Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2018, 03:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Renville , Minnesota
About to become an Airstream Owner

After searching and studying for three years; I am to pick up a new Flying Cloud 19CB on Tuesday. I am looking forward to the features provided by the new rig; but not looking forward to dealing with teething problems associated with anything new.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado from a former Minnesotan. Congratulations on your new Airstream. I think you will enjoy it very much. You can visit every public access lake in Minnesota. That will keep you busy for a while.

I've been to the Airstream factory in Jackson Center, Ohio. I worked in manufacturing my whole career. Airstreams are generally hand built by humans. I saw many conscience people working hard on my tour. My manufacturing career made me acutely aware there will be errors and escapes from a manufacturing process. I've been driving a car for 55 years and I still accidentally leave the lights on and run the battery down, if you know what I mean. Airstreams are a very well designed and built travel trailer. Yours will last you a very long time. Ours is 33 years old with about 20 years of that spent in Battle Lake, MN, where my wife's folks lived.

That said, be ready to "work the bugs out" of your new Airstream. Many folks spend a night or two in the dealer's parking lot learning about the new trailer and making a punch list of items that may need "adjustment". I believe Airstream will take care of you.

Here we are parked under the oak trees at the Minnesota Airstream Park near Clear Lake, MN. It is a lovely all Airstream park that does offer nightly parking space rentals. Most folks here own their spot and spend the summer slapping mosquitoes, big mosquitoes. I enjoyed walking the park and looking at all the Airstreams of all vintages.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	122_2236 (Small).JPG
Views:	82
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	317787  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Renville , Minnesota
David,

You are a Minnesotan relocated to Colorado. I move from Westminster, CO to Minnesota with a 3 year layover in Billings, MT.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Well, how about that. We lived in Minnesota for 27 years. I have many fond memories; from fishing opener, summer days on the lake in a canoe, and cross country skiing in the woods. Minnesota is a great place to live.

We retired and moved here to be close to our two sons. We live in the foothills southwest of Denver. It is also very nice here and we like it a lot. Pulling the Limited around these switchbacks, and over mountain passes is more challenging than anything Minnesota presented to me. But I'm learning and getting by. There are a lot of very nice people in both states,

We are traveling to Ouray in southwest Colorado the end of next week to attend a vintage Airstream rally. It is beautiful there, very rugged Rockies.

So, I think our moves are a win-win situation for both of us.

You're going to love your new Airstream.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1607 Wellington Limited Castle (Small).JPG
Views:	80
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	317955  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:22 AM   #5
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Wrangler-

Hope your Tuesday was awesome.

I think you'll be fine for the following reasons:
1) You are an experience RVer
2) You already know you might have "teething problems" with a new coach
3) You have a HUGE resource of experience on AirForums

Take your time, study the books and resources, make double sure your weight distribution/sway control hitch and vehicle trailer brake controller are dialed in, and enjoy your new Airstream!
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
McAlester Grad here.

Ask questions here, use the search function ALOT!
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Renville , Minnesota
Pulled the Flying Cloud home yesterday. Shorewood must have set up the hitch properly, because towing was a total dream. A much smoother ride than the old Scamp. Today, it’s learning to make things work.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:06 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Welcome !!!!

One of the things about hanging out on the forums is that you hear about every issue anybody has had in the last 50 years. It doesn't matter if it's an RV forum, truck forum, or a car forum. It also doesn't matter what brand. That can indeed be depressing. It also probably prepares you for a situation that is much worse than what you will actually run into.

Get out in your new toy and go camping. Don't go to far from the nearest Walmart ( or Target or ...). That way it's not a long run when you "discover" something you need. We're into year two and nothing that has come up has stopped a trip. We have yet to take the trailer back to a dealer. Yes, we have a few new stories to tell ....

Have Fun !!!!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:33 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Wrangler, we’re two years into our AS adventure and it has all been awesome! We took our time, devoured all the resources and have a very comfortable feeling we’re making informed decisions. It’s all good. The best thing about all this are the great people you’re going to meet. Enjoy and safe travels!
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:40 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Ozark , Missouri
We’re looking at a 19 cloud as well. Hope yours is working out great for you.
Scottmel is offline   Reply With Quote