Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2008, 08:47 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Rich,

The cabinets are original (except for a couple of panels) and oak. The PO had painted them, so we had to remove the paint and sand them good. We went with gloss poly, mostly because we like the look. If we had the choice you have, I think we'd go with the red oak, maybe even try to work in some Lexan and back lighting for the front overhead. Of course, that's a pretty significant deviation from original design.

By the way, Tim from MN sent me a PM and is interested in the knobs also. He's prepping to start his 64 Safari project in the spring. I only have 4 knobs leftover, so I was figuring on sending you 2 for your front overhead and the other 2 to him. If you decide to go to a different style, he may be interested in your old ones. I'm not sure how many he needs. So, I'll hang on to your 2 for now, just let me know whether to send them to you or to Tim.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Roy
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:07 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Mirrored Cabinets-Restore the Mahogany!

Yes, you do see mirrors glued to all the cabinets by the PO. So I am missing all the knobs above the front and both sides. The bathroom knobs are mostly there. Should be fun restoring the cabinets, taking off the mirrors, glue, and most cabinets are also glued shut! (Don't ask, just file this under "what were they thinking")
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2359.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	71791  
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:23 AM   #23
Rivet Master

WOW!
Thats pretty wild. I thought you had six roof vents for a second there.It's going to be very difficult to get that mirror off if they used mirror mastic. Have you tried removing any yet? The best way to keep from destroying the wood underneath is to use a heat gun if they used mirror mastic. heat the mirror, not the wood, and then you can use a thin piece of wire as a saw to seperate the mirror from the door. It's easier if you have two people, one to hold the panel and another to saw through the mastic. Use caution! do not pull on the mirror as it will probably break in your hands. Paint thinner or mineral spirits will remove the mastic pretty well but it takes alot of time. You may be better off replacing the doors in the long run, depending on how much time you have to invest in this.
They glued the doors shut!?!?!?!? I don't know what to think about that.
Good luck,
Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:25 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Yes, he used mirror mastic. I think I am now depressed. Well, I may end up rebuilding cabinets and/or doors. I bet they were already delaminating, and thus the interesting "house of mirrors". I will use your advice on trying to get the mastic off, and if I find its just not worth it, I bet your cad/cam of the cabinets would come in very handy! Hopefully I could just make new doors, as that is the only thing the mirrors are stuck to. Or if I am lucky and he did nto use too much glue, maybe they will come off OK. I'll cross my fingers. And yes, he glued some of the doors shut.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Here's the first draft of drawings for my cabinets. I'm pretty sure you had the same layout originally. We both have the lower side windows, which means no dinette, but lots of view.
I'll send you some updates once I get a little further with it.
Rich
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 11-26-2008(2).pdf (613.7 KB, 83 views)
Old 11-26-2008, 01:41 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Roy, I'm pretty certain I won't be using my original knobs on this. Please pass them on to ts8501. I may be sending him the rest of mine later also.
Thanks very much, Rich
Old 11-26-2008, 07:41 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
The question is did they mean to glue them shut, and if not what fun stuff lies inside?
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Rich,

I'll send all 4 knobs to Tim. Thanks for the response.

I do have a couple of questions: Are cabinets 5 & 6 small cabinets below the windows? What are you thinking of for the counter tops? Will you post some progress photos as you go? To see an actual cabinet maker's work should give us all some ideas.

Tim,

The mirrors kind of remind me of my grandfather's barber shop from several decades ago. Looking into mirrors that are parallel to one another, the reflections appear to repeat to infinity. Do you get that effect when you look into the mirrors on the sides? By the way, I'm going to stop complaining about having to remove old paint from the woodwork. You clearly have that beat.

I'll drop the parts in the mail after the holiday.

Have a Great Thanksgiving,

Roy
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:53 PM   #29
Rivet Master

I don't have anyplace to set things(bottle, shot glass) when sitting at the front gaucho, so I'm thinking of adding those cabinets to use for that purpose. It would require notching the ends of the rail on the front of the seat to allow the bed to pull out over the top of them, and they can only be about 12" tall and 5-1/2" deep, but I think they would be very useful. If I build them right up against the front of the gaucho they will look original and I will still be able to open the storage compartments and pullout the bins. with the bed open they will be covered up and provide support for the ends of the bed platform.
I haven't thought much about the countertops yet. The original countertops are light brown formica with a "T" molding edge, 1" thick in a matching brown color. I could do the same thing again, and I probably will on the kitchen counter, but I'm partial to wood so I may do the other counters in the same wood as the cabinets but with a more durable finish.
I'm amazed at how light the cabinet construction is in airstreams. I will be setting up a construction template in my layout program so it will accurately show the construction and give me a cutlist for parts. I would guess that the cabinets in my trailer weigh maybe 150 to 200 pounds. the same cabinets with my standard cabinet construction would be 450 to 500 pounds!
Old 11-27-2008, 08:21 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Thanks guys. I wish I had the space to keep the '64 closer at hand. I am feeling the need to "get to work!". Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-27-2008, 08:58 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
1964 24' Tradewind
1956 18' "Footer"
Southern , Minnesota
Tim,

I'm thinking that if you place a red laser light in just the right spot, it will reflect off all the mirrors and unlock your cabinets releasing the money stashed there for your renovation...

add a fog machine and a subwoofer and turn your trailer into a "rave machine" ready to roll into BurningMan

Steve "Dancin" Hansen
TAC MN-31

visit my almost yearly blog https://www.bluessafari.blogspot.com
GR8DANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:24 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
GR8DANE:

You forgot the Disco Ball! I'll have to give you a call this weekend. Hope your work on your '66 is coming along. We have to make a point of pondering our Safari's with an appropriate beverage from one of the best brewers on the planet.
August Schell Brewing Company: Since 1860

-Tim
Old 11-27-2008, 12:15 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts8501 View Post
GR8DANE:

You forgot the Disco Ball! I'll have to give you a call this weekend. Hope your work on your '66 is coming along. We have to make a point of pondering our Safari's with an appropriate beverage from one of the best brewers on the planet.
August Schell Brewing Company: Since 1860

-Tim
I sure would like to try their "SNOW STORM" Wonder if it's available here in San Diego? If not Why not? Maybe I can get some shipped to me, that would be sweeeeeet !!
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote