki View Post
I was reading an online review of a RV park the other day and the women who wrote it must have said Prevost at least a dozen times:

"Our Prevost barely made the turn..."
"It was a little tight for our Prevost..."
"The Prevost was a little cramped the space..."

And the final:

"We visited in a Prevost motor coach.""

Perhaps the ultimate perversion of "camping". I feel sorry for the poor woman.

Cheers,
John

But they sure are nice aren't they!

(Prevost motorhomes I mean - dunno about their owners! There was one parked next to us in Savannah all last week, but we hardly saw and never got to speak to the owners all week!)

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:47 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
But they sure are nice aren't they!

(Prevost motorhomes I mean - dunno about their owners! There was one parked next to us in Savannah all last week, but we hardly saw and never got to speak to the owners all week!)

Brian.
They look like great rigs and the owners obviously like them as it seems they seldom leave. We were parked next to one for several days and I rarely saw anyone. No point going outside when it's so wonderful inside I guess (or they might have been worried about bumping into that unshaven guy next door).

Have I mentioned that I love our Airstream crowd? If only I could find someone with strong opinions about hitches and tow vehicles.

Cheers,
John
WBCCI #4291

Old 03-23-2015, 06:04 PM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Wonder if it's the same couple I was parked next to at Lake Bruin State Park, Louisiana during Mardi Gras weekend 2013. They pulled in just before I did. Before I could park, I had to ask them to move their satellite dish, which they set up in my campsite right in the way of me backing in. Interestingly enough, they had set up the satellite dish even before they slid out their slide-outs.

After I parked, and they re-positioned their satellite dish about sixteen inches from my Interstate's front bumper, they went back to sliding out their slide-outs. I completely set up my campsite and was already relaxing under the awning before they even had their umbilicals hooked up. The gentleman came over for about a minute and said, "I sure wish I had one of those!" Then I offered him the nickel tour, which was over in about five seconds because my rig is so small, and he asked, "How can you live like that? That's way too small for me, let alone the missus!" Guess he quit wishing he had one.

Once they had their Prevost all set up, slides out, satellite dish aimed, hookups hooked up, all done in a non-intuitive order, I never saw them again until I had to knock on their door so I could get them to move their satellite dish out of my campsite again so I could leave.

One of the most beautiful oxbow lakes in Louisiana, and the only way they saw it was through their bedroom window. If they even bothered to open the curtains and look.

I never asked them for the nickel tour because I'm sure it would have cost a dollar. But I guess if I had a rig that fancy and expensive, I'd spend all of my time admiring the inside of it, and no time admiring the beauty of nature, too!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:08 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Parked beside one a couple of years ago out west. Guy was kind of uppity, so I told him that if we couldn't take our Airstream we flew, prefering not to ride on a bus!!! They pulled out shortly after, and the couple on the other side in a 5th wheel had a good laugh with us. Guess he couldn't handle the trailer trash!!!!
WBCCI #7394
2002 Chev 2500 HD Duramax
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:03 PM   #25
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Now if your TV was a 1919 Olds touring car like Jethro drove, I would understand.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:51 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Brownsboro , Texas
Thanks everyone!

Thanks! We are planning a lengthy trip to the Dallas area and only found a few places that rent by the month. One approved us after pics. The others said no right off. As long as we are going to be there we wanted (ok my wife wanted) to have the resort feel. The price isnt much different than the COE's or city parks and you can stay longer. To bad there isn't a state park close by Lewisville/Carrolton area.
Thanks again!
Old 03-24-2015, 12:47 PM   #27
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
We stay away from "parks".......

Bob
Good heavens Bob, that picture you posted made me cringe. Why would anyone want to stay in a place like that

It's funny, in the twelve years I've owned vintage Airstreams I have never once plugged one into anything whilst camping.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:22 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
It has happened to me many times. people w/large mo hos. park up goes dish never outside drapes drawn, air on, gen. running even w/hookups they are camping? Also have had to ask them to move sat dish [& chairs that I never saw them using that they moved edge of my space] so I could park in my space. Also gen. running fumes into my AS. At brick yard 400 fumes from gen. then while eating out side pumper truck hooked up I asked them to return when finished eating, the answer from moho owner our s=== does not stink .