Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2005, 05:44 PM   #1
No dregs in a 65 Safari

1965 22' Safari
corral de tierra , California
a 65 Safari in need

Hello, I just recently acquired a '65 Safari that is in need of a lot of attention. A lot starting with inverter, converter, batteries, bed, sofa, water pump, I'm sure some re-wiring and plumbing, and, and and . . . Doing the work and building everything is no problem. I'm looking for a recommendation on the best manual or two that help me put this big suppository back on the road. I'm not looking for original equipment. I'm looking for modern, functional and to code. I’ve looked on Amazon and other websites, but I’m not entirely happy with what I see.

I would also like to find someone within driving distance from Monterey, CA that has a similar trailer so that I can take some pictures for reference

Thx,

tim
NoDregs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 05:53 PM   #2
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet

NoDregs,

Go HERE for interior & exterior pix of most everything you need.

If there are specific 65 Safari pix you require, email me your needs & I will attempt to accommodate you. (click on 'driftwood' to left & use drop down box)

For specific repair of items and equipment, you may be best served to utilize the search tools, located at the top right of each page. Most times the ‘advanced search’ is more direct.

Good luck with your repairs & refurbishment. & welcome to the Forums.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:10 PM   #3
No dregs in a 65 Safari

1965 22' Safari
thx

Thanks Norm,

My first project is to install a water tank so that I can build a bed over it. The last owner removed it and sealed the water intake on the outside skin. He ran water direct from a hose. I also have no controls for bypassing the water pump. But then again, I have no water pump. I'm assuming the water pump bolts down in the rear compartment under the toilet. If you could fire me over a picture of the what the rear compartment is supposed to look like, that would be great. From that I can somewhat reverse engineer it.

I did pick up the manual for the trailer that gives a rough diagram of the plumbing, electrical and such. I can plumb it and wire it to those specs, but it's the controls that have me at a temprary road block.

I should also say that this is my first venture into trailerdom. I'll have to follow this up with you later. I have a house being shown this weekend and I need to rush off from work and install a water heater. I'll definately be getting back with you. thx again,

tim
Old 12-06-2005, 06:40 PM   #4
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet

Provide me with an email address ... so I can attach pix. If your going to place a new tank in the original position, I have a tank source for you.

The 12VDC pumps, although originally located in the rear, are designed to 'push' better than they are to 'pull' fluids. You may want to consider locating the pump forward to one side of the tank. Free's up space in the rear.

This pix is of the original tank installation. You are looking forward, of course.

GEE! A California hot water tank install - don't forget to secure it for the earthquakes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FW Tank-Inca quote pix.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	16910  
NORM #3305

... if you're handy ...
Old 12-07-2005, 01:04 PM   #5
No dregs in a 65 Safari

1965 22' Safari
No Earhtquakes in California

Hi Norm,

Thanks for the heads up on the pump. It'll be easy to mount it next to the tank. I vaguely remember that pumps always need an on and off switch for when they are used. Is that still the case?

This weekend I'm looking at ordering a 30 gallon tank. I picked up a 5.7 Sureflo pump that supposed to be super quiet. Once I have the tank, I'll build a bedrame with drawers around it.

Keep you posted. thx Earthquakes are a fig newton of everyone's imagination. They don't exist. It's all hype to keep the population under control.

tim
patterson@orchidsandwine.com
Old 12-07-2005, 02:41 PM   #6
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet

After months of research, I located a near perfect dimensional match for the original tank. My requirement was for all the fittings to be on one end. I also wanted to restore the as-original sight level indicator. (The new tank has 4 electrical contacts imbedded in the tank end if you wish to install an unreliable electronic level indicator)

My pump is being located within the dead space, outboard the tank - street side, where the fittings are. (fill, pump supply, vent, & sight level tubing).

I located my power switch on street side + from the galley basin. It it a rocker type and 'lit' when in 'on' position. Further, I placed an in-line fuse at the pump.

PS. I was in Oakland October '89 - no earthquakes huh? That bridge sure did 'rock-&-roll' for some reason.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank 1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	16932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank 2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	16933  

NORM #3305

... if you're handy ...
Old 12-07-2005, 02:57 PM   #7
No dregs in a 65 Safari

1965 22' Safari
OK, dumb question,
Old 12-07-2005, 03:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
That was a good question!

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:05 PM   #9
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Cool

HEY Tom,

OK, dumb question ..., reminds me of THIS Thread. Best I ever saw in this Forum. See post #1.
NORM #3305

... if you're handy ...
Old 12-07-2005, 03:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Yeah Norm, I thought about that post too.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:27 PM   #11
No dregs in a 65 Safari

1965 22' Safari
You guys are hurting my feelings. I wrote that with lemon juice. Hold a candle behind the monitor to heat it up. What can I say, it's a Monterey thing.

tim