Old 08-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Blog: ameliaairstream.com

1970 27' Overlander
Fillmore , USA
1970 Overlander twin

Hi everyone,

I didn't know this thread existed or I would have made my first post here!

We bought the above capsule on impulse, about 10 days ago? It was parked for 7 mo. at my dear, patient next-door nabe's property. Short story short, it's ours now. But still parked at neighbor's. We need a tow vehicle.

We have a mechanic picking the trailer up on Friday. We've taken lots of photos (http://www.flickr.com/photos/organiz...57635060388488) and have removed the old insulation from under the bunks, cleaned, and plan on removing the bunks and gaucho again when it stops raining. The goal is to pull the carpet and use that as a template for a sheet of Marmoleum to cover the entire floor.

Lots of original textiles that we no longer want are tossed, along with lots of 70s cooking gear. But I was heartened to see everything carefully washed or dry-cleaned, covered and hung carefully for the next outing. We met the original owner and he filled us in on how many miles he put on the rig and so forth. Nice man, very fastidious w his home and toys.

Spouse purchasing a new battery today and with mechanic's help we will test the LP system and water and the appliances on Friday. Considering the overall shape, we are cautiously optimistic. We only found one tiny spot of floor rot on the back edge.

We need a 1970 user's manual, good sources for fabrics and foam including latex. I don't want to paint the interior vinyl, it's in good shape. Some discolor around the front upper endcap--maybe they were smokers?

I have lots of questions but have already found invaluable answers in these threads. SO happy to have found this place!

Perri

Old 08-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #2

1970 27' Overlander
Fillmore , USA
More

I'm in NY state but am a transplanted CAlifornian. We will be moving west to CA some time in the next 6 months. I bet my husband will be posting here, too. His name is Ralph. He is a retired filmmaker. I am a creative in advertising and marketing.

Here is the edited flickr set of the Overlander: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1158209...7635060388488/

Thanks for your support. ;-)

Old 08-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Ringoes , New Jersey
Welcome

Welcome to the forums. Sounds like you found a well loved Airstream ready for the next 40 years. Please post some pics and keep us informed of your restoration progress. PS don't forget to go camping! John
Old 09-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #4

1970 27' Overlander
Fillmore , USA
The repairs are proceeding well. Carpeting is out, there is no rot in the subfloor. Broken windows fixed, propane hoses fixed and the electrical system has been inspected and repaired. New brakes, 4 new tires. Much more. We found a guy who rehabs boats to rebuild the gaucho with new foam but I need to get the fabric chosen. I'll remake the drapes. Trying to find the best deal on Marmoleum!

Not to worry, John, we are planning to take a month +/- to relocate from NY to CA, towing the AS. We hope to leave before November 1. Still looking for tow vehicle. Looking at 3 Suburbans and a Yukon XL this w/e.

In other good news, our house sold.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
YOu have a great find. We are in the process of pulling the shell off of our 1970 because the rot was so bad.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #6

1970 27' Overlander
Fillmore , USA
I love the photos of your Tradewind. The chartreuse interior? Wow, gorgeous. Did you sell your Tradewind and Sovereign?
Old 09-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Was unable to view pic's said that it was a private page without permission.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #8

1970 27' Overlander
Fillmore , USA
RM66caravel, I think I may have made a mistake and found myself in someone else's photo stream when I clicked on Aviator's 2 photos to find handsome hubcaps.

Anyway, someone has a Tradewind with a totally chartreuse interior and cobalt blue upholstery. Wowzer!
Old 12-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #9

1970 27' Overlander
Fillmore , USA
>Welcome to the forums. Sounds like you found a well loved Airstream ready for the next 40 years. Please post some pics and keep us informed of your restoration progress. PS don't forget to go camping! John

John, we've been on the road for a month now. My blog is ameliaairstream.com and you will find photos in the flickr stream I have linked on the blog. We are camping, alright. We expect to be traveling another month.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
It's all good I found them and it looks awesome!
Cliff
Old 07-16-2016, 09:24 PM   #11

1970 27' Overlander
Fillmore , USA
Update

We ended up taking 7 months to relocate, to SoCal rather than north where most of my family is. If my mom hadn't up and died she would have when I told her we live within an hour of L.A.

We have been camping since, lots of events with the Greater LA Airstream Unit of WBCCI. R just installed solar panels a month ago. We didn't boondock much on our x-country trip. At first we were afraid to use the bathroom; took a lot of faith. Backing up was also scary. Now we prefer dry camping and easily maneuver the rig into all kinds of funky spots, necessity being the mother of invention. We used to use a tent. It sure is nice to have a real bed with us. It's been a trip!