Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2015, 02:36 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Birmingham , Alabama
Air J

Hello Air Streamers,
I've just joined the forum with the hopes of becoming a new air stream owner this year. Sooner than later preferably. I am looking at a 05 31' Classic that my friend bought less than 2 years ago to use on his land while building his house. So I want to ask the right questions and evaluate the systems & operation of this unit as thoroughly as I can. Maybe take it in to a good dealer or find someone in the area that can check it out. This unit is in Fairhope, Alabama.
Thanks for reading my post 'and' for any info & or advice.
Happy travels, Air J
Air J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:07 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Welcome aboard.

Well, you think you and your friend/owner might let you stay in the AS a few days? How about have him/her show you how it all works?

Once you know the way that AS works, ask questions here about any specific questions you come up with.

Go to the 'Portal' page and look for 'Airstream inspector' in your area.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:10 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
BTW, I see 6 in Alabama who are trailer inspectors.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:10 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2009 30' SO Classic
Suwanee , Georgia
Although I now live in GA, there is not an Airstream Dealer in this state and I bought my last one from J D Sanders in Alachua, FL (close to Gainesville) and have had excellent experiences with them. There is a dealer in Gulfport, MS named Foley RV Center that has gotten a lot of good press from customers which would be closer to Fairhope and might be able to help with your questions on this particular unit.

No matter who you take it to, going with Airstream is a good choice and I don't think you will regret it.

Walter

PS Roll Tide
Maybe Later is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
AirJ,

Welcome to the forums and good luck with your search and purchase. We've found this community to be extremely knowledgable and always helpful.

I agree with CWF. Spending even one night in a unit will tell you a great deal. You may also consider asking some simple questions up front. When was the last time the trailer was used? When was the last time the trailer was towed? These answers may spark other questions about when the furnace or AC or fresh water system or electrical system was used... If your friend used it as he had planned and lived in it during construction, the systems and appliances are probably working, if it didn't go as he had planned, the trailer may have just been sitting there collecting rodent nests in the refrigerator and hot water heater. Even that's just more cleaning and repair work on your part. Pretty much anything can be repaired or replaced, especially in an A/S that's only 10 years old. You just have to weigh the costs of repairs into your decision making and pricing.

Keep us posted and we'd love to see some photos, if you get the opportunity.

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:54 AM   #6

Currently Looking...
Birmingham , Alabama
Air J

WOW, Thanks folks for very good & very helpful information.

I am going down to visit my buddy & spend several days/nights in the trailer.

He has had full hook ups the last 5 or 6 months & loving it. I will most certainly

keep posting hopefully with pictures. Thank you all. Air J (Michael J)
Air J is offline   Reply With Quote