Old 05-26-2009, 06:16 AM   #1

1961 30' Sovereign
Mancelona , Michigan
'61 Sovereign- Just bought it last night

Hi all,
Been lurking a bit while we searched for our new Airstream. Last night we bought a 1961 Sovereign. She's in pretty rough shape, but we can't wait to fix her up. Our plan is to move from Northern Michigan to Southwest Texas and use it as a temporary home while we build a house made of recycled shipping containers.

My b/f is a metal sculptor who works with mostly recycled materials, so we plan on using as much recycled material as possible in our living spaces.

Nice to meet y'all (see, practicing for Texas living )

Old 05-26-2009, 06:24 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome marciev,

Northern Michigan to Southwest Texas? Now that's what I call a change!!! Does your new AS have AC?

Keep us posted on your travels, and post some picutres of the home building project.

Welcome to the forums.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hey there, marciev! Welcome to Airforum.com

Congrats on your new purchase, and c'mon, let's see the pictures of it! Sure it's rough, but classic Airstreams ALL start out that way, and it's fun to see how folks make them better.

And wow, your b/f (boyfriend, best friend?) is a metal sculpture!? Hoo boy, I'm already anxious to see what he does with that trailer, should be something way far out!

Cheers,
Aage
Old 05-26-2009, 11:53 AM   #4

1961 30' Sovereign
Mancelona , Michigan
It's being delivered tonight, and I'm a photographer, so photos will abound! (Here's a link with an iphone pic though: http://twitpic.com/5yc45) I think it has air, if not, it will. We'll be moving to high desert though, so it caps off around 80 degrees most of the time out there.

Yeah, my boyfriend has a metal shop of his own, plus he does other things like mosaic work. He's got some great ideas. We are so excited to work on this together!
Old 05-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Gaylord , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to Rollerboy
Hello Marcie,We are Neighbors,Where did that Beauty come from ? Sure is nice to have another Streamer so close by.Anything You need,Holler !! We live in Waters btw...
Old 05-26-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by marciev View Post
Hi all,
Been lurking a bit while we searched for our new Airstream. Last night we bought a 1961 Sovereign. She's in pretty rough shape, but we can't wait to fix her up. Our plan is to move from Northern Michigan to Southwest Texas and use it as a temporary home while we build a house made of recycled shipping containers.

My b/f is a metal sculptor who works with mostly recycled materials, so we plan on using as much recycled material as possible in our living spaces.

Nice to meet y'all (see, practicing for Texas living )

I saw a program on a couple who used shipping containers to complete their self-contained, off-grid, home. This is something that really interests me!!! Once you start that endeavor - you just HAVE to post photos of that too! I'll be waiting .....

Congrats on your purchase - I'm certain it'll be grand too.

Laura
Old 05-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #7

1961 30' Sovereign
Mancelona , Michigan
Hi Rollerboy...we found it on Craigslist, it was in Ashton which is near Cadillac. There are a couple more available around here on Craigslist if you are looking to add to your collection . This one seemed to be the one that worked best for us.

Laura, we plan on totally living on the grid though! We do 99% of our work/sales online. Not so much on the roughing it, and our renovations will reflect that! We have some animated plans online- here's the link.

If it's poor forum etiquette to use a link to a personal site like this, please let me know! You seem like a fun group already!
Old 05-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
We can't wait to see pics of both your new AS and the home. Welcom and Good Luck!
Old 05-26-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
It's being delivered tonight, and I'm a photographer, so photos will abound! (Here's a link with an iphone pic though: Our new airstream on Twitpic) I think it has air, if not, it will. We'll be moving to high desert though, so it caps off around 80 degrees most of the time out there.

Yeah, my boyfriend has a metal shop of his own, plus he does other things like mosaic work. He's got some great ideas. We are so excited to work on this together!
Say, that's a pretty good picture for a phone! As you said, the shell looks good from what we can see of it.

And yes, there is an AC unit on the roof, of course it remains to be seen if it works.

Gotta love those jalousie windows, too. Lookin' good so far!
Old 05-26-2009, 04:24 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Gaylord , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to Rollerboy
ahh ,was supposed to go look at it on friday,but the wife had to work... ain't life fun !
Old 05-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Looks llike a great find marcie

Welcome to the wonderful madness of restoration. Its an enjoyable journey. I love the late 50's and early 60's style. I'll be looking forward to more pictures

Tom
Old 05-26-2009, 04:57 PM   #12

1961 30' Sovereign
Mancelona , Michigan
Yay! It was just delivered a couple hours ago, now the work begins!
Here are some photos I posted to Flickr, I plan on setting up a page on my blog as we get going.
Thanks for all the kind comments!
Old 05-26-2009, 05:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I really like the big windows on the front street side, '61's rule.

(I also like the fire pits on your site) :-)
Old 05-27-2009, 07:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Hi Rollerboy...we found it on Craigslist, it was in Ashton which is near Cadillac. There are a couple more available around here on Craigslist if you are looking to add to your collection . This one seemed to be the one that worked best for us.

Laura, we plan on totally living on the grid though! We do 99% of our work/sales online. Not so much on the roughing it, and our renovations will reflect that! We have some animated plans online- here's the link.

If it's poor forum etiquette to use a link to a personal site like this, please let me know! You seem like a fun group already!

That's pretty fantastic!!!