Old 01-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
A lot of good comments to which I can only add - don't let the long bed and crew cab intimidate you unless you have a specific restriction to deal with - such as the "too short" garage already mentioned. Otherwise, you'll learn to love the stability of that long wheelbase! Note that my TV is the dually version of the long bed crew cab and, like most dually owners, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Originally Posted by Rebee
I think the Chevy is a good tower. Some consideration should be given to the engine.

A diesel will provide the power to pull a 31 ft AS comfortably, If you plan climbing any serious mountians the diesel will earn its keep. There is some serious cost for the diesel upgrade. I have a 2007 Dodge w/Cummins 6.7 ltr diesel 2500 Quad Cab, short bed, 4X4. I tow a 2002, 30 ft AS classic (8000 lbs curb weight, estimated loaded at 10,000 lbs). I had a 2003 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab, Shortbed, w/HEMI, 2X4, it worked hard pulling my Classic. My present diesel under the same conditions pulls with power to spare.

I would recommend the short bed with a shell. The short bed will make backing and handeling the AS much easier, better turning radius and more maneuverable. A shell will provide covered storage and locks on the tail gate and shell will secure your generator, tools and other important items.

Think about a hitch which will be very stable in a serious cross wind. I use a Hensley but many people are concerned about the cost. I have been in serious cross winds (gust over 40 mph) with no problem. Many 18 wheelers try to shake my rig with no affect.

Chevy makes a great truck. The Dura Max with the Allison transmission and 3.73 rear ratio will make a great tower and a good daily driver.

I use a Subaru 3400 wisper quiet generator
How is that Subaru generator????

Brian & Donna
08 27' Safari FB SE
03 Avalanche 2500
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Originally Posted by RIstream'n
How is that Subaru generator????
Could it be a Robin-Subaru?

Hi Yo Silver, Away II?
looking for our next AS
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Welcome to 31 ft club !!. Great advice so far. All depends on if you want to spend now or later down the road. Like FinalcutJoe suggested, get Hensley + backup cheap camera. As for Gen, I have Honda EU 6500 (250LB overkill) bolted to the TV bed (heavy & not easy for lazy thieves). Will advice you go with the EU 3000 so that it can fit under the bed cover but bolt it down or get a cheap Harley H/Duty chain down. Any of the Honda EU series are campground friendly (low 65 dB ). Long or Short bed depends on your needs like 80 gall tank that fits under the bed cover ( I dont like pulling into those small gas stations or forced to buy diessel when I don't feel like)), cooler, portable freezer for additional long trips. It's always better to keep the AS as light as possible, ( below it's total gross Wt as much as possible) . I hate flat tires - not good for the AS wheel well.
I spent upfront and no regrets - 2006 31Ft Classic + Hensley + Honda EU + F450 Harley with bacpup camera ( came standard on 2009s). Please post pictures when you take delivery, can't wait to celebrate with you.
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1970 31' Sovereign
danville , California
another option for the generator is to romove the front tow hooks, bolt in 2" recievers in each hold than use 2" square stock and a couple of 2x6s cut to length and run the gen up front and give you total bed space. My old man did this on his f350 psd, we got tons of looks rolling down the vegas strip at night trying to get to the camp ground. A couple of people actually stopped in the crosswalk to look at the set up.
gmwelder86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
We are pulling our 2005 31" Classic with a 2005 Chevy HD2500 Duramaz and couldn't be more pleased. Rather than installing a topper, we went with a roll-up to give us more flexibility. We have a standard WD hitch with sway bar installed by our dealer and it works fine. Since we wanted to carry our bikes with us we had a welder build a bike rack support that attaches to the top two empty holes of our WD hitch. The bike rack is a standard Swagman hitch mount with the new extension so that it runs high enough to clear the Airstream. We can still open the rollup bed cover with the bike racks installed to remove gnerators, etc. while on the road. Attached is a photo of that installation.

We also have two Honda EU2000i generators that we run single for general power and dual when we need air conditioning. You will be very satisfied with the 31 foot layout. We often are on the road for 4-5 weeks at a time and the extra space comes in handy for long trips. We travel across the Smokey mountains on our way to South Carolina and we don't even feel a trailer behind us. We pass all truckers on steep inclines with no effort and average nearly 14 miles per gallon pulling our rig. You will really enjoy your new Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Rack.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	97793  

wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote