Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
wrs
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Lindsay , Ontario
2005 30' Classic Owner wants advice on Black Water Tank Issue

Hi all. I'm an Ontario Canada resident new to the Forum, original owner of a 2005 30' Classic with a black water tank valve issue. The valve handle movement has always been extremely stiff no matter what products I used. One bad outcome: the valve handle broke 8 years ago and was then welded back on with an additional rigid elbow for added strength. That worked until recently (still with a very stiff movement) when the handle suddenly would not retract completely, leaving the tank partly open. I have flushed the tank repeatedly with hot soapy water without success. I have limited skills and am considering having the entire black water tank (and valve) replaced by an Airstream outlet. Two questions: (1) what is that likely to cost? .. and ..(2) should I pursue a different option? I'll appreciate all thoughts on this.

Ross
wrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
I have a 2004 Classic 28 that has the same tanks as yours. I just fixed the exact same problem last month. On my AS, the black valve was very hard to operate since I purchased it two years ago. Turns out someone had replaced the valve and over-torqued the housing screws which hold it to the tank. This deformed and cracked the valve housing making it hard to operate. The best thing to do is replace it. Your post sounds like you are not inclined to do it yourself. Any RV dealer could do it for you.

If you are inclined to do it yourself, let me know and I can give you some step-by-step instructions on what to do.

Good luck! Its a fun job.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Just replace the valve not the tank I did both of mine past spring not a bad job if you have the tools and don't mind laying on your back .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:25 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfox45 View Post
Just replace the valve not the tank I did both of mine past spring not a bad job if you have the tools and don't mind laying on your back .
same here. The parts cost me about 170 bucks.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have rebuilt both valve this past year as the well as replacing the cracked adapters.
If you do it your self or a repair shop a hole can be cut in the pan and covered with a patch panel. If you do he work your self then consider rebuilding the valves. If someone else is doing the work then just get new as it is not worth the time/$$ as it would be a wash. Consider replacing the tank/valve adapter while they have this apart. These get old and brittle over time. I am sure it would take a technician 2 or 3 hours plus material cost.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
The replacement valve was $54 (Thetford 08709 3" Toilet Dump Valve). The Valterra T1029-2 Termination Adapter was $7. The miscellaneous pipe pieces from Home Depot were $35. Three hours time at $65 per hour $195. Total cost to have someone do it around $300.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:29 AM   #7
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Too late for this poster, but in the word to the wise department: the techs at the Jackson Center service center advised us to put a half cup of cooking oil down the toilet, followed by a pan of boiling water. Then, work the valve back and forth.

We often do our dishes in dish pans in the sink. When done, I empty them into the toilet. The soapy water as well as the additional volume helps keep the valves limber and the tank cleaner.....
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:10 AM   #8
wrs
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Lindsay , Ontario
Never too late for good advice! Our trailer is in our lane-way and we're still occasionally running hot water and soap through the toilet, hoping to free the blockage preventing full shaft retraction. We also wash our dishes in a pan and empty the soapy mix into the toilet and have used a variety of other products including cooking oil over time without ever gaining a smooth rod action. One (of many) of our errors we believe has been dumping at the end of our several Rallies in the season before driving home instead of using the drive itself for good effect and then dumping at our local landfill site's dump station. Thanks to all for the rest of you for good advice. Even if we free the current blockage, were still living with a never-ending stiff system complicated by that added-on welded elbow to the broken shaft for strength .. so we'll likely use our favourite local RV outlet and have them order in and replace the whole valve system.
wrs is offline   Reply With Quote