Got it, Thanks. Makes sense.

LAarchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:06 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
1983 31' Excella
2005 30' Classic
1993 33' Land Yacht
Wellfleet , Massachusetts

OK I believe I understand now I have sealed that all up ..Has anyone ever painted/sealed their roof with Kool Seal to reflect the heat and seal up any leaks ?

Don.44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:32 AM   #17
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Originally Posted by LAarchitect View Post
I am glad some one else asked the quesiton also. I have no idea what "where the end caps meet the straight sections" mean!!!
Interior and exterior. Double-skinned. You are going to have a lot of fun reading around here, I can tell (if indeed an architect). The stresses inherent to a semi-monococque design can make for frustrations in repairs, but the beauty of the design is forthright.

The history of materials used for interior furnishings ought to be right up your alley, as A/S has sadly increased the weight of the whole via "marketing pressures" without a comparable re-design of the chassis/shell (retroactively done, to some degree). Streamline used aluminum cabinetry rivetted to the shell which made for the largest interior volumes at the lightest weight while also reinforcing the structure. How's that for elegance?

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:49 AM   #18
New Owner
1985 31' Excella
Los Angeles , California
Point well taken. I must say that with my last trailer, the holiday House Geographic, I felt obligated and tried to keep the look and design the same no matter what I wanted to modify or repair due to it's rarity. With this one I feel more at ease. I believe there are ways to reduce some of trailer's weight. Why do I need to have drawers under the beds?! Most of us dont have drawers under our beds at home, but we still store things under our beds! I am planning to replace the sofa and beds with basically raised platforms/cushions with plenty of open spaces underneath. Drawers add a lot of weight and take away a lot of space/volume. Nice Bedspreads, bed skirts or simple fringes can cover what you store underneath. I am also planning to replace most of the overhead cabinets with open shelves with bars or strings similar to what you see in most train compartments. My fridge seems to be as big as a typical residential fridge. I can easily reduce the size, volume and weight by replacing it with an under counter type and turn the space above to counter space. Also since I doubt I ever use my oven in a trailer, I will replace the unit with an over the counter stove only. It would be great If I cound find something similar to what my Geographic had (see pics) wall mount units,,,very practical and space saver. Two sets of double burners were hidden in the wall. As you pull down one pair, the lights would go on. The hood's light would also go on automatically as you pulled it. All these will open space and reduce weight. Just my opinion!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0559.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	142701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Magic Chef Gas Foldaway-1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	142702  

LAarchitect is offline   Reply With Quote