Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2011, 02:27 AM   #1
Still Learning!

1985 31' Excella
Los Angeles , California
1985 AS Excella 31'

Just bought my first AS and now a member of your club. I have no knowledge about what I bought. It is in great shape and looks perfect. Compair to other units that I have seen, this one seems to be in an imaculate condition... I followed my instinct!. I am told everything is in working condition except the fridge. Any reviews, news, warnings, good and bad things about this model is greatly appreciated.

Bardy
LAarchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:54 AM   #2
Still Learning!

1985 31' Excella
Los Angeles , California
RE: 1985 AS Excella 31'

Does anyone have a scailed floor plan for this model!? Or where can I get it from?
Thx.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:50 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Welcome! The only particular issue I know of is that some '80s trailers had OSB floors instead of plywood, and if there's a leak the OSB doesn't stand up as well to the presence of water. I'm pretty sure the change to water-based adhesive for the upholstered ceilings didn't happen until the early '90s, but I haven't found a reference to the exact year that changed.

Other than that it's just the usual stuff... systems and parts age and become less effective or fail. It's even possible that the refrigerator in your new-to-you unit can be repaired, it depends upon why it's not working at the moment. There are LOTS of threads about the various problems and fixes for Dometic refrigerators.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Rear or center bath?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
2005 30' Classic
1993 33' Land Yacht
Wellfleet , Massachusetts
I have a 83 Excella and have done a lot of work to mine I can tell you a lot about it Feel free to ask
Don.44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
Pics

Bardy
Welcome !
Now,please we gotta see some pics of that baby....
Old 10-12-2011, 02:05 AM   #7
Still Learning!

1985 31' Excella
Los Angeles , California
Thank you all. This is all new to me. I always wanted an Airstream and finally got one. I hope I have made the right choice. I simply followed my instict as I did 10 years ago when I spotted my first and last trailer. Some of you may know or heard of the one and only surviving 1960 Holliday House Geographic (Model 'X"). www.1960prototype.com

My new (to me) Airstream has a center bath and seems to be in great condition. I am going to post a few photos and I welcome any positive and negative remark about this model. I rather know and deal with it than not!
Old 10-12-2011, 02:33 AM   #8
Still Learning!

1985 31' Excella
Los Angeles , California
Thank you all. I am learning how to use the site. My last response did not get published may be because I mentioned a website!!! I always wanted to own an Airstream and this is my first . I hope I have made the right choice. I simply followed my instinct and thought it was in good condition and good buy. Center bath. My only experience with trailers has been with my first and last trailer, the 1960 showroom model ond prototype holiday House "Geographic". I spotted that rare unit 10 years ago, and sold it a few weeks ago.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:51 AM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Everyone who saw that particular trailer had fun passing the photo's along.

An RV is a system of systems. My take on these (any and all brands) is to bring them up to date on matters of road performance/safety. Once they can travel again without concern (relatively) then any other work necessary is less of a concern, IMO.

Axles, shell separation, and leaks/corrosion would head my list for (as TTT puts it) an "invasive inspection". Beyond what the boaters look to in a professional survey, but with the same extensive concern for indivudual systems and their affect on the whole. Search here for Buyer's Checklist.

Much depends on your inclination of how much to take on personally. Luckily you are close to INLAND RV in Corona, CA, one of the most experienced A/S shops in the USA. I like doing my own work, and I value as highly having more experienced eyes go over what I've done. Some work I'd rather have others do: more experience, better equipped shop, etc.

Much also depends on how you plan to use it. The occasional trip to mountains or beach is different than the reliability of a rig needed for cross-continent travels under the full range of climatic conditions in North America.

Welcome

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You really want to inspect that rear bumper area. It is prone to leaks. I just bought an 81 Excella and had some unplanned rear floor repairs. The good thing is you have a center bath so the floor area is relatively easy to fix since it is not under the bathroom. Look under the rear beds at the back corner. Pull up any flooring that is there. 30 yr old carpeting can hide a lot of problems. Other areas to inspect are in the front around the front door and where the end caps meet the straight sections.

Congrats on your new adventure.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #11

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Congrats on the Airstream. The Holiday House was one unique rig.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:10 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
2005 30' Classic
1993 33' Land Yacht
Could you please tell me what you mean where the end caps meet the straight sections ? I know what you mean about the floor in the rear Mine was bad in that area I believe water got in where the body meets the floor on the outside I repaired the floor and re sealed where the body meets the lower section above the storage box. Should I look for another area for a leak ?
Don
Old 10-13-2011, 01:33 AM   #13
Still Learning!

1985 31' Excella
Los Angeles , California
I am glad some one else asked the quesiton also. I have no idea what "where the end caps meet the straight sections" mean!!!
Old 10-13-2011, 05:15 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
The endcaps are the front & rear sections that are curved. They are shaped like pieces of pie & riveted together. The straight sections are the "walls" of the trailer along the street side & curbside of the trailer. There is a seam where the two sections meet on both sides. That is where my '86 had leaks too. That seam should be checked for leaks if you haven't checked already.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
Still Learning!

1985 31' Excella
Los Angeles , California
Got it, Thanks. Makes sense.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:06 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
2005 30' Classic
1993 33' Land Yacht
Leaks

OK I believe I understand now I have sealed that all up ..Has anyone ever painted/sealed their roof with Kool Seal to reflect the heat and seal up any leaks ?
Old 10-14-2011, 12:32 AM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAarchitect View Post
I am glad some one else asked the quesiton also. I have no idea what "where the end caps meet the straight sections" mean!!!
Interior and exterior. Double-skinned. You are going to have a lot of fun reading around here, I can tell (if indeed an architect). The stresses inherent to a semi-monococque design can make for frustrations in repairs, but the beauty of the design is forthright.

The history of materials used for interior furnishings ought to be right up your alley, as A/S has sadly increased the weight of the whole via "marketing pressures" without a comparable re-design of the chassis/shell (retroactively done, to some degree). Streamline used aluminum cabinetry rivetted to the shell which made for the largest interior volumes at the lightest weight while also reinforcing the structure. How's that for elegance?

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:49 AM   #18
Still Learning!

1985 31' Excella
Los Angeles , California
Point well taken. I must say that with my last trailer, the holiday House Geographic, I felt obligated and tried to keep the look and design the same no matter what I wanted to modify or repair due to it's rarity. With this one I feel more at ease. I believe there are ways to reduce some of trailer's weight. Why do I need to have drawers under the beds?! Most of us dont have drawers under our beds at home, but we still store things under our beds! I am planning to replace the sofa and beds with basically raised platforms/cushions with plenty of open spaces underneath. Drawers add a lot of weight and take away a lot of space/volume. Nice Bedspreads, bed skirts or simple fringes can cover what you store underneath. I am also planning to replace most of the overhead cabinets with open shelves with bars or strings similar to what you see in most train compartments. My fridge seems to be as big as a typical residential fridge. I can easily reduce the size, volume and weight by replacing it with an under counter type and turn the space above to counter space. Also since I doubt I ever use my oven in a trailer, I will replace the unit with an over the counter stove only. It would be great If I cound find something similar to what my Geographic had (see pics) wall mount units,,,very practical and space saver. Two sets of double burners were hidden in the wall. As you pull down one pair, the lights would go on. The hood's light would also go on automatically as you pulled it. All these will open space and reduce weight. Just my opinion!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0559.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	142701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Magic Chef Gas Foldaway-1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	142702