Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Tualatin , Oregon
27' vs 25' with two young children?

We are about to purchase our first Airstream and we are torn between the 25FB and the 27FB. We live in the Northwest and are concerned about the additional length limiting access to state and national parks. Our children are three and six. Our tow vehicle is sufficient for either one. Do the bed orientation, microwave and additional storage make the additional length worth it? Our detached garage is 28'6" deep.
Thank you for your input!
Boosmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
I suspect you'll not find much difference in the sleeping arrangements of the two. Assuming you go with a queen, the difference will be a transverse bed in the 25, versus a fore and aft bed in the 27. The kids will be on the sofa or converted dinette. You can get a microwave in the 25 if you go with a convection/microwave oven instead of gas. If you don't use an oven much, that is an option.

The 27 will be a bit roomier, with more internal storage, but as you mentioned, there are size limits in some parks. We went with the 25 for that reason, plus tight maneuvering into our driveway. The tight driveway was the big driver.

Do have solar added, but know prices before you have any add ons included. A 150 watt panel, controller and installation is between $1100-$1200 at RV places. It might be a good idea to shop several dealers, including out of the area. You might find some folks more willing to negotiate on everything, coach included. The season is just starting here, but in a warmer climate, a dealer may see sales slowing, and be more willing to negotiate. Even with transportation costs, it could save you money.

Be willing to ask for things to be tossed in free. The worst the dealer can say is no. You might get what you ask for, or at least a good discount.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

Personally, I'd go for the 27. We have never had a problem getting in a state or national park with ours and that's the type of camping we like to do. We had a 34 footer when our kids were young and came with us, and we were able fit in most state and national parks with that too. To me the extra room makes a big difference in feel and utility. I like the larger pantry in the 27 and the larger closet. We had shelving put in on one side of the closet which gave us a lot more storage space. The other half is for the small amount of hanging clothes we bring with us and the broom and swiffer. When your kids get older they may want to bring friends too - the more spacious feel in the main living area of the 27 will be nice then, particularly on a rainy day

Either way, you'll have a great time and be making great family memories.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The maneuverability has much, much more to do with the tow vehicle (shorter wheelbase = tighter turns) than two feet trailer length. And much of the 25/27 length difference is behind the axles.

The bed orientation is important to many, but so is overall length. You have only 7" left over in your garage with a 27', and the garage is the best thing you will ever do for the life of your Airstream.

The best thing you will ever do for towing comfort and safety is use a Propride/Hensley hitch, and you may well get one soon after purcahse of the trailer. That adds 18 inches or so to the trailer length, so a 27' with Propride/Hensley will not fit in your garage; a 25' will.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Ironically I just posted a thread about comparing the 25, 27, and 28' models for space (other than for and aft bedding) interior storage, etc. I am surprised that more is not compared in this way.

My thought for you is based on my limited experience and also from readings. I read from those who travel state and national parks that 28' is the real cutoff point for many parks. While there are some spots to accomodate larger RVs it limits the options considerably in various parks, especially state parks. I cannot remember the name of the book but the authors had traveled extensively and found the longest length with still the most options at 28'.

What Doug says about storage is important to consider as well.

It seems that the two foot of length from the 25' to the 27'/28' foot (believe they are essentially the same length by an inch) is the bedroom. When the bed is turned 90 degrees the length increases 15 inches PLUS the forward end walk around space. Then apparently the remaining few inches are added to the mid section for wardrobe and counter space in the galley. Chime in 27 and 28 owners if you can elaborate on this issue.

What you need to know is what is gained by the two feet. My thought is that you would do well with the 25 or a 28. The 28 gives you a large area for seating and also a large bed and a dinette so you essentially have three separate bedding areas. The 27' also has the dinette but your non sleep seating is sideways or at the dinette- somewhat limited if you use it as a living room at all - TV etc. The maximum storage and using the bedroom as a changing room would come with twin beds in the bedroom and it also allows for easier locker access AND provides more exterior storage rather than just under the bed. I would go with a 25 twin or a 28 lounge with four people.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I wouldn't pick a trailer based on reading about Issues with length in some sites at some parks. If you are worried, pick a few parks, call them and ask what is the longest trailer they allow in any of their campgrounds. Keep in mind, many of the parks have multiple campgrounds, some of them may only hold a short trailer, but are you really planning on staying inside one specific campground and never leaving? No way. You will be driving, biking, hiking...so does it really matter if 1 or 2 of the multiple camping areas are limited to a certain size?

Take the Teton's for example. Jenny lake is the most popular place and it's limited to super short rigs. We have stayed a few miles away at one of the other nice park campsites and visited Jenny lake like the other millions of folks.

Get the trailer that fits YOU, there are campsites that will fit the trailer.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
I wouldn't pick a trailer based on reading about Issues with length in some sites at some parks. If you are worried, pick a few parks, call them and ask what is the longest trailer they allow in any of their campgrounds.
I agree that people should get what they need and want but it is an excellent question. What I referred to was not only what the longest trailer a particular park accommodates but also overall. In other words while park A may accommodate rvs up to 40 feet, they may only have two 40 foot spaces and thirty two 30 foot and under spaces limiting options and potential availability. That is what the book mentioned to be aware of. In their travels, they found such things to be so. What you mention about other places is a good idea too. It is an alternative way of dealing with length.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Note some actual lengths:

25' Airstream is 25' 11''
27' Airstream is 28'
28' Airstream is 27' 11"

A Propride /Hensley hitch adds about 1 1/2' depending on the position of the movable coupling.

