Old 10-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Winsen/Aller , I live in Germany but desire to live in Colorado within 6-9 months
A dreamer

Hello all.
Currently I live in Germany but am planning on moving back to America, to Colorado, as soon as I snag a job first.

The dream is to build a small house (log house perhaps), and while we build it, to live in a trailer, according to my husband.

I am not too keen on living in a trailer mind you, but if I HAD to, it would have to be an Airstream.

But alas, Airstreams are a tad pricey, so I thought, how about Silver Streak?

I need a completely livable one, because I am coming over first, then my husband later. I think restoring one would be a hoot, but I am very bad with do it yourself projects. I'm better with "tell my husband to do it" projects!

Anyway, I haven't proposed the idea of Airstreams/Silver Streaks to him yet, not sure if he is on board with the whole vintage camper idea.

So for now, I dream about it, and get my fix looking at them on ebay, craigslist and google images!

Nice to see a forum where ya'all help each other out and are so friendly!

Airhead Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:30 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member
Fountain Valley , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Leprechauna
Hi Lisa, we are in a similar situation. I got my husbands buy in on the idea, and we would like to do a similar set up to live somewhere in Northern AZ.We would either live in a trailer while we set up for a prefab, small house, unless we find a good deal on a little place already built with a little chunk of land. The realty situation in the West has made it possible to find some bargains. I have started out like you, combing the internet, going to an airstream dealer, looking at other trailer options, and even going to a garage close to where I live, and speaking to the owner about a refurb/renovation.

I still have lot's of research to do, but I am getting closer to being ready to pounce when I find the one that fits us. I am even considering starting with a non airstream vintage refurb, just to start, and possibly just pass over to my son & his fiance when I upgrade. This is mostly due to financial constraints, and wanting to invest less until I really feel comfortable towing, and whether or not I like the lifestyle.

I am learning so much from this Forum, and it appears that if you go for the AS, it can always be resold for a decent price.

Good Luck!

Leprechauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:25 AM   #3
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Winsen/Aller , I live in Germany but desire to live in Colorado within 6-9 months
Thanks Marie!
I too, am thinking the non-Airstream route may work for now--and make a hobby of renovating it after the imaginary house is built, and let it be a separate guest "cottage", or a place for my son to live, if I can convince him of that!

And yes, my husband said the same thing as you, either look for stand alone alone, or a good land with an ugly old unrepairable condemned house tear it down and rebuild.

Our first idea was to live in a trailer court type of place, to save money on rent, but sheesh, some of those rent out for 4-5 hundred dollars a month, similar to studio or 1 bedroom apartment, so not saving any money there! Plus the whole trailer court stigma I'm not too crazy about. I did see a retirement court, but you had to be at least 55 yrs old, and I am alas, a spring chicken of a mere 50 years!

I'm not much into the technical aspects of Airstreams, but I know what I'd like it to look like! But I am torn between keeping the classic look inside, or totally gutting it and modernizing it. (I think for the ugly models in the 1970's and 80's a good gut job is an upgrade!).

What is your preference? Keep the old or bring in the new?

Airhead Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master
dream could be nightmare

#1 Trailers and motorhomes don't do well in freezing weather.

#2 It is expensive and or time consuming to rehab a "cheap" Airstream

#3 Zoning codes prohibit living in an RV in most places

My advice would be to buy or rent a small house while you are waiting for your husband to arrive, and while you are waiting for your dream house to be built.

That being said, Colorado and the Southwest is a wonderful area for road trips.
You would enjoy having an RV in that area.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member
Fountain Valley , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Leprechauna
Nightmare guy is right, and some of us (me) need to reminded of the practical aspect.
I was considering using the trailer in warmer climates. I do not expect my endeavor to be cheap at all, and would probably pay a reputable company to do the refurb. A cheap used trailer, (probably non-AS) would be for a starter experience , and short trips in Sunny AZ and CA. Though a remodel is not cheap, I think gutting one and starting over is way under the cost of the new 65-80K models. The new Serenity is so beautiful, but I shop at Big Lots For that kinda money I would spend years trying to track down a Holiday House to renovate. In my dreams of course.

Lisa, I guess , talking dreams come true, money no object:
#1 would be a big, brand new serenity
#2 A vintage Holiday House renovated (very hard to find)

My reality, an older AS 23-30 ft remodeled enough to be safe and livable,
or a starter vintage Shasta, or Sportsman, already remodeled with a decent toilet for short trips and getting our feet wet with.

The trailer and the TV will be used and a cash buy.
Wouldn't it be fun to meet up for a rally somewhere and learn more about the lifestyle?
Leprechauna is offline   Reply With Quote