Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Wink airperson want to be

We are a senior couple looking to buy a new or preowned trailer from 20 t0 25 ft. We have looked at the new sport and the safari and even a classis. We just don't have enough information to feel confortable about jumping in as our decision will impact our future retirement life. We would like to spend several nonths a year traveling. We now own a Ford 150 v8 with towing pakage. However if we decided to go for a heavy weight we would upgrade.I was wondering how folks felt about the future of trailer travel and because we haven't commited yet; what most feel about the new airstream ultra lites. We just really haven't had enough trailer experience to make a decision on past travel or the future price of gas etc. We would appreciate any input anyone could share with us to help us make an informed decision.
Airperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Hi Airperson,

Welcome to the forums. Modern Airstreams and the word "ultralight" is an oxymoron anymore.

If you plan on traveling several months a year and will be "boondocking" more than in rv parks, look at the classic line. They have the highest cargo carrying capacities and the largest fresh water tanks.

If you are going to be spending most of your time in rv parks, then any of the current lines would work fine.

I don't know the tow capacity of your truck but when you go 25' or longer, you're approaching 3/4 ton territory. I'm referring to modern trailers. If you look at vintage, you may have enough truck for a longer trailer.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Airperson (like your name)...welcome to the forums! There are lots of considerations when making your decision about what to buy... There is a ton of information here, as well as experienced and helpful folks...who are willing to share their knowledge and offer moral support throughout the process...and on into ownership. Check out some of the subforums like this one: Buyer Guidelines - Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Community and of course, ask any specific questions you might have...chances are, someone has asked the question before and found the answer here...

Good luck and enjoy the quest!
TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:44 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
We are retired with a 2006 Expedition which is built on the 150. We have towed our Airstream up and down very steep grades with no problems. If you go bigger than the 25' then you will need to up your 150 to the 250. Our trailer, loaded, weighs about 7,000lbs. The Expedition, with the tow package, can handle 8,800 lbs. In other words, your 150 with the tow package, is good up to and including a 25'FB SE.

JOhn
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums!

Welcome!

My husband and I are retired and we love it! Not as much money, and the time still goes by really really fast but it is a good time!

If you are planning on traveling part of the year, really buy a airstream that will fit your lifestyle and needs. We went vintage and small, but it is perfect for us! Much lighter weight and less costly to tow, insure, etc. We would rather spend our money on fuel and going places than look at it in the driveway. All our "extra" money seems to be eaten up by health insurance costs that have gone up 400% in the last 6 years....

The newer "lightweight" airstreams (at least one model) is narrower, and has some definite advantages [vintage are narrower as well]. Fall is here, so you have all winter to do your homework and decide what will be best for you!

Here is a link to a very good thread on stuff you might want to think about:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...eam-22920.html

Ask any and all questions and the answers will come! By the way, you might consider attending a rally (see the rally calendar) and viewing Airstreams. It is a great place to see what folks have, and what they actually like and don't like about their 'stream!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:42 AM   #6
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Signed off last night before I had any replys to the thread. I truly appreciate each and ever answere to my questions. I have the feeling that you folks really understand my questions and have given me some great feedback. I look forward to learning and enjoying the thread.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Airperson,

Thanks from all of us! Keep us up to date with what you're thinking! And, be sure and post other questions that come to mind!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:23 PM   #8
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Have been looking at the axle rating on the new sport. It looks as though the wt. would be maxed out with opts. such as: air, awning and microwave. (200)lb.If you add fuels and water perhaps (190)lb. or so. The axel is rated at 4000 lb. and the dry wt. at 3500. I asked the salesman and he said the opt. are part of dry wt. I don't think so. Also it looked to me as though you could order an axle that could carry 4500. Does any one know anything about this.