Old 09-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Congratulations on your new Airstream. Thanks for buying FORD.

willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I have had both, my rant was all the rattles they have. I use mine over 20k/year and the depreciation is just a killer. Nobody wants a motorhome with 100k miles or more. Plus, in the event of a rollover, I like all the air bags front and side in our new f150. I have seen more than once a moho on the roof and it is ugly indeed. It makes you wonder every time how things worked out.

Nothing is perfect, and we have our issues, but the damn things get in your blood. I just waubernized mine twice getting ready for the annual nationwide tour. Must be the rivets, but I just think they are beautiful and timeless. I have never had any rv for over 2 years. Well, we are going on year 3, and no plans to sell. That should speak volumes. Welcome to the family.

safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Las Vegas , Nevada
[QUOTE=safari 28;753377] Nobody wants a motorhome with 100k miles or more.

So you have one that you dont want?
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:10 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Originally Posted by safari 28 View Post
Nobody wants a motorhome with 100k miles or more.

So you have one that you dont want?
I did before the streamer. I have had class b/c/a all gas over the past 14-18 years alongside other various SOB trailer. In the end, motorhomes sold with over 50k miles or more were huge money pits. I learned a trailer bought used about 3-5 years old are the best for someone who puts on lots of miles annually. This appears to be very true with an Airstream.

Do not get me wrong, the years with the kids on the road in a MH are some of the best memories I have. I am thankful we never crashed. They rattle and breakdowns were common as they aged. When all goes well they are a lot of fun. Each his own, for my time in life the streamer works. Sometimes in the driveway I just look at it as lawn art for the house.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:40 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Anyone have a solution to keep the airstream cool while you are towing it? This summer it got super hot inside while we were towing during the day.
Try opening your front and rear fantastic fans about 1/4 of the way open. Turn on the rear fan to low or medium to keep the air moving through and out the trailer. Won't be any cooler than outside, but shouldn't be much hotter either. The newer, larger fans work great.

ShinyRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:49 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
We purchased a 2006 Class-C Winnebego Aspect, pre-owned in October of 2007.
Our kids could not get over the 'dork factor' so we sold it two weeks before gas sky rocketed last fall. What a blessing!
The Aspect is more streamlined than your average class-c but our teen boys still were mortified to be seen in it.
My husband and I missed RVing so we bought the Airstream. The boys love it.
They still do not always come with us but they like the 'wow factor' and attention of the Airstream.
I will need to show this thread to my husband. He often still wonders if a MH with power jacks, pop-outs, on-board generator, and all the other goodies would be even better. He is waiting for the Euro-styling to get established before he really pushes for the switch.
He loves the AS but he also loves to have an excuse to look at things with motors!
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:06 AM   #21

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

I just love your description of the "dork factor".

SuEllyn shops the classifieds daily for late model Land Yachts. I think that she really just wants to be able to sleep-in while I get on the road early.

I think that the "dork factor" plays a role in my resistance to such a plan. I think that I would miss my Lucy pulled by a 3/4 ton Quadrasteer Suburban, definitely a non-dork rig.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:22 AM   #22
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Originally Posted by ShinyRoad View Post
Try opening your front and rear fantastic fans about 1/4 of the way open. Turn on the rear fan to low or medium to keep the air moving through and out the trailer. Won't be any cooler than outside, but shouldn't be much hotter either. The newer, larger fans work great.

Fantastic does not recommend this, as the buffeting will tear the cover off, or at least loosen it to the point it has trouble opening and closing.
A solution that worked for us with our manual opening Fantastic, was to install a Maxx Air vent cover on the outside, and open the Fantastic under it. This also is not recommended, but for a different reason: Not as much air will flow when parked and operating it. It was a good trade-off for us, Less air while parked vs a cooler trailer when we get where we're going.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
This is really a matter of personal preference. A MO with slides certainly gives you a bit more room. However, a 35' MO loses about 4' up front to the driver/passenger area. If its a Diesel Pusher, there goes another couple of feet to the generator compartment.

A toad, ( car being towed), will be necessary. Not all are capable. Most that are need a modification to either the transmission, a pump, or the drive shaft, a disconnect.

A MO adds two more engines to be maintained, the main and the generator. Power jacks, slides, air brakes, etc. also add to maintainence.

If you have never driven a 13+ton thing with a tow extending over a total of 55'+ in length in congested, freeway traffic, with on ramp merges every 1/2 mile or so, you don't know what white knuckle driving is all about. Long haul truck drivers have no problem with this. I was scared the whole time. The stopping distance is several times greater than my current AS/Expedition combo..

Small country roads, out of the way campgrounds, county, state and federal parks with tight spaces are out of the question. Finally, it is almost impossible to back up with a tow, even a few feet. Therefore, you will need to keep driving after a wrong turn until you find a U opportunity. Of course, you really need to be very careful before you pull into anywhere to make sure you can get out the other end.

If you like private campgrounds with "big rig" sites, have the $ to afford the maintenence and your life style fits, then a MO might make sense. As I said at the beginning of this diatribe, its a matter of personal perference. However, moving from a Airstream to a MO involves a big adjustment.

Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:54 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Great Falls , Montana
Interesting comments about former diesel pusher owners switching to truck and trailers. Probably gonna be lots of opinions about this but I will throw in my 2 cents........ I am one of the Airstream diesel pusher guys.....grew up in a camper family, grandfather had several and went to Alaska from Florida for yearly trips. My Dad owned everything from VW popup camper to Class A, 5th wheel, and later downsized to Class B. His brother was the same with big Allegro MH with tag axle.

Are motorhome pushers more expensive than trailers....yes.
Are they expensive if crashed or damaged...yes
Are they easier to drive.....probably so. Most people have trouble backing up a trailer, in a motorhome with rear camera, its a breeze.
Do motorhomes handle better in crosswinds and poor weather condition...probably.
No one jack-knives in motorhomes and its a rare rig that you see blown into the median after a tire blow out.

My Dad said worst camper he owned was the 5th wheel because of the weight pushing his truck. When I was ready to buy my first rv, all 3 said same thing. "Better to drive something big and tow something little than drive something little and tow something big". That said, my first was a 27' Champion Telstar. Today I drive a 35' Land Yacht pusher towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I often forget is back there till I see the camera

Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote