Old 06-25-2009, 06:51 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Wow, that looks great. You are a perfectionist. I tend to rush.

I went camping/ Courtesy parking at my parents this week for fathers day. My dad did not know that his fathers day present was to help me polish my Argosy. He does not understand the Airstream life concept. But he was a good sport. We actually got the whole lower portion done in 2 days, still need to do the roof. We did one cut with regular rubbing compound because it was cheaper and had a better cutting action with less elbow force. Then we hit it with the F7 and got a nice mirror finsh (in most places). It still need to be hit again. There are a few spots that are still a little dull but I wanted to get all the way around before my drive home today. The pads from Vintage Trailer supply worked GREAT. when they got dirty you could just rinse them out, let dry and continue on. They were very well made. I still need to paint the end caps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6230047.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	82943   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6240112.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	82945  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P6240110.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	82946  

nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
More progress today...

Nick,
2 days?!? Your Argosy looks great! What a father's day present HAHAHA. Did you strip all the paint off the sides or did you get it already that way? My front endcap, at the top sides (where it is compound curved) and the bottom sides (where road debris hits) did not shine up and are still dull as well. I was also happy with the compound pads. I got 5 of them and it is just right for a long days work. My wife has been washing them and the rags in the washing machine at night for me so they are ready the next day. She says I owe her a washing machine when we are done since it has stained it black.

Progress...
I got the door polished today. A little slower going but it got hot early today so I had to stop. 1 more day off work to get it as far as I can.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Nevermind Nick

I just checked out your restoration process pages. I thought I took on a big project and must love torture but you... wow. That was alot of paint removal.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:21 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grosse Pointe Park , Michigan
Truly amazing!

It already looks terrific, what an enormous difference! I hope to get to the windows this week, in between trips. I'm putting aside my dreams of mirror shine like yours until we stop spending money on necessities like safety and road-worthiness. I will be at Airstream Factory on Tuesday for newish front seats, maybe a water heater and we'll see what else. Then we're heading to the west coast of Michigan to camp for the Fourth--
keep up the terrific work. You are going to have a showpiece on your hands soon.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Moving my progress info to a blog

I guess a blog is a better place to put this so I added a blog entry and will put my progress there. Not sure why if only to document it.

Here it is if anyone is bored and wants to see how our "shiny turd" is turning out

http://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...adventure-456/
Old 07-06-2009, 11:07 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
HUNSTVILLE , Texas
Hi I am about to get busy polishing mine! I was wondering how long it has taken you to polish thus far? I have a 31' 1970 International and the oxidation is about like yours. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
polishing time

Sweet thing,
It is taking me quite some time but I am being a perfectionist which isn't a good thing while polishing a 31' trailer. On a good morning using Nuvite F7 compounding and Nuvite S (fine) I can do an area of about 5 feet wide from awning to ground in about 4 hours. Less time if there are no windows and more if there are. I am only working mornings on days I am off work (work nights). I was using a medium polish but found that it wasn't really needed. It seems to be getting faster without that extra polishing run. If you have a clearcoat on your trailer, make sure that is stripped or you will work yourself to death polishing that layer off.

Good luck,
Tadd
Old 07-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #22

1974 29' Ambassador
Westminster , Colorado
I'm surprised that no one suggests using an automotive buffer. Speeds are adjustable, and the motors are built for long continuous use. Plus pads are larger, and the buffer is more ergonomic. I have a Dewalt DW849 that I use for cars and cant imagine using a drill to do a whole car, let alone an entire Airstream. That being said, I would love to do to mine what you have done. Keep up the good work!
Old 07-10-2009, 12:34 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Auto buffer idea

Nate,
If I had an auto buffer handy, I may have tried that. I have never really done this before and was using recommendations from that Perfect Polish website. I was watching "Rides" a couple days ago and saw them polishing a car with a buffer and larger flexible pads you speak of and that did look simple. I'm over half way done now and I don't think my trigger fingers will ever straighten out at this point. If I had it to do over...

I have been putting gear oil in the $50 drill motor I'm using daily which is making it last fine.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:32 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Well Nate,
I would agree that getting an actual buffer from the start would have been a better idea. I used 2 older drill motors to start and both wore out quick (were probably on their last leg) and only did about 20 square feet total, I bought that $50 motor (stated in the previous post) and it lasted down to the last 5 square feet before the trigger and speed adjuster finally shorted out altogether?!? I went out and got a nicer motor this time just to finish up that last little bit of polishing since I needed a new drill to use as a drill. If I did it again, it would have been a better investment to get a DeWalt polisher (hindsight is always better). Anyway, I am happy to be complete at least having to polish 30 year oxidation, now just the yearly upkeep.