Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1960 17' Pacer
gulf hammock , Florida
60pacer restoration

first forum I have posted on for old airstreams.I figure I can learn alot from other postings on this site.
60pacerhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:28 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1960 17' Pacer
gulf hammock , Florida
Anybody ever hang a small window ac on a small airstream? Cannot afford a rooftop unit but NEED to camp this summer. Also the little cone shaped lamps in front of unit are popped out of their sockets.Did this unit come with the Dura-torque axle? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:40 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

60 Pacer

A 60 Pacer should be before they started using duratorque axles. Our 58 Pacer has leaf springs. Are the cone lamps like the ones in this page?

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6...eb060006.0.jpg

Last year at the International Rally in Springfield several trailers had temporary cooling that worked. One was a AC that was a free standing cabinet within the trailer that had a hose vented to the outside thru a window.

The other solution for a small trailer ( 19ft) was a small lightweight AC installed once the trailer was at the rally site. The front window was removed to make way for the AC.
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:42 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1960 17' Pacer
gulf hammock , Florida
we have the metal lamps unlike the ones you pictured. they have popped out of their sockets otherwise in good shape. we have tried every method we could imagine to pop them back in with no success. where do you find these cabinet a.c. units? Thanx in advance. Thanx also for the other reply.....much appreciated.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:08 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

portable AC unit

I just googled "portable AC" and got the following which will give you an idea of what these are.

http://www.compactappliance.com/xq/J...le%20Air%3EAd1
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums. Wish I could give you one of my AC units we have two and hardly ever use them. I like the idea of a portable unit then you will not have something hanging out the side which could be dangerous.
Good luck to you, maybe plan a trip up here where it stays cool enough so you will not need the AC.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
60Pacer,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60pacer
Did this unit come with the Dura-torque axle? Thanks in advance for any help.
Not my intention to bump this thread, which has been dormant for a while, but wanted to comment on DuraTorques on the Pacer.

Our 1960 Pacer came with a DuraTorque axle which had been in service for about 43 years when we got it. (Still working fine.) Most histories show the DuraTorque being introduced around in the early 60's, but not that early.

The Pacer was sort of an "economy" model and I suspect the factory tried out the DuraTorque on that model as a "beta test" before applying them to the bigger and fancier trailers. The fact that ours was still working fine more than 40 years later must say that they worked OK!

I read various opinions on gauging the wear on a DuraTorque and decided to have ours replaced. The factory service department didn't bat an eyelash, quoted me a new axle and four hours labor, and that was all it cost.

(Where else can you get a half-century-old product fixed as cheerfully as if you bought it yesterday?! . )

I have seen a total of four Pacers (including ours) and one of the first things I do is check the axle. So far I have seen two DuraTorques and two spring axles. So it apparently depended on what they had on hand that week.

See you down the road,
Nuvite
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote