Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Advice needed on model

I am not a newbie to Airstreams. I owned a 1964 Bambi II, a 2006 Safari 19" and used a Basecamp for 6 months as a mobile workshop. However, it is time to step up to larger size.

I am torn between a 23" Flying Cloud (love the walk around queen bed and is a must) or moving up to a 25" footer and possibly dropping the extra cash on an International. (only the 25" International has a walk around queen, the 23" foot International does not.)

Question, is the International worth the extra cash? I'm sure that is opinion and that is exactly what I am after. Your opinion. So, I am not looking for things like, "Well, that depends on this that or the other". I want honest to goodness opinions.

We are a family of three. My wife, son (16months) and I. We do a few days at a time style camping. Sometimes with the boy and other times by ourselves.

I have a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi, with the full on towing package. I think I'll be ok towing up to and including a 25" footer and I really don't want to tow anymore than that anyway.

Anyway, I am ready to buy and I think this time of year is probably a good time.

Cheers,
Rik
AirHeadRik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Welcome to the Forums

Hey, I don't have any advice regarding which Airstream to buy...I guess my brain doesn't work that way since I went to Winnetka U.

Randy Bowman
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Keswick , Ontario
My wife and I went for the 27FB international. Mine should be coming in Feb since we factory ordered. I too will be pulling with the 2010 RAM 1500 Hemi. A number of the folks here say that the 1500 is adequate for pulling as long as you are not aggressive.

My wife and I fell in love with Air Stream and settled on the International Celantro finish. Went with the 27FB pimarily because of the Galley Style Pantry and living space as well as the windows and walk around Queen Bed.

Its alot of money to spend on a toy. We rationalized it in our minds primarily because we bought in to the fact that this is a trailer built to last. And if we decide trailering is not for us (hard to imagne that) we at least know that resale on these units is pretty decent.

We just went for it. We hope we made the right move.

Good luck in your future endeavours.

Paul
Mifair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your questions, I will be more than happy to give you my opinions.

We have a 2005 Safari 25FB, named Lucy, that we bought new. We have towed her almost 70,000 miles, and she has visited all of the lower 48 states. As of tonight, we have 762 nights in her.

We actually prefer the Safari to the Classic regardless of the price considerations. We do a lot of both hot weather and cold weather camping and the Classic's metal interior and panoramic windows are counterproductive when it comes to insulation value. Usually, the only time we are in Lucy is when it is dark out, so the possible great view is a moot point. Plus, I think that the panoramic windows make an Airstream look like a giant Darth Vader Helmet.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5672.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	115338   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5722.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	115339  

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post

We have a 2005 Safari 25FB, named Lucy, that we bought new. We have towed her almost 70,000 miles, and she has visited all of the lower 48 states. As of tonight, we have 762 nights in her.

We actually prefer the Safari to the Classic regardless of the price considerations. We do a lot of both hot weather and cold weather camping and the Classic's metal interior and panoramic windows are counterproductive when it comes to insulation value. Usually, the only time we are in Lucy is when it is dark out, so the possible great view is a moot point. Plus, I think that the panoramic windows make an Airstream look like a giant Darth Vader Helmet.

Brian
Not only that, but the more, and bigger, holes you cut in a structurally supporting shell, the weaker it is. FWIW, IMHO.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifair View Post
My wife and I went for the 27FB international. Mine should be coming in Feb since we factory ordered. I too will be pulling with the 2010 RAM 1500 Hemi. A number of the folks here say that the 1500 is adequate for pulling as long as you are not aggressive.

My wife and I fell in love with Air Stream and settled on the International Celantro finish. Went with the 27FB pimarily because of the Galley Style Pantry and living space as well as the windows and walk around Queen Bed.

Its alot of money to spend on a toy. We rationalized it in our minds primarily because we bought in to the fact that this is a trailer built to last. And if we decide trailering is not for us (hard to imagne that) we at least know that resale on these units is pretty decent.

We just went for it. We hope we made the right move.

Good luck in your future endeavours.

Paul
Thank you for your advice. I hope you love your International!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
... Plus, I think that the panoramic windows make an Airstream look like a giant Darth Vader Helmet.

Brian
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:09 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Quote:

Brian
Duly noted. Makes sense. I am sort of leaning toward the International though, only because I had 19" foot Safari and a Flying Cloud would sort of just be a larger version of it. However, that is not necessarily a bad thing, as I loved that trailer. I think I am just thinking a change in the vibe might be nice.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Brian,

BTW, I love the stipe job on Lucy!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Go to a rally. Look at Everything!

Dear AirHeadRik, I have the Safari 25 FBSE, which is sort of a cross between the International and the mouse - fur lined FlyingCloud/Safari base model. Prior to that I had an 05 22' CCD.

If you go with the 25 FB in ANY trim level the queen is NOT truly walk around. At floor level, the side of the bed facing the front of the trailer has less than six inches of foot space. You have to walk like an Egyptian around that side. It's a pain in the neck to change the sheets, too. With the 27 you get a true walk around.

I am seriously considering changing my queen over to twins. Twin beds are longer. They are much easier to make, both people can get out for the 2am for a comfort stop. All of the underbed storage is also more accessable.

If you have kids... well it's a trailer. Privacy? No. If you're at a campground and can send the child on a hayride, then a twin works as well as a queen for the horizontal mambo.

