Old 07-05-2006, 10:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
1971 Overlander International - New Member

Just wanted to introduce myself and thank you all for the information. Spent countless hours combing through your posts while looking for our Airstream. We picked this trailer up on 7-3.

After looking for months we finally found this Airstream only 40 miles away. It's in above average condition (from what I've seen) but needs a ton of TLC - mostly in the form of a good scrubbing. All of the drapes, upholstery, carpet and the mattresses were replaced in 98 by Airstream, along with the refrigerator.

Some of the tambour doors I'll have to repair - trim issues - broken oven handle - rusted area below the door and a minor window leak (I'm sure there is much more we don't know about yet). First items are door and vent seals, rebuilding the battery box - replacing the clearance lights - repairing a 2" wide strip of wood rot at the edge of the trunk and then just testing everything in actual use.

Will leave you with a first lesson learned. Spoke to the folks at Airstream Monday about how to jack the trailer up for service - they advised "never never never never put a jack under the axle". Mentioned that in passing to the RV dealer and he looked at me dumbfounded.

Promise to try and search the forums so I'm not asking something already out there. Thanks again for all the great information.

Old 07-06-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Ganglin, congratulations on your "new to you" Airstream and welcome to the forums! Sounds like you're off to a good start. Post some pictures when you get a chance and good luck with your project!

Old 07-08-2006, 09:58 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Welcome!

Welcome to the group! Nice to see someone in the area join. Plenty of good info here, and I can personally help out if you need. We have just about completed our '65 Overlander and are considering joining the Columbus Oh wbcci soon, anxious to meet/travel with other vintage owners in the near future. --dave
Old 07-08-2006, 03:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Thanks. Sure we will have many questions. Like today - can't find grey glazing compound to redo the windows at some point. Also, can't find something called Silaflex - apparently used to seal tops of windows..? What is the wbcci? Ours is going into a campground at least until we get the grunge out of her. Thanks .... gary
Old 07-08-2006, 10:23 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
Thanks. Sure we will have many questions. Like today - can't find grey glazing compound to redo the windows at some point. Also, can't find something called Silaflex - apparently used to seal tops of windows..? What is the wbcci? Ours is going into a campground at least until we get the grunge out of her. Thanks .... gary
You may be looking for a sealant callled Sikaflex. My suggestion would be to contact Midwest Sealants on Huntley Rd. He'll have all the right stuff for your rig, just tell him what your doing. He steered me away from the Vulkem in favor of a better polyurethane based sealant (Dymonic FC) made by the same company (Tremco). He also carries Sikaflex.
WBCCI= Wally Byam Caravan Club International. Wally Byam pioneered Airstream travel trailers. You may notice some Airstreams have red numbers at the front and back of the trailer. These are their registered numbers in an Airstream-only club. Here's the site: http://www.wbcci.org/ Many members of this forum belong. There is also a sub-group for vintage Airstream owners at http://www.airstream.net/ If you like, let me know where your going to be camping at, the wife and I may stop in and camp nearby for the weekend. I'll even pack a few tools! --dave
BTW- If you can, post some pics of your rig!
Old 07-09-2006, 12:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Thanks for the information. Knew who Wally was but not about the Club. We're putting her at a place called Tree Haven - north of New Albany near Hoover Lake (when the dealer ever finishes the grease and new jack). Very old fashion campground - should be good for getting some interior work done. Finally figured out how to compress and post photos - there under my photo gallery.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Let the Questions Begin

Finally have the trailer parked in a place I can evaluate/work on her. Have to admit - already commited the mistake many of you have warned of - trying to plan too many jobs at once when I haven't even washed the mung off the interior walls yet.
1. The A/C works (yeah) - two thermostats one for furnace in bunk area - one for air in living area which doesn't seem to control anything - all control is at the A/C unit only...?

2. New battery but still have an "original" univolt converter. Seems the popular thing to do is install a "smart" converter. A/S owners manual says the univolt will charge the battery then shut down. Do I really need a new converter?

3. The material at the glass edge and frame appeared to be standard grey window glazing and is dried out in places. Ordered glazing in order to find grey. Now I not so sure thats what it actually is. Plan was to cut it out along the glass and replace it. Does anyone know if its glazing or maybe a rubber gasket.....

4. Prior owner installed a standard light switch in one of the bunks. Finally figured out that it actually cuts off all a.c. current to the trailer. Anyone have any idea why he would have done that.

Thanks much......