Old 04-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Terrific to have an Airstream, we all camp/travel with whatever we have and enjoy the heck out of it.

Hoping the Airstream will fit in your garage, it will add years to its life and reduce its maintenance requirements enormously (they drill/cut about 3,000 holes in the outer shell to assemble these trailers, then with fingers crossed seal them all with caulking, if you know what I mean). Have you checked the garage door height requirement to fit the trailer?

Take your time looking at trailers, take the family along, and have everyone decide where they will sit for an evening inside with inclement weather, now and the next few years. See if that 27' actually fits everyone, because the 28' is virtually the same length with more seating.

doug k

Old 04-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
We love our 27FB. We also strongly considered the 25FB and the 28. After almost 2 years on the road we've never regretted our choice of size and floor plan.

TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
Ketchum , Idaho
Don't forget to check the height! Airstreams are much taller than typical garage door openings.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:41 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We all love what we have, but if I had two growing children and your garage I would love the 28'. This is because of the L-shaped sofa and separate dinette, everybody has room to stretch out, or play table games/do hobbies while others lounge.

doug k
Old 04-22-2013, 01:56 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
2012 27' FB International
Mary Esther , Florida
Very happy we went with the 27. Visiting a dealer and going back and forth between the two sealed it for us. I don't think I could live without the extra storage on top of the bed being much easier to make/change sheets. We seem to end up in odd-ball climates and pack shorts and parkas and everything in between, so I'm happy for every extra inch. DH "threads the needle" and backs it into our tight and curving driveway like a pro. No regrets. Best of luck with your new AS!

Becky~
Old 04-22-2013, 02:25 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosmama View Post
Thank you for all of your responses! The section of the garage that the Airstream will be stored in is "two car" and after looking at the space today I think we can fit it so, I think we're going for the 27FB. I don't think that we'll regret it but we may have regretted not having a microwave and a little better storage. We are soooooo excited and happy to be part of such a wonderful community!
I think you've made the right choice - especially since "two small children" don't stay SMALL all that long. At some point they'll also want to invite a friend or two along. You'll bless that extra space more and more as they grow.

Happy trails, Paula
Old 04-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Unless you have an especially tall garage door, the Airstream may not fit. I think standard garage doors are 6` 8" . An Airstream needs almost 10 feet of vertical clearance.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
"Their space...LOL!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Assuming that they will not be in bed with you, "their space" will be the same.
Having raised two boys, "their space" quickly became ALL the space!
1991 Excella 29 foot w/ProPride 3P hitch
2006 Jeep Commander-V8 4.7L Tow package
aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Sounds like a plan Boosmama. I also want to repost something I found that is related to your question from another thread by the forum member Foiled Again. They were addressing someone's question on selecting a 25 or 28:

Foiled Again wrote: The 27 FB and the 28' are virtually the same length (don't try to understand it, just deal with it). To me the big difference between the 27 FB and the 28 are
A) dinette location
B) closet space

The dinette in the 28 is on the side over a wheel well... so it comfortably seats 2 adults and 2 children. The end dinette on the 27 will really seat four adults and is a bit wider. The 28.... find the closet I dare you. It's twice as big or more on the 27. The 28 has a couch that the 27 lacks.

You choose what works for your family.

Just my two cents.

Take your time, it's easy to buy then trade, but it will cost you a bundle!!!!! Before you purchase go to a big dealer or a big rally and spend real time inside both units. Also check "throne room" and sleeping comfort. If either of those are wrong, they'll become ever bigger irritations over time.

Paula

The main point is to pick what works for your camping lifestyle. The 25, 27 or 28 will meet your bedding need. The rest is considering the livability. If you get can live with the twin option in the bedroom, you gain quite a bit- storage, a dressing room area and better locker access. Also, the "twin" size is deceptive. My twins measure with the wall to mattress "crack" as I call it 35.5 wide by 80" - that is basically half a king bed with a slight curve at the head of course!

Quote:
We all love what we have, but if I had two growing children and your garage I would love the 28'. This is because of the L-shaped sofa and separate dinette, everybody has room to stretch out, or play table games/do hobbies while others lounge.
I agree with you Doug on this one. That is how my family "behaves" at night. Watching a movie or playing a game. Now, even though I travel mostly solo, I too still use the living area as a lounge and just a couch like my floor plan has, is sufficient; however, it depends on how Boosmama's familiy plans to use the living area - dinette oriented or lounge oriented. What you could do Boosmama, is take everyone to the dealer. Get in the trailer and sit around in the living area for about 30 minutes. Get an idea of what it would be like.

It sounds like you have done your homework!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
Good luck with your decision, and congrats on your upcoming AS purchase!
Old 04-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Note some actual lengths:

25' Airstream is 25' 11''
27' Airstream is 28'
28' Airstream is 27' 11"

A Propride /Hensley hitch adds about 1 1/2' depending on the position of the movable coupling.
Yes -good point both on the PP & HaHa hitch's and the actual length of the trailers - the names can be misleading....
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosmama View Post
The section of the garage that the Airstream will be stored in is "two car" and after looking at the space today I think we can fit it so, I think we're going for the 27FB.
Good Choice! :-) Happy Airstreaming!

Brad and Maggie
Old 04-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Double check your garage dimensions (height and width, too) as that is where you need to be most "comfortable". We don't feel that we gave up anything choosing the EB 25 over a less expensive 27 at the dealership...we have microwave and slightly less storage space in the AS but we learned to conserve space in first a 16 and then a 20. You will enjoy either the 25 or 27 with your children for all those weekend mini vacations. We have been out with ours dry camping since Valentine's Day in February! Don't sell short the ease of backing & parking a shorter trailer ... two feet looks different on paper than it does in your garage or in a parking spot outdoors ... as a NPS ranger I watched the frustrations of many campers trying repeatedly to back into a space and eventually giving up ... to go find a "pull through" outside of a park.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Two good points, mefly2 (Jerry?). The growing family should fit the camper and the camper should fit the garage.

doug k