Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUMINUMINUM View Post
Dear GinMame

Your mention of vintage interest spawned this note...

Be that I am a bit aged “sweet great lakes boy”, I too am blessed with a beautiful Japanese “better half”. We have a 1968 Globetrotter.

Our path to Airstream...

Years of research concluded that a 1969 caravel (last year of real wood interior) would be a good fit. Similarly sized to an older Bambi, but a bit less $. I like the weight, and the more modern rounded windows. The short Airstreams hold value well.

Another year of searching all the nationwide trailer listing services revealed that the caravel isn't that cheap either. Found one 1969 for 10K but couldn't get to it fast enough.

Then, on a cold winter night between Christmas and New-year's Eve, My eBay-bot notified me of a 68GT down in Tennessee. I quickly recalculated my needs:

20ft v 18ft but in that extra two feet there's another window, and a full bath, and the bed pulls out without blocking entry door...
2990lbs v 2880lbs
Similar tongue weight
narrower, vintage look

Had to beat 26 other bids. It's important to do enough research so you understand the value of the various models, and have the confidence to pull the trigger when you have yours in sight...

So, after a grueling thousand miles RT through wind ice and snow... it's ours. There's pictures and description in my posts...

When Ami saw that big deep bathtub, the gleam in her eyes assured me that it was the right one for “Us”.

Anyway, Sometimes I think it's the best Airstream ever!! AND!! You could pull it with a 1968 Dodge Dart.

The Dart weighs close to 4000 pounds wet, and, in '68 there's a 275hp 340 and torqueflite available. They did build a handful of 426 Hemi Darts that year, but that's a whole different avenue. And if that isn't enough, they offered a nearly Airstream blue color.

Somethin' to think about if you go vintage/nostalgic.

We removed and re-sawed the ash interior so there is a dinette on the side, a good bit of plumbing and wiring in progress... but it's relaxing work, where we hang out together and talk. Right now it's our “tin tea house”.

Peace, Wm
Hi William,

Thank you for the warm welcome and information. Sadly, I no longer own the radio station (the license plate was WVZ 370 and always sounded like a radio station call sign to me).

I agree that a 340 powered Dart would make a great tow vehicle. The problem with my Dart was that it had the 225 six in it and lacked power breaks. I can remember at least two occasions when after being parked at a trailhead in the Sierras for several days the breaks would give out coming down the mountain. Not an encouraging sign for a TV. When the car became mine in high school, I learned a lot about car care and how to work on engines and especially breaks. In fact, I learned so much that I won't work on my own breaks today, never could get the hang of bleeding them correctly.

Your story about how you acquired your AS sounds really interesting. In my experience, the perfect anything usually comes that way, you really have to rush to beat everyone else. My problem is that I don't know where to research vintage Airstreams let alone their value.

I guess that my question would be, "Where can one research vintage Airstream floor plans, models, specs, and so forth?" I'm assuming that there are no central clearing houses of information. Another question would be, "How to know when the Airstream that your looking at is a diamond in the rough or should be passed by?"

I assume that finding the answers to these questions is part of the fun and challenge of Vintage Airstream ownership. Kind of a right of passage. That's fine, I'm up for it. Besides, the longer I wait, the more things that I come up with to do the trailer. Currently, I've come up with a design for a AS Computer. Basically, it is a completely solid state (SSD drive - no hard disk), low power computer to control the lights, a/c, heater, internet access, weather reports, and so forth (look at the cabin control panel the next time you fly on a 777). OK, I admit that it completely unnecessary, but still it would be kind of cool to bring a 60's space age era AS into the 21st century.

I think that your Tin Tea House sounds like a wonderful place to hang out and relax. I wonder, do you and your wife do tea ceremonies in it? Do you have a noren for the bath that says "yu"? Nobuko has already put that on the shopping list for the next trip to Japan.

Like your Ami, when Nobuko set foot on the first Airstream (a 19' FC Bambi) she was sold and no other trailer or even class "A" will do...

Thank you again for the encouragement and information. I hope to see you on the road someday. Until then Happy Airstreaming!

Rion
GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinMame View Post
Hi Phbarnhart,

Congratulations on the new Eddie Bauer Airstream! Thank you too for the Sutton RV recommendation. I been very impressed with them based on what folks have said here on Air Forms, their website, and a phone call that I had with Joe at Sutton. Since I'm in California, I wondered how it would work buying an Airstream in Oregon. Joe told me that Oregon doesn't have any sales tax and that they would arrange for a 15 Day transit tags so that I could bring it to the DMV here in California and register it. The only downside is that I would still have to pay use tax here in California, but that is no biggie as it would be roughly the same as the sales tax I would have paid if I had purchased the AS here.

Please post some pictures of your new rig so that we can all see it. See you on the road.

Cheers,
Rion
Hi, the writing on this thread, without pictures, is too long for me to read, but I caught this part about Eugene, Oregon. I bought my trailer from George Sutton in late 2004. [2005 model] What helped it work for us was the fact that we paid no sales tax. Oregon has no sales tax and California had a 91 day deal; If I bought my trailer in Oregon [no sales tax] and kept it out of California for 91 days or more, California wouldn't charge any sales tax either. [DMV still tried to collect it but I quoted their rule] Then this California deal stopped and now I believe it is back, but you have to keep it out of California for one year. This would be hard to do, but not impossible.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:24 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, the writing on this thread, without pictures, is too long for me to read, but I caught this part about Eugene, Oregon. I bought my trailer from George Sutton in late 2004. [2005 model] What helped it work for us was the fact that we paid no sales tax. Oregon has no sales tax and California had a 91 day deal; If I bought my trailer in Oregon [no sales tax] and kept it out of California for 91 days or more, California wouldn't charge any sales tax either. [DMV still tried to collect it but I quoted their rule] Then this California deal stopped and now I believe it is back, but you have to keep it out of California for one year. This would be hard to do, but not impossible.
Now wouldn't that be something! I'm sure that you could find someone to play with your new Airstream here for a year.
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:57 AM   #24
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Love your summation re: Airstream fever. If you want to learn more about vintage models there are a couple of sites with the data you crave:

Vintage Airstream Photo Archives

Airstream, Inc :: Travel Trailer Specifications

Fred's Airstream Archives - Travel Trailers and MotorHomes For Sale

I learned long ago that my bride was better at names than I. She choose "Instead" because we were going to be doing this instead of anything else. I added the tag line 'our shelter from the norm.'

Welcome to the forum regardless of what or when you choose. In the meantime, you can read extensively about every aspect of Airstream ownership, inspecting, repair, remodeling, customization, decorating, towing, etc., from those who love their silver tube. If you don't find the answer you seek using search, ask - someone will probably know and, better yet, share!
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote