Old 10-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
50 feet of Shiny

Hi -

I've posted to a few threads, but not yet into the New Members section -

Our family of 4 has gotten very good use out of our 20' SOB - averaging between 30 and 40 nights over the summer months and some 10k km per year for the couple of years we have owned the trailer. But as the kids get older (larger) we had started to look for a larger bunkhouse model.

A recent discovery that Airstream made a bunkhouse for a short period, followed by the discovery of one for sale within driving distance means...

We now have a 30' Safari Bunkhouse to pull behind our 20' 2012 F150 Supercrew. In the middle is a new ProPride 3P hitch.

The family mantra is now 'Shiny'! Over 50ft of Shiny!

Click image for larger version

Name:	MI071777 800x600 sRGB.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	169502

Name:	MI071778 800x600 sRGB.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	169503

Having towed the Airstream for a few hundred km - through pretty heavy rain - I am very impressed with how the rig handles. It's a night and day improvement in handling over my Toyota Sienna pulling a 20' Jayco with a Equal-i-zer WD/Sway Control Hitch. There's no doubt there's a large trailer behind the truck - but unlike pulling with the old rig where it was both hands on the wheel/strict focus on the road ahead with the new rig you could actually relax and enjoy the fall colours!

The trailer's not perfect - there are maintenance items required starting with a brand new set of tires* which get installed tomorrow. So I'll be making even more use of the search engine of the forum as I look for answers to a miriad of questions.

Thanks to folks who have already answered many questions - either directly in threads or PMs - or indirectly in the many threads that I have already read!

And hats off to Sean at Propride who certainly went out of his way to get me the hitch when I needed it, and to assist when UPS temporarily lost one of the packages. The call on a Friday evening when I was miles from home and trying to install the hitch was much appreciated.

The inaugural trip is this weekend - Canadian Thanksgiving at Ontario's Sandbanks Provincial Park!

* For those interested in the tire selection: Michelin LTX M/S2 235/75R15.

MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia

Congrats on your new purchases. Looks like you jumped in with both feet. Welcome to the forums.

It is wonderful that you are able to do so much camping with your family.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
It's Different in an Airstream!

Back from the first weekend out with the Airstream - a huge hit with the family. The space and layout worked better than predicted.

The bunkhouse model was available with either a couch or two chairs/sidetable combination. As we started our search, the preferred option was the couch - but the unit we found had the two chairs.

After using the camper for the weekend we really liked the chairs. The extra table was very useful at meal time and we appreciated the flexibility in floor space by moving the chairs.

All (most) systems worked flawlessly - especially the furnace given it was approaching freezing at night (we didn't try the AC ).

Most unexpected were the comments from fellow campers. In the couple of years we've been camping with our SOB, I've never had anybody ask me questions, or comment on our trailer. This weekend on multiple occasions, folks either commented on the looks of the trailers, or had more detailed questions. I also received a complement from the patient driver who waited while I backed the trailer into the tight camp site. Nailed it on the first attempt - not bad for a trailer that is 50% longer than the previous.

Name:	MI071902 800x600 sRGB.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	169849

Unfortunately it's into storage until the spring. Lots of time to plan trips for the big shiny.

Playing around with Photoshop...BW photography really suits the Airstream...

Name:	MI071902 800x600 BW.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	169850
MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote