Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2016, 07:44 PM   #1

sebastian , Florida
35 foot 1996 Airstream Land Yacht Diesel

I am looking at buying this coach , but have no experience with this airstream.
The owner does not know the engine or HP, air ride or anything else about it.
Only 40 K miles .
Any thing I should look for?
Thanks for advising.
straycatboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:44 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
My words are not gospel but should be close.

The coach I believe was built on a Spartan chassis with a 275 Cummins first gen turbo diesel and Allison tranny.

What to look out for:

The big one is body delamination; where water has gotten in between the 1/4" Luan and outer fibreglass body. The Luan rots out easily and the fibreglass body loses adhesion. Look for wavyness or bumps in the body.

Roof condition and sealant

Leaks, discoloured wall treatment or curtains will be a give away for water leaks.

Subfloor condition and soundness.

Test every button, lever and system. If it turns something on or off, turn it on or off to see if it works; and I do mean everything. This will take you at least four hours to do properly.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote