Old 06-18-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Louisville , United States
94 AS Delivered Tomorrow:Any tips, Please?

Just bought a '94 Excella Custom 30' Airstream, after dreaming about it for years. It will be delivered tomorrow, and set up in the driveway to get familiar with it for a few days. Bought a 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 with the 6.6L Diesel, and will pick it up next weekend.

The trailer is a beauty, well-kept, and looks great. I have an owner's manual, but it's pretty generic. We'd appreciate your help with with these questions:

There is an odd-looking powercord--looks kind of like a 220 plug, but there is a 110 adapter. Is that OK to just plug into a wall socket in the garage? Will it stand the use of the AC unit, or do we need at least a 30 amp fuse?

How do we know if the gray water, black water tanks have anything in them? If they do, I'm guessing they shouldn't be used now. Do I need to add any chemicals to the blackwater system?

How do you get the hot water going for the shower?

Should we use the propane at all?

And where do I get the "stabilizer bars" I'll need for towing?

Thanks for your help!

Dennis and Luanne Lovin
Huntsville, Alabama

SSChanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Congratulations, and welcome to the Forums! There's an incredible amount of info here... poke around for a while and you'll undoubtedly be overwhelmed with the amount of stuff folks here know!

To answer your questions, there will be a set of gauges that will indicate your tank levels. They're not all that accurate, but they'll give you an idea (most of the time) of how full they are. I generally use the non-formaldehyde enzymes in my black tank, but there is no consensus. If you dump your tank and rinse it regularly, you may not even need chemicals. Then again...

The cord is a 30 amp RV cord. You can use the 110 adapter to plug it into a standard 15 or 20 amp circuit. Do NOT run the A/C on using that adapter. There won't be enough amperage to start your A/C and you could potenitally damage the compressor.

Turn the propane on and let it sit for an hour or so, and then try lighting the stove burners. Sometimes it takes a while for the propane to purge the air from the lines. All of the hot water comes from the water heater; usually a six gallon propane, or propane/electric setup.

There's no reason NOT to use the propane systems, as long as you don't smell propane anywhere after you turn the tanks on. If you do, shut the tanks off, and take it to a service center who can track down where it's coming from. The water heater, stove, furnace(s), and refrigerator will all run on propane, so it's a pretty vital system.

Ask questions of the previous owner who is delivering it... much of what you've asked about is easy to do, but difficult to explain in writing.

Read the many threads here on weight distributing hitches and sway control. Most good RV stores will be able to help you out with a proper hitch setup.

Good luck, and again, congratulations!

AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks for the great welcome! Appreciate the word about not running the A/C without the right amperage. Thanks also for all the other tips and directions to places on the site. Think this is going to be fun!
Old 06-18-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Another congratulations. Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of answers by just searching this site.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
AS neighbors

You might want to ask someone who is nearby and has an AS to stop by and help you out if the PO/ or the person delivering will not be there long enough to answer all of your questions. I am sure there is someone on the forums who might help with that. Larry and I have had a few driveway camp outs for newbies to come and camp and check out their "new to them" Airstream. It was fun besides.
Larry and Lou
CP: Water/30 amp/waste dump/WIFI & Room for 2-3 units; PM us if you are headed our direction!
Air #2695
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Thanks for the welcome!

The previous owner was a widow who thought she'd try Airstreaming, but it only lasted four days. She bought the unit from a dealer in January of this year and decided to sell it in June. Not much knowledge of the unit, then.

I've been studying the book, and gaining some knowledge. Setting it up in the driveway for a few days will help, and I may even add a 30 amp wall plug for it too. T

Thanks for the idea about the newbie camp! Sounds like a cool idea!