Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #1

ASHEVILLE , North Carolina
A New Member

Good Day!
I have just joined and found the link from the book 'Airstream Living' by Bruce Littlefield, located on page 157. Impressive!
I have just begun my search for an Airstream (previously owned) to live in permanently. I am not sure as to the size yet, perhaps 27' - 29' as I've read that some campgrounds may have max size restrictions. True or False?
It has been suggested that I consider a Buyer's Agent. Currently, I live in Asheville, NC. Suggestions or comments are welcome.
Check out this site for two remodels: Hofmann Architects - Design Company - Residential Architecture - Luxury Home Designs - Modern House Plans - Sustainable Architects - Developer Real Estate
Thanks!
Paul
ASliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome Paul,

Glad to have you with us. The Hofmann project(s) are well known and have been covered here somewhat.

Here's a recent thread about it.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f224...hlight=hofmann

There are plenty of good used rigs on the market. Are you wanting newer, vintage, fixer-upper, or move in ready?

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:49 PM   #3

ASHEVILLE , North Carolina
Hi Kevin -
I'm looking for something that is in-between fixer upper and move in ready. I think I know what I need in the AS. I also have a very energetic Golden Retriever that will go with me. I will also need and tow vehicle and I'd like a 4/door 4x4 short bed w or w/o canopy to pull.
I'm going to sell my new home and really down size. I've given it a lot of thought and having spent many years working at sea, I'm used to smaller sizes. Less is Best!
I may try living in a move in ready for a time to familiarize myself and then remodel as needed. What is critically important is a structurally sound, mold and pest free AS. Bleeding edge is not necessary.
Yup – I’m up for the lesson first!
Thanks for the quick post - Paul
ASliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
In my short experience, Airstreams are prone to leaking and the wood floor is prone to rotting out. The pink insulation in the floor is not protected from getting wet by design, and that makes for a rotten odor and frame rust away. It looks to me that all Airstreams except those that are very new or those always stored inside are projects.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Paul,

A good place to start your search would be the Forum Classified section.

Spend time researching right here.

If your in a hurry...
I would advise as new as you can afford, doing things you want to is usually more fun than doing things you have to.
You can spend a lot of $$$, and time on a fixer upper. (well it worked the last time we used it)

If your a campground person, NP, DEC, Forest Service.. 25' to 28' is a good size.

RV parks..the sky's the limit.

Good luck in your search!!

Bob

Tags
buyers_agent