Your garage is 28' 6" (inside?)

What difference does campsite size make if your can't store it at home?

doug k
Old 04-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
...Your garage is 28' 6" (inside?)

doug k
Really? There are many of us out here that can't store our trailers at home and I would bet even a larger number who can't fit one into our garage. I really don't think this is a helpful comment.

As far as the difference between the 25FB and the 27FB when it comes to your two kids, there will be none. Assuming that they will not be in bed with you, "their space" will be the same.

I have a 25FB and would prefer to have the larger 27 so I would suggest you go that way if you can. The length will not be an issue IMHO.

Good luck, you are looking at a very nice floor plan.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Note some actual lengths:

25' Airstream is 25' 11''
27' Airstream is 28'
28' Airstream is 27' 11"

A Propride /Hensley hitch adds about 1 1/2' depending on the position of the movable coupling.

Your garage is 28' 6" (inside?)

doug k
I just measured a Hensley and a ProPride and each only added about 8" to the length of the trailer for storage (unless you leave the stinger/hitch bar hanging in the hitch).
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Really? There are many of us out here that can't store our trailers at home and I would bet even a larger number who can't fit one into our garage. I really don't think this is a helpful comment.

As far as the difference between the 25FB and the 27FB when it comes to your two kids, there will be none. Assuming that they will not be in bed with you, "their space" will be the same.

I have a 25FB and would prefer to have the larger 27 so I would suggest you go that way if you can. The length will not be an issue IMHO.

Good luck, you are looking at a very nice floor plan.
All true, in this case referring to a detached garage they already have and plan to store their trailer in, as I understand their post.

doug k
Old 04-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
I just measured a Hensley and a ProPride and each only added about 8" to the length of the trailer for storage (unless you leave the stinger/hitch bar hanging in the hitch).
You are right, my error, I was thinking with the tow truck stinger installed, but of course it is disconnected in storage.

My point remains the same, only the 25' will fit the 28' 6" (inside) garage with a Propride/Hensley installed, and many think that's a worthwhile consideration.

doug k
Old 04-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
There is no difference in size of the bed 25RB, 25FB, or 27RB. It is a matter of orientation, fore/aft or east/west. The fore/aft orientation is easier to access for the second sleeper and easier to make up the bedding, that's the trade-off.

doug k
Old 04-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #14

Currently Looking...
Tualatin , Oregon
Thank you for all of your responses! The section of the garage that the Airstream will be stored in is "two car" and after looking at the space today I think we can fit it so, I think we're going for the 27FB. I don't think that we'll regret it but we may have regretted not having a microwave and a little better storage. We are soooooo excited and happy to be part of such a wonderful community!
Boosmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Terrific to have an Airstream, we all camp/travel with whatever we have and enjoy the heck out of it.

Hoping the Airstream will fit in your garage, it will add years to its life and reduce its maintenance requirements enormously (they drill/cut about 3,000 holes in the outer shell to assemble these trailers, then with fingers crossed seal them all with caulking, if you know what I mean). Have you checked the garage door height requirement to fit the trailer?

Take your time looking at trailers, take the family along, and have everyone decide where they will sit for an evening inside with inclement weather, now and the next few years. See if that 27' actually fits everyone, because the 28' is virtually the same length with more seating.

doug k
Old 04-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
We love our 27FB. We also strongly considered the 25FB and the 28. After almost 2 years on the road we've never regretted our choice of size and floor plan.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
Ketchum , Idaho
Don't forget to check the height! Airstreams are much taller than typical garage door openings.
nwmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We all love what we have, but if I had two growing children and your garage I would love the 28'. This is because of the L-shaped sofa and separate dinette, everybody has room to stretch out, or play table games/do hobbies while others lounge.

doug k
Old 04-22-2013, 12:56 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
2012 27' FB International
Mary Esther , Florida
Very happy we went with the 27. Visiting a dealer and going back and forth between the two sealed it for us. I don't think I could live without the extra storage on top of the bed being much easier to make/change sheets. We seem to end up in odd-ball climates and pack shorts and parkas and everything in between, so I'm happy for every extra inch. DH "threads the needle" and backs it into our tight and curving driveway like a pro. No regrets. Best of luck with your new AS!

Becky~
Old 04-22-2013, 01:25 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosmama View Post
Thank you for all of your responses! The section of the garage that the Airstream will be stored in is "two car" and after looking at the space today I think we can fit it so, I think we're going for the 27FB. I don't think that we'll regret it but we may have regretted not having a microwave and a little better storage. We are soooooo excited and happy to be part of such a wonderful community!
I think you've made the right choice - especially since "two small children" don't stay SMALL all that long. At some point they'll also want to invite a friend or two along. You'll bless that extra space more and more as they grow.

Happy trails, Paula