Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2009, 12:55 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Austin , Texas
A spectator no more

Howdy y'all! As you may have guessed, I'm in Texas. Don't hold it against me, please!

I'm currently renting a 2005 25' SS International from a friend and am in the midst of trying purchase it to use as my sole residence in the Austin area. I'm still making that list of pros and cons of full-timing: all comments, concerns, encouragements and questions are welcome!

My Airstream history: I spent 6 months living in this same trailer with my 2 cats a few years ago, and long to go back to the simple life of "is the gray water tank full? how's my propane? darn that cat fur on the window shade!" rather than my current life of "should I throw my money away to this giant corporate apartment complex or that one? Who will carry my over-priced couch up the stairs? where will all that crap that I don't need get put?" I'm 27 and figure I have the rest of my life to collect "stuff." Why not rid my life of everything but the bare necessities and a trailer (and those 2 cats) see where this new life takes me? My very kind and crafty brother and his awesome wife have offered to let me live in it on their property in Austin for very low rent, and he has (or will have soon) full hookups for it.

Pros
1. It's an Airstream! Need I say more?
2. Mobility. I work in film and often travel to other cities for extended periods of time, leaving my apartment unoccupied. Why pay for something I'm not using? This way I can take my home with me!
3. Simplicity. No need (or room) for furniture. Does one person really NEED a couch, a table, a coffee table, an entertainment center, bookshelves, a bed, bookshelves, lights, a desk, curtains, more bookshelves, decorations, not to mention all the kitchen items? The answer is no.
4. Adventure. I like challenges and adventures. In fact I thrive on them and get bored when things in my life become plain, boring and predictable.
5. Cost. For the price of the trailer and rent to my brother (or a park), I will pay less than I do for a semi-decent apartment and related expenses. That, and in a few short years, I would own the Airstream outright.

Cons
1. Texas in the summer. What happens if my AC goes out in that small space? How quickly/easily can it be fixed?
2. 2 very hairy indoor cats. 100sq ft (or less) of living space. Litter box.
3. I currently do not own a tow vehicle (my little Honda Fit just won't cut it). Must rely on very kind brother, friends or rental vehicle to haul it around for me when needed.
4. Do I really want to get rid of all of my "stuff"? I plan to store the things that are important to me, like photos, some books and a few items collected on world travels, but am I prepared to sell the rest?

I've been perusing this website for a few weeks now, and can't tell you enough how helpful it has been for all these questions. If anything, it has encouraged me even more to pursue this new adventure and lifestyle. I'm excited to become an active member of the Airstream community and not just a spectator. Now, I just have to actually take the plunge and buy the darn thing!

TXstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:48 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome aboard

DO IT!!!

If it doesn't work out for you, pass the Stream on and give someone else a chance.

Sounds like youv'e made up your mind, but like the kitty's just need a little stroke'n.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Sounds like you've got a good plan. I don't really have any advice (though I'm excited to hear what others will say). But, have a comment .... you ask,
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXstream View Post
Does one person really NEED a couch, a table, a coffee table, an entertainment center, bookshelves, a bed, bookshelves, lights, a desk, curtains, more bookshelves, decorations, not to mention all the kitchen items?
and I say nope. I remember that one day I realized how much seating I had in my home - chairs in the living room, dining room, eat-in-kitchen, bedroom, back porch, gazebo, front deck, etc. (oh, and all the places in my Airstream). It's crazy!!! There's just one of me and 30 places to sit. I'm only home (and awake) about 4 hours a day. Insanity for sure!
Anyway, good luck to you and keep us up to date on how things are progressing.
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Tx,

Welcome to the forums!

With your need to work on location, living out of the Airstream makes some sense. You might ought to think about buying a tow vehicle--they will never be cheaper than now.

Renting space from your brother while in town should be a very economical way to live, nothing to sneeze at in this economy. One caveat--is your brother going to get grief from the local zoning authorities? In some parts of the country they are hard to deal with. Don't know about Texas.

I wouldn't sell your "stuff". Storage space is cheap.

