Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2014, 10:28 PM   #1

1988 35' Argosy 5th Wheel
little elm , Texas
1988 Argosy 35' 5th wheel new to Texas

After alot of looking,I finally found an Argosy 5th wheel in Pennsylvania,and hauled in back home in north Texas.It was bought new in 1991,the first owner had it parked for 19 years,and the 2nd owner parked it for the next 4 years,it is in good shape on the outside,inside is musky from a couple seam leaks.It hauled great,doing 75 through the mountains of Pennsylvania,west virginia and kentucky.I would like some suggestions on seams fix,like should I tape them or caulk.I'm in the process now of ripping out carpet,to put hardwood down,then beadboard on sidewalls,any suggestions are appreciated.I also have the original brochures and owner manuals.Oh and should i reupholster the couch or just find a new sleeper?Thxs
squarebale19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:47 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forum. If there is nothing wrong with the couch, you can get it re-upholstered, but look around to see if a new RV sleeper couch is more to your liking. The foam in your old cushions is probably also dry and crunchy from sitting, and could crumble to powder after you start using it.
A couple of things a new owner probably doesn't realize: First, the speed rating for ST tires is 65mph, any faster and they could start coming apart from centripetal force. Second, since your Argosy has been sitting for a very extended period (several times), you should check the suspension. IIRC, Argosy 5th wheels use torsion axles, and the rubber cords in them will stiffen into immobility if not flexed by towing.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:16 PM   #3

little elm , Texas
Thanks,I should have said in my post,that I put 16" aluminum rims from Tredit with Michelin 225/75r16 all around they a way better tire than what it had on.What is the best way to check the rubber cords(if possible).Also what about the shocks?Like i stated earlier it towed great for 1500 miles,but that doesn't mean i shouldn't check it out,any suggestions would help.I am in the process of removing some water damage ply and sidewalls.then i want to patch the seams,i was thinking about this 4 inch seam tape over caulking?
Old 07-17-2015, 11:54 PM   #4

columbus , Ohio
new to to the forum but also a new owner of a 88 argosy 5th wheel. i stumbled across this older thread and wondered what all you had to do for the re-haul on your 5th wheel. sounded like it had a little water damage was that hard to remedy? i'm about to start working on mine so i'm looking for any tips you've got !
Jmck0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:01 PM   #5

little elm , Texas
The first tip is buy a oscillating tool,probably my best friend on this job.Fix the roof first,seems to me after all these years the rivets had alot of stress so a good rivet gun and drill bits is a must.Your choice on what to use on the seems i'm still debating between vulcanizing tape or a rhino liner. i pulled all the carpet out and put wood floors,i had to section out some of the plywood before hand because of the swelling.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #6

columbus , Ohio
Thanks for the info. ill try to get a thread up with pictures when i start my rehab on the 5th wheel. im hoping to get started in the next two weeks. do you have any before and after pics of the changes you've made ?
Jmck0331 is offline   Reply With Quote