Old 11-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Pensacola , Florida
Smile 1982 International 31', Full Time in January!

After window shopping for many years, we took the plunge last weekend and bought a 31' 1982 International with rear bath and center twin beds. We got it for $3k.

The interior is pretty clean, no weird odors and 95% original. I am in the Navy and will be living in it for about 6 months prior to deployment, starting in January - plenty of work to do before then! The first thing will be new tires and wheels. The existing have lots of dry rot and cracking, so they'll need to be replaced before we can tow it the 160-ish miles back to Pensacola.

After tires, the major projects are to replace one broken side window (next to door) new A/C unit, all new flooring, a new toilet, and lots of paint in the bathroom. There are some secondary projects like the awning, exterior decals, recovering the gaucho, adding TV, etc. that I will work on as I am able. Primary goal will be to fix everything "required" to make her livable as soon as possible.

We have done several complete investment property renovations in the past and it's been a while since we had a good project to work on! I'm looking forward to it.

I do have one question for the group...the flooring in the walkway between the rear closets - between the beds and rear bath - feels a bit soft and there's a noticeable dip there (you can kind of see it in the photos). The dip doesn't seem to extend in to the bathroom, it's just one low spot from what I can tell with the carpet covering it. There's also some warping in the exterior skin just behind the wheels. I think this is in the general area of that inside floor dip, but i'm not sure if they are directly in line with each other. I could not see the subfloor in the bottom of the closets, to the sides of the low spot. I looked pretty carefully at the frame and the bottom rear perimeter and didn't see any gaps or other signs of frame sag/separation, but that spot in the floor has me a little nervous. Any thoughts? Like I said, all new flooring is in order so I will be taking up all the carpet ASAP once we get her home.

Thanks, and glad to be here! I'm sure I'll be a regular in the months to come!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0581 (533x800).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	200757   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0582 (533x800).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	200758  

Name:	DSC_0590 (800x533).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	200759   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0597 (800x533).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	200760  

Name:	DSC_0578 (533x800).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	200761   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0588 (533x800).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	200762  

Name:	DSC_0595 (800x533).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	200763  

guinnessgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
Congrats on your purchase!!

We are newbies too, so I will let the experienced folks give you advice on the floor.

I hope that you will enjoy the time before deployment and thank you for your service!

Happy thanksgiving!!

samyjam14 is offline   Reply With Quote