With a 1500 I'd probably stay with a 25 footer. Of late the finish level on the SE Flying Cloud and the International... not that different. It's just a matter of taste. I am not too impressed with the fabric appearance or durability on the International these days - though none of that is too expensive to redo if you have sewing skills. I do prefer the style of the overhead bins on the International. They are deeper front to back by about an inch. CCD laminated surfaces were better in the 2005 models than the Safari laminates, but I kinda think not so much any longer.

If you can find a gently used one, the real bargains are the ones with full awning sets, and those small window awnings really cut the heat in the summer.

Paula
Old 11-16-2010, 04:51 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International CCD
Leesburg , Virginia
Hi! Just wanted to say that we opted for the 2010 25' FB International Serenity. The light-colored cabinetry and lovely decor just lift my spirits and make me happy to be in the trailer. It's very light, bright, and airy-looking. We were a little worried about the lack of walk-around space between the bed and the front wall of the trailer, but neither of us is a "large" person and we don't really have any trouble getting around the bed. We only make the bed once a day and change the sheets once a week, so it's really not that big a deal to us. We find the rest of the living space very adequate. I like to cook, and the flip-up shelf extension in the kitchen is a big help, especially when washing the dishes. We made a two-week trip out west in the trailer in September and felt as if we had room for food, supplies, and clothing. I love the drawers and little closet in the bedroom! Good luck with your decision - I don't guess you can really make a bad decision if you're getting any kind of an Airstream!
WBCCI #2515
TAC #VA-9
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:51 AM   #12
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Welcome.

If you get in to a 25', the Classics have the largest tank sizes available...this may be a factor also if you boondock. The Classics will also be the heaviest.

There can be a significant weight difference between models due to content, so check that as your payload will be limited towing with a 1/2 ton.

If we were in the market today...we would be looking at the FB layouts...very nice.

Bill
Old 11-16-2010, 07:12 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
I am less than a week away from pullin' the trigger. so far, I am leaning toward the International. More scratch, but really nice.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:24 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1967 17' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
Top of the 395 , British Columbia
The one you are leaning towards will make you very very happy! With an equalizing hitch and good brake controller you won't have any problems towing it with your Ram... I'm jealous...
redthies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:29 AM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHeadRik View Post
Brian,

BTW, I love the stipe job on Lucy!
That's SuEllyn's work. She still needs to complete the stripes on Lucy's rear end. Lucy is, of course, the spokestrailer for Moose Tags, and must be decorated with the proper colors.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5700.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	115342   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5179.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	115343  

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
We too are new to AS, and bought a "09 International FB CCD. We love it. Some don't like the stark interior walls that are all aluminum, but they are soo easy to wipe off and keep clean. We have twin beds, love them!!! Found them especially nice when grankids (or kids) come and they have someplace to play their many tech games and don't fight over who has more side of the bed Before you decide on twins or queen, take the time to go into one and lay on the beds as if you were sleeping on them...take more than a minute or two. We especially like that the microwave is stored in a cabinet. We travel with two labs and have plenty of space. The only word of advice I have for you is to think the long term...more kids? Animals? No matter what AS you decide on, you will have a wonderful experience for a long time to come. Enjoy!!
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:01 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
I have been reading about the Pro pride and I think that is eventually how I'll go as well. I have an EZ Lift (something like that) that came with my Mother In Law's trailer that I towed for her. (A 28" Terry and Towed like crap!). She said I can use that and I might just to pick up from the dealer. However, I think the Pro Pride will be my ultimate choice.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redthies View Post
The one you are leaning towards will make you very very happy! With an equalizing hitch and good brake controller you won't have any problems towing it with your Ram... I'm jealous...
Old 11-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Hi Rik,

We have a 2008 International CCD Signature Series with Cilantro interior. It appealed to our tastes over any other model at the time, and still does.

You might consider looking at the 27' FB because it really has a walk around queen bed and the extra closet and pantry space are a big plus.

We have panoramic windows front and rear and love the openness and light they let in.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Thanks!
Well, part of the consideration in length is that we boondock often and like to rock climb. Many of the parks have restrictions on size. Even the 25" seems to be pushing it in some parks, hence the consideration of the 23" Flying Cloud. I have heard that there will be an International 23" with the Flying Cloud floor plan later this month. (Walk/Climb around queen).

Our 19" was fantastic but with our new family addition, we have to consider more room now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini View Post
Hi Rik,

We have a 2008 International CCD Signature Series with Cilantro interior. It appealed to our tastes over any other model at the time, and still does.

You might consider looking at the 27' FB because it really has a walk around queen bed and the extra closet and pantry space are a big plus.

We have panoramic windows front and rear and love the openness and light they let in.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!
Old 11-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anniston , Alabama
We were torn between the 25FB and the 23 as well....for the same reasons as you. We like the National and State Parks and lenth was an issue. We really liked the 23ft with the queen bed, but the small holding tanks were the deal breaker for us. We went with the 25FB Flying Cloud and are very happy with our decision. One recommendation....the window awning package is worth every penny in the summer heat.

This is a long term purchase. Get what makes you happy and you won't regret it.

"It is better to wear out than to rust out"......Wally Byam
happycamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote