Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
3 Diesel Pushers = 1 Airstream

After owning 3 class A diesel pushers (Beaver/Holiday Rambler) we recently took delivery of our first travel trailer, our Airstream. Never really thought I'd own one but got tired of the poor quality and high cost of most motor homes and frankly the dealers that sell and service them. We thought we'd go for a 5th wheel until we starting reading all the various forums. Final choice came down to Carriage or Airstream. Seems like Airstream owners are much happier with their investment overall than Carriage and an Airstream is just much cooler and simpler. A big thank you too all the hundreds of forum contributors for making our choice easier.

As a marketing professional I was amazed during our research at how most of the RV manufactures and many dealers still don't get that instant research is being done by potential customers. in the years ahead, the dealer body, vendors and manufactures will each either thrive or die based on user's input online.

A side note; we choose a new Ford F250 diesel as Ford did not 'fire' a large segment of their dealers or take bailout dollars from us taxpayers. GM and Chrysler will be excluded in all future purchases. Our local GM dealer was fired after over 90 years of loyalty!

Thanks again forum members for your valuable input. I've spent countless hours learning and planning and look forward to our continued journeys.
ShinyRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:29 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Congrats on your new trailer. I hope you have many happy trips ahead You'll find there's a lot of active Airstreamers in the NW area, and we occasionally get together and camp. Check out the recent Steens Mtn Rally thread. Hopefully we'll see you down the road!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Congratulations!

That's a great combination tow-vehicle and trailer, you have impeccible taste.

Welcome to the forums.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Berkeley , California
Welcome to the Forums ShinyRoad! Your will not be disappointed.

F-250 Diesel + 27' Airstream =
Prodigy/Enkay/Hensley/Solar/LED lighting
AIR 4598 / WBCCI FCU 8579/
EAA 872814
BeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Enjoy your new AS - but I still like my "Public Transport" GMC Duramax after spending a lot of time comparing!

Each to his own eh chum!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:12 AM   #6
Airstream Dad

2008 28' International CCD
Orange County , California
We too are thrilled with our airstream and Ford truck. (I bought the F150 King Ranch two years before we purchased the airstream. My brother helped us upgrade it with Airbags, additional transmission cooling, exhaust, K&N intake, and a leveling kit with BF Goodrich All Terrains - so I feel like it is more of an F175! Someday I will consider the F250... in the meantime, we are loving it. (Rarely run into problems with power) - what is your gas milage with the F250?
28IntlCCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
F250 mpg

Brand new truck without trailer we were seeing 13.2 MPG. As the engine started to break in that steadily climbed to 15.1 MPG at 3,000 miles. I was happy to see 13.7 to 14.1 while towing including a lot of mountain driving. We should have a really good stat after 1200 miles to the Palm Springs area next month.

Going down step grades the tow boss controller eliminates most braking. Going up step grades I can pass big rigs at will. Really cool feature: The back up camera with aiming lines that's built in to the tail gate and rear view mirror makes hitching up a cake walk, even hooking up by myself.

Hope this helps,
Bill
Old 09-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Like you, I went from a large, ( Monaco 38' triple slide) MH to an Airstream. It is so much simpler, easy, less expensive and just plain more enjoyable.

Good Luck!

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Another Reason For Switching to Airstream

I failed to mention another reason for not buying another diesel pusher. We had a new '06 40FT Beaver Marquis towing a GMC Yukon. Over 55,000 lbs. Long story short, a senior that should NOT have been driving according to the police, turned left into our path and our right of way. We T-boned this little Toyota Corolla at about 25 MPH. Thankfully they survived somehow. We were not hurt either (hardly felt the impact), but this small car destroyed the entire front of our coach and the passenger door when flying, exposing my wife to flying plastic. Took five months and $92,000 to repair.

I realized that most motor homes have no crunch zones in front. This little car took our coach down to the frame rails. With our Airstream and F250 we now have a big crumple zone and engine out front. Much more peace of mind. I'd also be interested in the panic stop distances with our rig compared to a large pusher. Unlike the car mags you never see this data posted. Driving both, I feel much more in control with the Airstream.

Bill
Old 09-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Bill;

You ARE much more in control with the Airstream.

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:54 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2011 30' International
mooresburg , Tennessee
pusher

bill,
I am trying to sell my pusher and buy an airstream, where did you have luck selling. Gerry
gtc6452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #12

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the several new members who have signed on this thread. We're glad to have you all with us.

It is interesting to read about campers who come to Airstream travel trailer from big mohos. I'll bet that doesn't happen with any other brand of travel trailer.

We have pulled our Lucy ('05 Safari 25FB) over 50,000 miles and have spent almost 500 nights in her. We still very much enjoy the experience. Occasionally, we think it might be nice to try a moho. We have done some looking, and if we ever did make the move, we would try to find a really nice '05 Airstream 30' Land Yacht.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:41 PM   #13
Airstream Dad

2008 28' International CCD
Orange County , California
Thanks for the MPG info. Like you moosetags, I have thought of one day trying the class a motorhome... i keep thinking it would be nice to be driving along the road and have all the comforts of the living quarters available.... but then when we unhitch and get to drive around in my regular pickup, I'm pretty happy. Never thought of the crumple zone factor, now I will. I had to make an emergency stop on a steep mountain road in Az, heading downhill. I was at full speed (65 or so) and stopping distance was definitely quite a bit longer than without the 28' airstream behind me.. but it was "what i would expect". In other words, you know how you get that feeling of how long it takes to stop... and the ratio your truck has between a normal and emergency stop? It seems the same. In my experience, when in emergency mode, the complete rig CAN stop a little faster than you might imagine, but you still need the room.... so in general that "instinct" that tells you to follow at a distance is correct. I've just upgraded the "2 second rule" to the "4 second at a minimum, but 8 second on the open interstate" rule... doesn't hurt when you are way out there anyway. And I try to pull in and stop an hour before the sun sets everyday. (at 41 years old, I doubt I could claim my eyes are bad yet, but I just don't want to drive at night after a long day on the road.)

Anyone have a solution to keep the airstream cool while you are towing it? This summer it got super hot inside while we were towing during the day.
28IntlCCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:58 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Quote:
I am trying to sell my pusher and buy an airstream, where did you have luck selling. Gerry
Sold on RV Trader in 30-days in '07 just before things got ugly. An RV manager told me the other day that motor homes are now 50% off usual values1. They look at auction numbers now to get values. If you sell online, offer great photos and good copy. Keep lowering the price $5K to 10K every two weeks until sold.
Bill
Old 09-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Congratulations on your new Airstream. Thanks for buying FORD.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I have had both, my rant was all the rattles they have. I use mine over 20k/year and the depreciation is just a killer. Nobody wants a motorhome with 100k miles or more. Plus, in the event of a rollover, I like all the air bags front and side in our new f150. I have seen more than once a moho on the roof and it is ugly indeed. It makes you wonder every time how things worked out.

Nothing is perfect, and we have our issues, but the damn things get in your blood. I just waubernized mine twice getting ready for the annual nationwide tour. Must be the rivets, but I just think they are beautiful and timeless. I have never had any rv for over 2 years. Well, we are going on year 3, and no plans to sell. That should speak volumes. Welcome to the family.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
[QUOTE=safari 28;753377] Nobody wants a motorhome with 100k miles or more.

So you have one that you dont want?
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:10 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
[QUOTE=345bill;753425]
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari 28 View Post
Nobody wants a motorhome with 100k miles or more.

So you have one that you dont want?
I did before the streamer. I have had class b/c/a all gas over the past 14-18 years alongside other various SOB trailer. In the end, motorhomes sold with over 50k miles or more were huge money pits. I learned a trailer bought used about 3-5 years old are the best for someone who puts on lots of miles annually. This appears to be very true with an Airstream.

Do not get me wrong, the years with the kids on the road in a MH are some of the best memories I have. I am thankful we never crashed. They rattle and breakdowns were common as they aged. When all goes well they are a lot of fun. Each his own, for my time in life the streamer works. Sometimes in the driveway I just look at it as lawn art for the house.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:40 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Quote:
Anyone have a solution to keep the airstream cool while you are towing it? This summer it got super hot inside while we were towing during the day.
Try opening your front and rear fantastic fans about 1/4 of the way open. Turn on the rear fan to low or medium to keep the air moving through and out the trailer. Won't be any cooler than outside, but shouldn't be much hotter either. The newer, larger fans work great.

Bill
Old 09-30-2009, 11:49 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
We purchased a 2006 Class-C Winnebego Aspect, pre-owned in October of 2007.
Our kids could not get over the 'dork factor' so we sold it two weeks before gas sky rocketed last fall. What a blessing!
The Aspect is more streamlined than your average class-c but our teen boys still were mortified to be seen in it.
My husband and I missed RVing so we bought the Airstream. The boys love it.
They still do not always come with us but they like the 'wow factor' and attention of the Airstream.
I will need to show this thread to my husband. He often still wonders if a MH with power jacks, pop-outs, on-board generator, and all the other goodies would be even better. He is waiting for the Euro-styling to get established before he really pushes for the switch.
He loves the AS but he also loves to have an excuse to look at things with motors!
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote