Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
Richard

1967 22' Safari
Monte Vista , Colorado
Question 67 Duo

Hello,

New to the forum and trying to find my way around.

My wife and I purchased a 67 Safari Twin last August and are now sitting in AZ waiting for the snow to melt at our home in Colorado.

Our tow vehicle is a 1967 GMC 3/4 ton pickup.

We bought the 67 Safari because of the year and got a wonderful deal, which doubled the fun.

I am currently learning about rivets, door hinge pins, water systems and replacement costs on refrigerators (Yikes!!) nearly what we paid for the trailer.

If anyone know how to get the hinge pin out, please let me know how. I just got a new pin from Inland RV and thought I could tackle it, but being a "husband," and receiving the "look" from my wife, I thought I had better ask.

Currently the door sags. Could this be a worn pin or worn hinge?

Hoping to get some answers and happy to have found Airstream Forums.

Pennierich
Pennierich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome! I must congratulate you on your excellent taste in Airstreams, as I love my '67 Safari! Sorry, I can't help you on your hinge pin issue, as ours has behaved since we purchased it. Good luck and please post some pictures when you get a chance (of your tow vehicle, too!)
Old 02-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #3
Richard

1967 22' Safari
Monte Vista , Colorado
Hi Mel,

I will get some pictures on soon. I am hoping to get the truck painted and the trailer polished, but will stick something on as soon as we get it hooked back up (unless my wife has some from before)

Richard
Old 02-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennierich
Hello,

New to the forum and trying to find my way around.

My wife and I purchased a 67 Safari Twin last August and are now sitting in AZ waiting for the snow to melt at our home in Colorado.

Our tow vehicle is a 1967 GMC 3/4 ton pickup.

We bought the 67 Safari because of the year and got a wonderful deal, which doubled the fun.

I am currently learning about rivets, door hinge pins, water systems and replacement costs on refrigerators (Yikes!!) nearly what we paid for the trailer.

If anyone know how to get the hinge pin out, please let me know how. I just got a new pin from Inland RV and thought I could tackle it, but being a "husband," and receiving the "look" from my wife, I thought I had better ask.

Currently the door sags. Could this be a worn pin or worn hinge?

Hoping to get some answers and happy to have found Airstream Forums.

Pennierich
There is a split pin in the side of the hinge, that holds the hinge pin in place.

It must be removed before you can remove the hinge pin.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
'67 Safari

Pennierich, Welcome to the forums! I have to agree with Mel on this.... '67 Safari is my favorite Airstream too! As far as the hinge pin goes I cannot got out in the 8+ inches of snow to look at mine right now but luckily there are more '67 Safari trailers in the West and Southwest and I'm sure someone (If not Andy R.) will chime in soon. In the meantime if you do a search here on the search tab on the blue toolbar use hinge, pin and entry door... just to name a few and see what pops up. I think there is a cotterpin or roll pin [or both] that must be removed to then push the hinge pin out. If the sag is a worn hingepin that would be the easiest repair. If it is the hinge you will most likely have to check with InlandRV to see if they carry the hinge. If they don't salvage yards will be your best bet. There are a few around the country that may have the part you seek. Hope you get it taken care of soon and don't forget WE LIKE PICTURES!!!! Happy Trails, Ed

SEE... I knew Andy would know!
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
On my 67 Safari the door sag was caused by the rivets holding the hinge on.
They had worked loose and enlarged the holes. You could move the door up and down and see it move on the body. Idrilled out the rivets and replaced them with small stainless nut and bolts. Now I can remove the door if I need to.
Some of the later models are made this way. That's where I got the idea.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:21 PM   #7
Richard

1967 22' Safari
Monte Vista , Colorado
I tried to drive the roll pin out and it won't budge. I was afraid to hit it too hard for fear of breaking the aluminum hinge. The pin I got is steel and the hinge is aluminum making me think it is probably worn inside the hiinge. The hinge is solid on the door and body of the trailer. Does anyone know where I could find a hinge. My next bet might be to have a machine shop sleve the hinge and then put in the new pin. Does anyone think that would help? The sag is only about 1/8 inch but it is enough to make it meet the skin on the knob side top.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
Welcome and congratulations!

Hi Pennierich. From one '67 Safari owner to another, welcome to the Forums! Ironically, we purchased our Safari in Colorado (Littleton) a couple of years ago. What an adventure driving there and back with two little kids and zero experience with trailers or Airstreams. But, wow, are we ever glad we did it. It's been a wonderful adventure so far, and this Forum has helped us out every step of the way. You will find your answers here - either using the search function, or from the many experienced Airstreamers that frequent the Forums.

Good luck with your new silver baby and post pictures as soon as you can!
Old 02-08-2008, 11:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Pin

Quote:
I tried to drive the roll pin out and it won't budge. I was afraid to hit it too hard for fear of breaking the aluminum hinge. The pin I got is steel and the hinge is aluminum making me think it is probably worn inside the hiinge. The hinge is solid on the door and body of the trailer. Does anyone know where I could find a hinge. My next bet might be to have a machine shop sleve the hinge and then put in the new pin. Does anyone think that would help? The sag is only about 1/8 inch but it is enough to make it meet the skin on the knob side top.
You may need to spray some PB Blaster or other penetrating lube in the opening and allow it to soak in overnight. Then check the size of your punch to the size of the roll pin (it needs to be the same diameter). It most likely has seized into the hinge pin over time as it has been exposed to the elements for 41 years. Once the lube has soaked in it should be able to be driven out more easily. Be careful not to spray any lube onto other surfaces or to let it run down on the skin or door frame as it may cause damage to your clearcoat. It sounds more like wear on the pin than on the hinge itself but you won't know until the old one is out of the hinge and you can test the new pin in the hinge guides to see if they are indeed worn. Let us know how you make out. Hope this helps. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
... My next bet might be to have a machine shop sleve the hinge and then put in the new pin. Does anyone think that would help? The sag is ... enough to make it meet the skin on the knob side top.
My '67 Overlander had the exact same problem.

Careful inspection revealed wallered-out hinge holes as opposed to a worn-down hinge pin.

I talked to a machinist about him bushing the hinge, but of course I would have to remove both parts of the hinge and take them to him before he could do anything. And to be quite honest, I had my doubts that the machinist's equipment could align-bore a part that long.

Inland Andy has posted that his shop solves the sagging door problem by reorienting the door on the hinge itself.

Three years and 8000 miles ago, I solved the problem by placing a carefully-sized piece of wood in the lower left-hand corner of the door jamb. My door is now perfectly aligned with the door frame when closed.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:12 PM   #11
Richard

1967 22' Safari
Monte Vista , Colorado
Thumbs up thanks

Tom,

Thanks for the advice and solution. I will try placing something in the lower left door frame and see if that does the trick. I can see no reason why it won't.

I had problems with the screen door draging on the threshold and was able to realign the door by placing a piece of door casing wood behind the hinge and applying pressure, but had no idea how to get the other straight.

Again, Thank you.

Richard
Old 02-09-2008, 10:21 PM   #12
Richard

1967 22' Safari
Monte Vista , Colorado
Thumbs up Thanks Ed

I will try the PB Blaster. I have a punch the right size, so hopefully it will work.

My clear coat is in not too bad condition, but I am seriously thinking of doing a polish job on the trailer. I have a couple of segments that need attention. The second owners sanded off the first owner's names and decorations. Two panels, center and left top rear are slightly pushed in and may pop back out. I will try that when I replace the clearance lights.

Do you, or anyone else, know how to take out sanding scratches?

Richard
Old 02-09-2008, 11:33 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' Globetrotter
Eaton , CO
Welcome!

Hi, Richard,

We're in northern Colorado and have a '67 Safari with the front dinette that we're working on right now. We'll tow ours with a '65 International Travelall.

Scratch marks: ours was scoured with steel wool by a PO, and we've been using the grittiest Rolite (like Nuvite) that we can find on wool polishing bonnets. It's taking a while to get out the deep, scratchy swirls, but it's working, and after the usual 7-10 passes, we should be fine.

Have you checked out the WBCCI or DenCo Unit of WBCCI, yet? The DenCo unit is pretty active all along the front range and there is a great VAC (Vintage Airstream Club) membership in Colorado, also. If you'd like more info, check out the link below. Again, welcome!
~Lori

WBCCI DenCO Unit - "The" Denver Airstream Club
59 GlobTro is offline   Reply With Quote