Good luck,
Nuvi

Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Another hello and welcome to the forum - all you answers are here.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We say, GO FOR IT! You will be amazed how little you actually need to live comfortably, and how many things are multi-purpose--we still leave things at home every time we return. We have met many, many people who take their homes with them as they move from job to job, and would choose that for ourselves if we were in such a situation. There is nothing better than having your own bed and comfort things, whatever those may be. We first RV'd with a shedding-machine Brittany Spaniel, whom we adored and still miss deeply, and simply carried a small vacuum to keep up (daily) with the fur. Our current vehicle has no carpet in the living area, which helps immensely in keeping up with dirt etc. Good luck!
Old 03-10-2009, 07:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
what to do... what to do

Sounds like some pretty good options!

I do not know much about Texas but Austin has to be one of the better places to be, Yes?

You already know what it is like to live longer term in an Airstream. Memory has a way of romanticizing past experience. This comes to mind after taking a regular shower after my long term stays. But outside showers and open space top apartment living anytime.

Love kitty cats, but the first thing I would do is hook up a solar powered vent fan to one of those litter boxes that look like regular RV's without wheels. Run a duct out a window or lower hatch if possible.

Present economic news considered, I have not seen noticable price reductions on Airstreams or real estate in the more desirable places to live. Is this trailer priced right?

If your bro gives you a good deal on rent, plan on banking the differance on what you would be spending on that nice apt. This way you will be ready if something becomes available in the future if this experiment does not work out. Or start a tow vehicle fund.

Tow vehicles are great deals right now. Espesially if you don't have to drive them. Keep the Fit. Use the pick up for gardening and going to the recycling center. And they are fashion accesories in Texas so get one that matches some of your outfits.

The greatest thing about these trailers is you can go almost anywhere with them. Don't forget that it has wheels for a reason. As much fun as it is to live in one, nothing compares to getting out on the open road.

In your case there may be good tax advantages to work and business related vehicles.

Stuff.....that's a tough one. I have a weakness for expensive couches.....how much?

Good luck and happy trails.
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Almost 4 years of Fulltiming

Good points:
  1. Never having to PACK - carry your wardrobe with you.
  2. Never finding bedbugs in a "nice" hotel room.... eeeeeeuh!
  3. Never having to use a gas station bathroom... triple eeeeeeuh!
  4. Being able to find your toothbrush at the end of the trip.
  5. Never getting to your destination and realizing you've left vital paperwork at home. (in your case, a piece of camera equipment)
  6. Your neurotic relatives can't drop in for an unannounced month long visit
  7. Your ex-husband can't come back, or if he does, you can slash his tires and make a quick getaway
Bad points:
  1. Those bastards at Airstream announced the 27 FB model three months after you upgraded from a 22 CCD to a 25 FB.
  2. Storage space is tight
  3. Learning to fight "encrapulation" - the tendency of crap to fill every available nook and cranny
  4. 6 gallons of hot water - makes a comfortable QUICK shower, not a luxurious one
  5. squeeky stabilizers - lubricate frequently, but one always makes a noise like a howler monkey with his paw caught in a vise.
Just do it. Do get a tow vehicle. Airstreams like to travel! I often take weekend trips of 20 to 50 miles on a weekend. There are great places to fish, hunt, or simply zen out within that radius. And then there's the girl thing - shopping. (I'm pretty much over it, but the Williamsburg Pottery is THE place many people want to visit in Williamsburg VA - or the Outlet Malls.) I view it as something worth doing IF I can take the Airstream and drink lunch! I'm normally very sober, but four hours of shopping calls for at least 2 cosmos or mojitos. Definitely cures sore feet! And there's plenty of room for sis and/or friends to stow their crap between forays.

Paula
Old 03-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Austin , Texas
What an encouraging bunch! I knew I came to the right place. I am definitely going to do it, any doubts I had have been erased over the past few days. I will keep you posted on the progress and questions I have along the way!
TXstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
You'll feel great and more at ease when you downsize and get all the material extras that are laying around...get your equipment and go man...take it one day at a time, and get with these fantastic people. ...Now go feed those cats!