Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2017, 09:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Coarsegold , California
1986 345 MH questions

Hi: I am new to this so please bear with me. I just bought a nice (I think) 1986 345 w/ 73000 miles. I bought it sight unseen on Ebay and have a lot of questions. . I would like any and all input about the 345. Mainly right now I would like to know about the basic maintenance items I should check before I drive it 800 miles. The story is that it is ready to go, everything in top shape, but you all know that is probably not the case. I am reasonably capable of most mechanical things and have been around various vehicles all my life. I know what to look for in the generic sense but need to know about the 345 specifically. Like the air bags on the tag axle, etc. What sort of gas mileage would be considered normal? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance and I LOve this MH already and I haven't even seen it.
Mr Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:00 PM   #2
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Hi Mr Sunshine, welcome to the forums.

This is a great to part of the forum to place an introductory thread, but you may want to ask questions on the model specific sections, particularly in the case of the motorhomes, as the majority of active members only look in the section applicable to them (the overall forum is just too large and has too many posts).

So I suggest to start here (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311/) and review the many posts on things to check before trying to drive a new MH home.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
If nothing else for a quick list just to get it home, make sure it is safe for its drive, good rubber, good brakes and steering gear. Take a quick check of the engine and drive train to be sure that can handle the trip. If you are traveling in hot weather, make sure the engine cooling is fully functional.
As for MPG, and assuming it is a gas motor, if you are taking it unloaded and not too many hills to go up, probably 7 to 8 if it is tuned up.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Good advice above. I have bought two classics sight unseen so far. Both time, the first trip included problems with the ignition coil, and tow trucks. You should definitely have good roadside assistance insurance, I like Good Sam. Next time I will take a spare distributor and plug wires with me.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:54 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Coarsegold , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Hi: I am new to this so please bear with me. I just bought a nice (I think) 1986 345 w/ 73000 miles. I bought it sight unseen on Ebay and have a lot of questions. . I would like any and all input about the 345. Mainly right now I would like to know about the basic maintenance items I should check before I drive it 800 miles. The story is that it is ready to go, everything in top shape, but you all know that is probably not the case. I am reasonably capable of most mechanical things and have been around various vehicles all my life. I know what to look for in the generic sense but need to know about the 345 specifically. Like the air bags on the tag axle, etc. What sort of gas mileage would be considered normal? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance and I LOve this MH already and I haven't even seen it.
Thanks
Mr Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote