Old 11-11-2008, 09:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Viking,

Oops, forgot to answer the polishing question. Yes we did it ourselves. Pretty labor intensive, but enjoyable in that you get to see the results as you progress. Important recommendation here is to get a variable speed compounder and wool bonnets rather than a drill and backing pad. We're at the Cyclo-polish once a year stage. We'll consider clear coat when polishing becomes more work than it's worth.

Roy

Old 11-22-2008, 08:43 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Thanks for sharing your find and photos! Keep us updated as it is fun to see how we all fix up our ol gals!

Old 11-23-2008, 12:49 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
Hi everyone,
My name is Rich, and I just got myself a beautiful 1964 Safari. This is the result of a 4 month search covering most of california. I was lucky enough to find this one only 35 miles from my home in the Santa Cruz Mountains. It will be needing a new floor and cabinets soon, but I'm planning on using it for a while first to shake out the bugs. It has a brand new axle and tires, and a load leveling anti-sway hitch. The inside is in poor shape over-all, but all appliances, plumbing and electrical are working. Enjoy the pics. This is a great website.
Be advised that all 1974 and older axles will fail due to an improper rubber rod comp[osition.

Yours may have already been replaced.

Also be advised that the spare tire mounted on the bumper, is a guarantee of rear end separation.

Spare tires can be mounted below the front window, or with an Airstream spare tire carrier, which holds the spare underneath the front of the trailer.

Andy
Old 11-24-2008, 03:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Rivet good to hear from you.

I'm fortunate that the PO replaced the axle and tires on this one. the spare on the rear bumper is a real pain in the...rear. Access to the water pump and battery is awful. I would like to put the spare on the front behind the L P tanks. I would also like to put on larger tanks for the L P, because the future holds a propane powered generator in store for me!
I've also been looking into the possibility of removing the furnace and replacing it with a slide out air conditioner. I'm not sure that I want to change things that much though. I really like the fact that this trailer is so close to original.
I work in a cabinet shop, so the interior wood will be replaced with either mahogany or quarter sawn red oak using the original layout and construction. The accordian door was missing from this one , so I may make one with the same material also. I need to make a new cabinet to go above the front window, but the old one was already gone. I could sure use some good close-ups of the cabinet with the doors opened so I could see the construction better(hint, hint).
I'm too busy right now to spend as much time on this project as I want to. For now I'm just working out the plan of attack and picking up parts(see picture for lights, I need one set) and Ideas for the future(a nice set of wings, and this would be an awesome ART CAR.
I'll see you at BURNINGMAN. look for the TUNA GUYS!
Sashimi,
Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 042.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	389.4 KB
ID:	71736  
Old 11-25-2008, 09:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Rich,

Attached are some photos. Hope they help. If you need any critical dimensions or other specific photos, let me know. Also, I have a couple of extra knobs and latch receivers, from our dinette removal, if you can't find a source nearby. By the way, the rear cone light is a single light fixture, not a double like the front ones.

Keep us posted on your progress,

Roy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	open looking left.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	71755   Click image for larger version

Name:	open looking right.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	71756  

Name:	view from under.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	71757   Click image for larger version

Name:	knob style.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	71758  

Old 11-25-2008, 02:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Thanks Roy, that's a big help. I had just the frame for the front of this one and could'nt tell how it goes from there. I will be installing all new cabinets this winter and I'll probably be replacing the cabinet latches with similar new ones if I can find suitable replacements. I'll keep you in mind if I decide to re-use the old ones though, as I would be short a couple.
It looks like your cabinets are either mahogany or stained oak. Do you know which it is? I'm still torn between the two, but I'm leaning toward using quartersawn red oak. I like the flame figure like you see on older mission and craftsman furniture.
Progress will be slow until I can get a shelter over it, as we are already starting to get rain here.
thanks again
Rich
Old 11-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Rich,

The cabinets are original (except for a couple of panels) and oak. The PO had painted them, so we had to remove the paint and sand them good. We went with gloss poly, mostly because we like the look. If we had the choice you have, I think we'd go with the red oak, maybe even try to work in some Lexan and back lighting for the front overhead. Of course, that's a pretty significant deviation from original design.

By the way, Tim from MN sent me a PM and is interested in the knobs also. He's prepping to start his 64 Safari project in the spring. I only have 4 knobs leftover, so I was figuring on sending you 2 for your front overhead and the other 2 to him. If you decide to go to a different style, he may be interested in your old ones. I'm not sure how many he needs. So, I'll hang on to your 2 for now, just let me know whether to send them to you or to Tim.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Roy
Old 11-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1990 34' Excella
1964 22' Safari
Savage , Minnesota
Mirrored Cabinets-Restore the Mahogany!

Yes, you do see mirrors glued to all the cabinets by the PO. So I am missing all the knobs above the front and both sides. The bathroom knobs are mostly there. Should be fun restoring the cabinets, taking off the mirrors, glue, and most cabinets are also glued shut! (Don't ask, just file this under "what were they thinking")
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP2359.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	71791  
Old 11-26-2008, 12:23 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
WOW!
Thats pretty wild. I thought you had six roof vents for a second there.It's going to be very difficult to get that mirror off if they used mirror mastic. Have you tried removing any yet? The best way to keep from destroying the wood underneath is to use a heat gun if they used mirror mastic. heat the mirror, not the wood, and then you can use a thin piece of wire as a saw to seperate the mirror from the door. It's easier if you have two people, one to hold the panel and another to saw through the mastic. Use caution! do not pull on the mirror as it will probably break in your hands. Paint thinner or mineral spirits will remove the mastic pretty well but it takes alot of time. You may be better off replacing the doors in the long run, depending on how much time you have to invest in this.
They glued the doors shut!?!?!?!? I don't know what to think about that.
Good luck,
Rich
Old 11-26-2008, 01:25 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1990 34' Excella
1964 22' Safari
Savage , Minnesota
Yes, he used mirror mastic. I think I am now depressed. Well, I may end up rebuilding cabinets and/or doors. I bet they were already delaminating, and thus the interesting "house of mirrors". I will use your advice on trying to get the mastic off, and if I find its just not worth it, I bet your cad/cam of the cabinets would come in very handy! Hopefully I could just make new doors, as that is the only thing the mirrors are stuck to. Or if I am lucky and he did nto use too much glue, maybe they will come off OK. I'll cross my fingers. And yes, he glued some of the doors shut.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Here's the first draft of drawings for my cabinets. I'm pretty sure you had the same layout originally. We both have the lower side windows, which means no dinette, but lots of view.
I'll send you some updates once I get a little further with it.
Rich
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 11-26-2008(2).pdf (613.7 KB, 71 views)
Old 11-26-2008, 02:41 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Roy, I'm pretty certain I won't be using my original knobs on this. Please pass them on to ts8501. I may be sending him the rest of mine later also.
Thanks very much, Rich
Old 11-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
The question is did they mean to glue them shut, and if not what fun stuff lies inside?
Old 11-26-2008, 09:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Rich,

I'll send all 4 knobs to Tim. Thanks for the response.

I do have a couple of questions: Are cabinets 5 & 6 small cabinets below the windows? What are you thinking of for the counter tops? Will you post some progress photos as you go? To see an actual cabinet maker's work should give us all some ideas.

Tim,

The mirrors kind of remind me of my grandfather's barber shop from several decades ago. Looking into mirrors that are parallel to one another, the reflections appear to repeat to infinity. Do you get that effect when you look into the mirrors on the sides? By the way, I'm going to stop complaining about having to remove old paint from the woodwork. You clearly have that beat.

I'll drop the parts in the mail after the holiday.

Have a Great Thanksgiving,

Roy