Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Appleby-in-Westmorland , Cumbria
Thumbs up '63 Bambi Finds itself in the UK!

Greetings from the cold North of England (Cumbria) to fellow Airstream and Bambi Owners. Bought my Bambi at Hershey PA 3 years ago and have only recently (been rebuilding an 1875 Railway Cottage) started to get to grips with it. In the last couple of months Ive ripped the underbelly off, had all the rusty bits of the chassis replaced and pieced in replacements for the rotted floor. Now I'm contemplating a re-wire (we're 240 volts over here) and replacing lots of gas and water plumbing. Oh and there's the question of what to do with the 45 year old hot water boiler, although I've already picked up some useful hints from technical side of this website.
I've had the tow car wired for electric brakes, and they did work when I towed it, but the unit in the car seems to have gone on the blink. I no longer get a digital readout everytime I apply the brakes. Oh and there's the question of fitting a new breakaway unit and how to incorporate that in the re-wire...... I could go on, but I'm sure most of my worries, tribulations and naive questions can be explored elsewhere on this website! The challenge is on to get Bambi on the road and slept in, preferably with a highly polished exterior. Greetings from John Keith, and thanks for reading this drivel.
John Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It's interesting drivel. The water heater would probably be best replaced with a comparable LP only unit. If it is LP only, you don't have to worry about hooking the electric to it.
For the brake controller, when you push the slide lever over, do the brakes on the trailer apply? The breakaway switch should be wired in to the main brake wire, one wire to the brake wire, and the other wire to the 12v battery.
Also, there are more of us than you would think here interested in things like railways (railroads), aircraft, and ships, as well as the aluminum trailers.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
1959 17' Pacer
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Daytona Beach , Florida
You're not alone...

We started emptying our collection, and sold 3 Bambi's to one collector in UK last summer. My man has sent 6 over there, and just last week 2 of our Bubbles hit the docks. We have 2 more to go, and 4 more Bambi's and Bambi 2's to deliver.

There is a collector there with around 10 16'ers, thats the buyer who we delivered the 3 Bambi's to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00496.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	59825   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00465.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	59826  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00491.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	59827   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00494.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	59828  

EllieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums!

We have our 1963 Bambi here in California! Love our sweet bambi! Hope you will have a great time enjoying yours! My dear hubby did a frame off restoration and has lots of pictures and such of the process. Grab a big cup of hot tea and and click through his thread to find out how he did things.

By the way, we have all our original appliances, including the original Bowen hot water heater. We love it! It does a great job! So does the little refrig, water pump, heater, etc.

Here is a link to his thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...mbi-17925.html

Have fun!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
hyannis , Massachusetts
Hey John Keith,Im working on my 1963 bambi here in New England. Dont have a clue what im doing but this is the place to be!!! Lots of information here and plenty of great people willing to help. Let me know how its going at any time. Best of luck! christopher
christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:16 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Appleby-in-Westmorland , Cumbria
Thanks Christopher!

Good to know others are working on something similar. Although I'm working in a virtual vacuum knowledge-wise I have built kit cars and rebuilt 4 houses (including plumbing and wiring) so do have some practical skills which might be of use.
Incredibly this is the 4th day of absolutely super cloudless weather here in Cumbria (which has the highest rainfall in England). Unfortunately the building of a brick bar-b-q takes priority over the Bambi today (A get-together of 8 cousins with partners at my place on July 20th looms!)
Keep in touch John-in-shorts-today.
John Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:24 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
hyannis , Massachusetts
Hey John Keith, Great to here back from you.My grill took priority also. Cannot think of putting together a kit car! Took all I could do to put my grill together. I am currently working on a 1966 ford falcon I got found in Arizona. It had been sitting for 25 years and has 42,000 miles on it. The best part is its rust free. Something that would be hard to find in New England. Glad its all together!! Will keep in touch Christopher-in-rain-gear-today.
christopher is offline   Reply With Quote