Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Frostproof , Florida
Red face 1973 Argosy 24' in Central Florida

While we camped in the old girl a few times as is in the last couple of years, we decided to actually go to work on repairs and replacements recently. New AC (Brisk Air), new converter, pulled out all the gas appliances (as I almost died once from carbon monoxide poisoning and am irrationally frightened of gas...) so looking to replace with electric. Have a propane generator that sits outside the trailer to run the 12V. Of course, the more one pokes around the more one finds to do, as I know from reading posts here on Airforum. You guys are so generous with your help--really, a marvel in today's world. I'm very happy to be part of this group and hope to offer any expertise I develop as I learn, or perhaps you can learn from my mistakes!

Our current project is removing the PO's contact paper with way-strong adhesive from the factory contact paper used on Argosy cabinets. I hear 3M makes an adhesive remover just for this purpose. Unfortunately, some of the original woodgrain vinyl "paper" had bubbled and some is even missing from the luan wood. I've discovered that I must fill the pores of the exposed luan with wood filler, sand, and then paint or replace with new wood grain contact paper, and, of course, prepare the vinyl woodgrain, too, if painting. I'm leaning towards painting. The tech support at Sherman Williams has given me tips on how to paint the original vinyl successfully (I hope!)--according to SW, the Fusion paint for plastic should NOT be used on vintage vinyl contact "paper". Instead, prime with a stain covering high quality latex primer such as Zinnzer, then use an enamel from Sherman Williams called "All Service", or equivalent.

I so enjoy seeing the work everyone does to improve and maintain their trailers. I've posted a handful of photos in Members Photos under the name Carolinda, if anyone wants to see what we're up against. Maybe we'll be camping ready by next spring?
Carolinda is offline   Reply With Quote