Old 08-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Coburn , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedonclassic View Post
Welcome to the forum, Flyfishntier. I'm sure you will enjoy the new 34'er. We enjoy ours and have lived in it 2-3 months out of the year for the last couple years. We find the space very adequate for 2 people. Tell us more about your set-up. Slideout or not, brake controller, etc. Let me or all of us on the forum answer your questions when you have them. Be prepared for questions from the public like the one I had just a few days ago "Is that your Airstream? How big is it? That's a beautiful RV.
You'll enjoy towing with the Hensley as I have and the hitching is easy after the first few times. You won't go wrong when you upgrade your TV to a 3/4 ton diesel as any of the big 3 would be a great TV for the 34. Enjoy. See you down the road.
The brake controller is the BrakeSmart, which monitors the brake pressure in my TV brakes to provide a proportional trailer brake relative to the TV. The BrakeSmart is compatible with the electric/hydraulic brake actuating system on the trailer, which is a Dexter Brake Actuator. The trailer has Dexter axles and disc brakes, also. The BrakeSmart does not rely upon pendulums or accelerometers like other brake controllers seem to. Instead, it relies upon microprocessors and a pressure sensor mounted at the TV master cylinder that measures the output pressure of the TV and converts that measurement into a signal that is sent to the Dexter Brake Actuator on the trailer. It works very, very well! It is worth every penny, much like the Hensley Arrow is worth every penny. And, if anyone is interested, then contact Lucas at Dr. Performance in Weatherford, Texas at 877.338.7373. BTW, I have no financial interests at all in BrakeSmart, Dr. Performance or Hensley Manufacturing.

As for the 34 AS, it is a front ultra-leather sofa layout with vinyl flooring throughout that replaces the carpet in the lounge and bedroom. Did not want to deal with trying to keep carpeting clean in such a relatively small space. It has two air conditioners, a 10 cubic foot refrigerator, a 3 burner range with oven, a regular microwave, a 600-watt inverter system, it is pre-wired for solar, and it has the upgrade audio/visual package plus another wall bracket in the bedroom for another video monitor, whether television or computer. I am sure that certain personal adaptations will be made to suit the full-timing, fly fishing and fly tying lifestyle; however, the stock 34 Classic Limited is pretty sweet and it just looks so darn cool!

Old 08-18-2009, 06:49 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
I thought that when Actibrake went out of business, Airstream went back to drum brakes for the Classic Limited.. Your 34 has a Dexter Brake Actuator and disc brakes. Is this the new A/S standard or a custom job?

Barry

Old 08-18-2009, 10:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
As a past member of the "34' Club" I can tell you that you'll really enjoy that trailer! My only piece of advice: don't try to squeeze it in to a tight gas station!

Roger
I wil second this advice! I tow a mere 30' Classic, but the potential for bent aluminum always seems to be the greatest at gas/fuel stations. Even if it looks empty when you pull in, you just never know who or what might pull in and force you into a squeeze situation. There are also the posts that are placed to protect the gas tanks....not always easy to see and easy to overlook when you are pulling out.

A few times, I have even found a place down the road to unhitch, sending my husband back with the TV to gas up, rather than get into a bad situation. Most of the time, we try to leave wherever we are camped with a full tank!

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 08-19-2009, 08:25 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Coburn , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
I thought that when Actibrake went out of business, Airstream went back to drum brakes for the Classic Limited.. Your 34 has a Dexter Brake Actuator and disc brakes. Is this the new A/S standard or a custom job?

Barry
Barry

It is not a custom job. My 34 AS came from Jackson Center with Dexter Torflex torsion bar and arm suspension system, Dexter Nev-R-Lube wheel bearings, Dexter disc brakes and the Dexter E/H 1600 electro/hydraulic actuator. You will have to ask the Jackson Center folks (or Thor Industry folks) if such a set-up is the new standard. I was told that when ActiBrake folded, AS had to scramble to find a willing and able supplier for 2009 models (I was not told if all 2009 models or just 34 footers or some combination where at stake), and even though the Dexter actuator was $300 to $800 dollars more expensive than the ActiBrake, they decided to do the right thing and opt for a quality product. As for the disc brakes, I was simply told that they were just part of the deal. Of course, I am very pleased for my good fortune.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Coburn , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
As a past member of the "34' Club" I can tell you that you'll really enjoy that trailer! My only piece of advice: don't try to squeeze it in to a tight gas station!

Roger
Roger

Thanks for the advice. I do not intend to play chicken with volatile organic chemicals.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Coburn , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5 View Post
I wil second this advice! I tow a mere 30' Classic, but the potential for bent aluminum always seems to be the greatest at gas/fuel stations. Even if it looks empty when you pull in, you just never know who or what might pull in and force you into a squeeze situation. There are also the posts that are placed to protect the gas tanks....not always easy to see and easy to overlook when you are pulling out.

A few times, I have even found a place down the road to unhitch, sending my husband back with the TV to gas up, rather than get into a bad situation. Most of the time, we try to leave wherever we are camped with a full tank!

Warbler5

Thanks for the advice. I do not intend to play chicken with volatile organic chemicals.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:13 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Flyfishnier: I just started a new thread on an issue I have had with my Actibrake system and my Brakesmart controller. I'll be interested in knowing how your similar system works on the long term. You might want to read that new thread. I think the Brakesmart is a good controller but for some unknow reason mine didn't work well with my Actibrake system. It's one of those things where it is difficult to determine where this issue is coming from.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Coburn , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedonclassic View Post
Flyfishnier: I just started a new thread on an issue I have had with my Actibrake system and my Brakesmart controller. I'll be interested in knowing how your similar system works on the long term. You might want to read that new thread. I think the Brakesmart is a good controller but for some unknow reason mine didn't work well with my Actibrake system. It's one of those things where it is difficult to determine where this issue is coming from.
Understood, but I do not have an ActiBrake actuator. As I posted previously, my 34 Classic Limited Airstream came factory equipped with the Dexter E/H 1600 Brake Actuator. Everything works flawlessly so far. I'll keep my eye on your new thread, and it was wise to talk to Lucas at Dr. Performance.