Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
polishing time

Sweet thing,
It is taking me quite some time but I am being a perfectionist which isn't a good thing while polishing a 31' trailer. On a good morning using Nuvite F7 compounding and Nuvite S (fine) I can do an area of about 5 feet wide from awning to ground in about 4 hours. Less time if there are no windows and more if there are. I am only working mornings on days I am off work (work nights). I was using a medium polish but found that it wasn't really needed. It seems to be getting faster without that extra polishing run. If you have a clearcoat on your trailer, make sure that is stripped or you will work yourself to death polishing that layer off.

Good luck,
Tadd
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #22

1974 29' Ambassador
Westminster , Colorado
I'm surprised that no one suggests using an automotive buffer. Speeds are adjustable, and the motors are built for long continuous use. Plus pads are larger, and the buffer is more ergonomic. I have a Dewalt DW849 that I use for cars and cant imagine using a drill to do a whole car, let alone an entire Airstream. That being said, I would love to do to mine what you have done. Keep up the good work!
1974Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:34 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Auto buffer idea

Nate,
If I had an auto buffer handy, I may have tried that. I have never really done this before and was using recommendations from that Perfect Polish website. I was watching "Rides" a couple days ago and saw them polishing a car with a buffer and larger flexible pads you speak of and that did look simple. I'm over half way done now and I don't think my trigger fingers will ever straighten out at this point. If I had it to do over...

I have been putting gear oil in the $50 drill motor I'm using daily which is making it last fine.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Well Nate,
I would agree that getting an actual buffer from the start would have been a better idea. I used 2 older drill motors to start and both wore out quick (were probably on their last leg) and only did about 20 square feet total, I bought that $50 motor (stated in the previous post) and it lasted down to the last 5 square feet before the trigger and speed adjuster finally shorted out altogether?!? I went out and got a nicer motor this time just to finish up that last little bit of polishing since I needed a new drill to use as a drill. If I did it again, it would have been a better investment to get a DeWalt polisher (hindsight is always better). Anyway, I am happy to be complete at least having to polish 30 year oxidation, now just the yearly upkeep.