Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2006, 09:30 PM   #1

69' Overlander Overhaul

Greetings,

My name is Marty. I have been eves dropping on this forum for over a year now. I have gleaned much information and wanted to say thanks to everyone that posts to this site. I am in the process of restoring / remodeling a 1969 Airstream Overlander which I have been the proud and sometimes frustrated owner for over a year now.

The spring of 2005 was the beginning of a new camping season. My wife and I had always camped in a tent and had always dreamed of having our own camp trailer. We decided to look around at older trailers, something that we could fix up a little. Our direction quickly turned to Airstream. We finally found one that we liked and made the trip to Olympia, Washington to get it. Everything looked pretty good on the surface. I have been working on it every since June 05. Under the surface wasn't quite what I had bargained for in the beginning. I have completely gutted the trailer and am now in the process of putting it back together. I am very excited for the maiden voyage, which I am projecting for the spring of 07'.

Someday I will have a complete detailed web page of the remodel I am undertaking. For now You can check out the pictures only web page here.
http://www.infowest.com/personal/s/s...am/airstream1/
http://www.infowest.com/personal/s/s...am/airstream2/
http://www.infowest.com/personal/s/s...am/airstream3/
http://www.infowest.com/personal/s/s...am/airstream4/
http://www.infowest.com/personal/s/s...am/airstream5/

I would appreciate any feedback, questions or comments. My email address is mailto:live2ride@infowest.com

Thanks
Marty
69' Overlander
martinb321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:38 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
WOW - nice pics - big project. welcome to the forums - hope to see you at some northwest forums events next year.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:21 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Marty, Great looking trailer and great collection of photos. I was looking at the bridge that was built to work on the top and noticed that it had wheels at the bottom. What keeps it from banging into the trailer when you get on top of that thing? It looks very well built, is it 2x4's with 2x6's across the top?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:26 PM   #4

Scaffolding

The verticle uprights are two 2x4s screwed together to make a 4x4. The cross members on top are 2x6s. I have 3/4" plywood on top to sit on. I lock the casters and it doesn't move a bit. Pretty stable. When we replaced the air conditioner we had two adults (200lb each) and the air conditioner up there. When I built it I kept joking that all we need is a trap door and we'll have a gallos..
Old 08-09-2006, 10:40 PM   #5
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi martinb321--You have done a fantastic job on your overhaul. Thanks for sharing your pictures with the rest of us. I think the remainder of the job will be more fun, as you will begin to see more in finished form, and be a lot closer to enjoying A/S trips.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:44 PM   #6

Yes, I am looking forward to putting it back together. Since I have it completely apart, I am going to make some major modifications.

1. I have added a gray water tank.

2. The bedroom will have a queen sized bed.

3. There are too many changes to list here.

Marty